Top 25 Watch (real thread)

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Top 25 Watch (real thread)

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:36 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:33 pm
Great comeback by SMU. Great teams find a way to win when they play poorly and that’s what the ponies just did.

Also thanks for nothing Tulsa.
This game did not hurt us. We will be 26-28 in the polls. We beat ULL, look good doing it, and then we have a good shot to be ranked after next week.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:41 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:36 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Great comeback by SMU. Great teams find a way to win when they play poorly and that’s what the ponies just did.

Tulsa did not hurt or help us with their loss. We will be ranked when we deserve it in the eyes of voters. Missouri and Baylor deserve to be ranked over us anyway. If we look good against ULL then we have a real shot at it. Had SMU lost it would not have meant we would be ranked. Just means one more spot away heading into ULL, which is fine by me. I want to earn the ranking with a big win at ULL. Getting it on a bye week just does not seem right anyway.
That’s fine for you. For those of us who just want App to get the most votes possible and have the best possible shot at the NY6, an SMU loss would have obviously been preferable.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:42 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

This game did not hurt us. We were not going to get ranked no matter what. Too many teams had bye weeks and too many in the RV above or behind us won. We will get ranked when we earn it and we could earn it against ULL. #BeatULL
Any team ranked 20-25 that wins “Hurts” us in the sense that it’s a spot that won’t be available next week. SMU would definitely fall below us had they lost.

That said, the obvious negative here is NY6. Boise, SMU and Memphis currently sit on front of us IMO. Had SMU lost to Tulsa, it’d be one less team for us to worry about.
YNWA

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Oklahoma State, Cal and Michigan State losing should get App up to #26, unless someone else who received very few or no votes, like Cincy, Baylor or Missouri, jumps up big.

It could all depends on how far UCF falls from #18,

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:49 pm

SMU has MISSED 7, yes 7 Extra Points this season!!!

And Tulsa’s kickers, smh.

Ugly, ugly, ugly. Go you P6

FTE_rawr

Unread post by FTE_rawr » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:49 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:46 pm
Oklahoma State, Cal and Michigan State losing should get App up to #26, unless someone else who received very few or no votes, like Cincy, Baylor or Missouri, jumps up big.

If UCF is still ranked being a 2-loss G5 this early in the season, I will protest
---------------------------------------------
Class of '19

Mainly a reddit user, skimming message boards for App News.

Come talk at /r/CFB and /r/sunbelt

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:49 pm

T-Dog wrote:

I’d be stunned if they kept UCF in. A two loss G5 team ranked is, to my knowledge, unheard of.
YNWA

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:50 pm

T-Dog wrote:

I’d be shocked if they don’t fall out. In fact I think they get very few votes at all.

The teams you mentioned (plus Minnesota) are going to get nice bounces, though.

(Side note: Missouri is ineligible for the coaches poll because they’re on probation.)

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:55 pm

The fact that games like Michigan State vs Ohio State and Cal vs Oregon have a direct impact on us is so awesome.
YNWA

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:56 pm

I was shocked how little UCF fell after losing to Pitt, so I think there's some institutional memory that could help them. And I wonder how many of their voters will just switch to Cincy?

Having a number next to our name on Wednesday night on national TV, with no other football on otherwise, would be a big deal and another great milestone. We should all root for it to happen.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:00 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:41 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Tulsa did not hurt or help us with their loss. We will be ranked when we deserve it in the eyes of voters. Missouri and Baylor deserve to be ranked over us anyway. If we look good against ULL then we have a real shot at it. Had SMU lost it would not have meant we would be ranked. Just means one more spot away heading into ULL, which is fine by me. I want to earn the ranking with a big win at ULL. Getting it on a bye week just does not seem right anyway.
That’s fine for you. For those of us who just want App to get the most votes possible and have the best possible shot at the NY6, an SMU loss would have obviously been preferable.
SMU winning today did not hurt our chances at a NY6. If we get to 10-0 then outcomes of games can truly or help or hurt us in terms of placement. Right now is so early that in 3 weeks we could have a loss and it won't matter. Boise State, SMU, and Memphis could all lose in the next few weeks and then we get what we need.

My point is that it is just so early that none of this stuff helps or hurts us yet. We need to start worrying and counting votes come week 11 or 12 because that is when teams should have started to cannibalize themselves in the AAC and MWC.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:02 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:56 pm
I was shocked how little UCF fell after losing to Pitt, so I think there's some institutional memory that could help them. And I wonder how many of their voters will just switch to Cincy?

Having a number next to our name on Wednesday night on national TV, with no other football on otherwise, would be a big deal and another great milestone. We should all root for it to happen.
It definitely matters to recruits, so it should matter to us. “You wanna come play for a top 25 program that is broadcast nationally on espn? Cool turn your tv on”.
YNWA

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:03 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:00 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

SMU winning today did not hurt our chances at a NY6. If we get to 10-0 then outcomes of games can truly or help or hurt us in terms of placement. Right now is so early that in 3 weeks we could have a loss and it won't matter. Boise State, SMU, and Memphis could all lose in the next few weeks and then we get what we need.

My point is that it is just so early that none of this stuff helps or hurts us yet. We need to start worrying and counting votes come week 11 or 12 because that is when teams should have started to cannibalize themselves in the AAC and MWC.
By this logic, I guess it doesn’t matter that every single team in the SBC East has a conference loss except us... it gives us no leg up until week 11.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:05 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:56 pm

I agree and nobody is rooting against it. Many of us are just saying we don't think it happens.
They will vault teams like Cincy, Baylor, Memphis, and Missouri ahead of us most likely.

It will be just as cool to earn it based on what we do on ESPN. We have other chances to play on national TV with a ranking next to our name. I'm just saying that voters aren't likely to vote us in no matter what since we did not play. Plus, there were too many teams on a bye week around us. I'm sure they would push a P5 team on a bye over a G5 team on a bye when points were close anyway.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:05 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

My man, we get your point. You’ve reiterated 400 times. We are all well aware that going undefeated is a prerequisite for App to be NY6. Which is why none of us mention it.

It’s akin to saying “I’m gonna drive from
Charlotte to Boone this weekend”, but then you remind us all each time that we will only be able to if we have gas in our car. Like, yeah...we agree. Gas is definitely necessary.

Edit: no disrespect btw. I enjoy a lot of the content you post.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:11 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:03 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

By this logic, I guess it doesn’t matter that every single team in the SBC East has a conference loss except us... it gives us no leg up until week 11.
I'm talking about rankings. They are so fluid and many things will change is my point. My point is that if we keep winning we will rise up the rankings. I rather Boise State, SMU, Memphis, etc lose in 3 weeks from now or so. It will be way harder to pass us again. At this point they all have enough quality games in the eyes of voters that they could still pass us again with one loss. Part of why I approach it like this is because the SBC gets so little respect.

What SBC East teams do does not matter in week 3, 6, 10, or 11 as long as we win. We go undefeated and we WILL play for the SBC title and we WILL host it. We just have to handle our own business.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:13 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:05 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

My man, we get your point. You’ve reiterated 400 times. We are all well aware that going undefeated is a prerequisite for App to be NY6. Which is why none of us mention it.

Charlotte to Boone this weekend”, but then you remind us all each time that we will only be able to if we have gas in our car. Like, yeah...we agree. Gas is definitely necessary.

Thank you! And I sometimes worry if everyone gets it. My point has always been if we handle our own business and just win that these other team results don't matter. I don't worry about others losing until it truly helps us. The rankings are so early that it won't mean anything for us until teams behind or ahead of us lose or win for a few more weeks. The rankings are going to change a lot. That's all I'm saying.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:15 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:13 pm
ah59396 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Thank you! And I sometimes worry if everyone gets it. My point has always been if we handle our own business and just win that these other team results don't matter. I don't worry about others losing until it truly helps us. The rankings are so early that it won't mean anything for us until teams behind or ahead of us lose or win for a few more weeks. The rankings are going to change a lot. That's all I'm saying.
That’s all true.

I think some of us just enjoying the “what if” conversations. It’s not a worry, it’s just fun hypotheticals.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:26 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:15 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:13 pm
ah59396 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

That’s all true.

I think some of us just enjoying the “what if” conversations. It’s not a worry, it’s just fun hypotheticals.
I have more fun with them when things are truly within reach Any one of those teams or us could lose 2 of the next 4 games and it would completely disappear. We are in the hunt now because we are undefeated. Boise State and Memphis are both undefeated. We just need them to take a loss or two by conference championship weekend and we need to run the table. If that happens then we will 100% be sure to attain our goals. What we have on our plate is ULL. I am dreaming more about beating ULL by 20 points at night than I am thinking of the NY6. I'll start dreaming about that come November! lol

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:31 pm

@AppStFan1

That’s cool man. I’m dreaming now haha.
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”