How do we keep Drinkwitz!?!?

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: How do we keep Drinkwitz!?!?

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:48 pm

We need to find a T Boone Pickens.
Our success will create a revolving g door of coaches BUT I think people will wait to see how Drinks recruits pan out before the phone starts ringing

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:58 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:45 pm

It may not be as quick as some think:

Boise State-Transitioned to FCS in 1996 (and I did not research their salary budget for head coach and assistants):
Dick Koetter-3 Seasons (1998-2000) 26-10 Record, played in First Bowl-Humanitarian Bowl in 1999 --left for Arizona State
Dan Hawkins- 5 seasons (2001-2005) 53-11 Left for Colorado
Chris Petersen-- 8 Seasons (2006-2013) 92-12 Left for Washington
Bryan Harsin--6th Season (2014-Present) 58-15

Obviously, Arizona State, Colorado and Washington all wanted someone who could recruit the West Coast. Plus, Boise State has not been affected by the Coaching Transitions
You took the words out of my mouth! It is interesting that after Koetter all their head coaches were either already on the staff or had been previously (Harsin). We just have to continue doing what we have been and try not to outsmart ourselves when it comes to hiring, and our growth should continue.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:35 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:45 pm
Gratefulneer wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:43 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:18 pm
It's apparent from Drinks journey that he's not the kind of coach like J Moore was. He isn't going to stick around once those big offers roll in. Just a fact. I just wonder how many coaching transitions this program can handle. We will never have the money to compete with P5 programs so we will always be loosing coaches....... Of course we see P5 programs with crappy coaches.... So who knows.
Yea that’s my concern, how many transitions can this program handle.
It may not be as quick as some think:

Boise State-Transitioned to FCS in 1996 (and I did not research their salary budget for head coach and assistants):
Dick Koetter-3 Seasons (1998-2000) 26-10 Record, played in First Bowl-Humanitarian Bowl in 1999 --left for Arizona State
Dan Hawkins- 5 seasons (2001-2005) 53-11 Left for Colorado
Chris Petersen-- 8 Seasons (2006-2013) 92-12 Left for Washington
Bryan Harsin--6th Season (2014-Present) 58-15

Obviously, Arizona State, Colorado and Washington all wanted someone who could recruit the West Coast. Plus, Boise State has not been affected by the Coaching Transitions
Boise has done a great job maintaining continuity. Every one of those guys was promoted from within and/or played at Boise. Petersen had a medical situation with one of his kids that helped keep him around. Not sure what opportunities Harsin may have turned down.

Frankly, for all the worry on this board over Arkansas hiring Drink, Boise is the one I’m most concerned about should someone hire Harsin away. Then again as we learned with Satt, it’s not always the one you see coming.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:54 pm

It depends on what drink’s goals are.
If he wants a modest pay increase ASAP by going to an AAC conference or similar team, I would say next year depending on openings.
If he decides Boone is a good place to live and raise his kids for a while, and be patient like Satterfield and wait for truly life changing money, I would give it 3-4 years.
This opportunity can give a brief preview into his abilities as a HC, recruiting, sustaining success, overcoming adversity are all traits he will have to show, that thus far, he hasn’t had to do at App.
Big difference between taking over a successful program, and instilling a winning culture from a dumpster fire.
Giving to YC is important and should be done as often as possible, but the reality of it is, we will not be able to be in the same realm as P5 schools in the foreseeable future, if ever.
Jerry Moore was an anomaly. Someone who valued stability and community over money. Don’t expect to find that again. If we do, we are beyond lucky

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Money, money, and money. My girlfriend and I have already decided that we will be purchasing season tickets next year. It is imperative that we keep young alumni involved.
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:37 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:23 pm
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and enjoy the ride for now. It's too early this season to speculate about Drinkwitz leaving us. And this is coming from a guy who likes to talk about future games, rankings, and hates the 1-0 crap.
It is indeed way too far ahead. We should have him for two years at least. Then after that who knows.

I would not hate on the team using that 1-0 mentality. That is the EXACT mentality you need in football. That is what Alabama, Patriots, Clemson, etc. all go by and they dominate. Embrace 1-0 because that is the new norm. Drink is going to keep this team focused with it. You can't overlook anyone. If you think that then tell 2007 Michigan, our team from mid 90s when we played 0-10 VMI, and tell Georgia from this weekend when they faced South Carolina. We truly need to take it week by week. Nothing is guaranteed.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Gratefulneer wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:13 pm
I know we’ve got some time. This team was built by coaches that are over at Louisville now. However, Drinkwitz and his staff are doing a damn good job building on what was inherited. If Drinkwitz can recruit as good as he can coach, offers are going to be flying in!

My hopes are that Drinkwitz is looking at the bigger picture and a future with App. Hopefully he sees what can come from this seasoned team in its infancy of a FBS football transition. We need someone that can continue our growth and get us ready should another alignment happen. I think Drinkwitz is that guy.

The question is... how does a team in the Sunbelt hold on to someone like Drinkwitz. Assuming we can’t pay what some of these P5 conference teams can offer, how do we keep App from being a stepping stone school for coaches.
If Zac Thomas get a significant injury. One play away from going in the crapper.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:40 pm

Gratefulneer wrote:
I know we’ve got some time. This team was built by coaches that are over at Louisville now. However, Drinkwitz and his staff are doing a damn good job building on what was inherited. If Drinkwitz can recruit as good as he can coach, offers are going to be flying in!

My hopes are that Drinkwitz is looking at the bigger picture and a future with App. Hopefully he sees what can come from this seasoned team in its infancy of a FBS football transition. We need someone that can continue our growth and get us ready should another alignment happen. I think Drinkwitz is that guy.

The question is... how does a team in the Sunbelt hold on to someone like Drinkwitz. Assuming we can’t pay what some of these P5 conference teams can offer, how do we keep App from being a stepping stone school for coaches.
First of all we have a while because I have seen nothing about him leaving.

Second, there is nothing we can do other than pay money. It all comes down to money. Satt would have stayed had we paid him 2M a year.

We need a rich booster to come in and pony up the money to keep these coaches if we don't want to lose them. Plain and simple.

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:43 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:40 pm
Gratefulneer wrote:

Second, there is nothing we can do other than pay money. It all comes down to money. Satt would have stayed had we paid him 2M a year.

We need a rich booster to come in and pony up the money to keep these coaches if we don't want to lose them. Plain and simple.
Combs Field at Eric Church Stadium
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

AppRolls

Unread post by AppRolls » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:50 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

It wouldn’t be cost effective to pay our HC 2M - even if we had a rich booster to pay for it. We need to worry about continuing to grow the program and fan interest so that whoever our HC is, he has a good situation. For example, ShagNC just said he and his wife will be buying season tickets next year. Hopefully, they’ll start a kickass tailgate and invite their App friends who will have so much fun that they too will also buy season tickets. That’s how it works.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:53 pm

ShagNC wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:43 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

That would be great but it would be a sad day to see the name of the stadium change. I don't see Church doing it though and I doubt either has that kind of money to donate 4-5M a year a piece for something like that? Or are they superstars worth 40-50M a piece and I am just underrating the money value of mid level country music stars? I figured they aren't top 10 earners in country music today but I'm sure they are top 30 or so right?
I don't see Church doing that. The field should be named after Jerry Moore and I always liked Kidd Brewer Stadium. Maybe they could donate the money just for the coaching staff and we could name others after them.

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:55 pm

AppRolls wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

It wouldn’t be cost effective to pay our HC 2M - even if we had a rich booster to pay for it. We need to worry about continuing to grow the program and fan interest so that whoever our HC is, he has a good situation. For example, ShagNC just said he and his wife will be buying season tickets next year. Hopefully, they’ll start a kickass tailgate and invite their App friends who will have so much fun that they too will also buy season tickets. That’s how it works.
Girlfriend* not quite there yet ;)

I will say I am disappointed in some of my fraternity brothers. Yeah they'll make it to a game or so a year but the majority don't seem interested. I understand mid-20's is a strange time, and while most guys are starting families and buying houses, we decided we would rather put our money towards App football tickets. When we can't make it to games we will give them to friends/family.
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:57 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:53 pm
ShagNC wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

That would be great but it would be a sad day to see the name of the stadium change. I don't see Church doing it though and I doubt either has that kind of money to donate 4-5M a year a piece for something like that? Or are they superstars worth 40-50M a piece and I am just underrating the money value of mid level country music stars? I figured they aren't top 10 earners in country music today but I'm sure they are top 30 or so right?
I don't see Church doing that. The field should be named after Jerry Moore and I always liked Kidd Brewer Stadium. Maybe they could donate the money just for the coaching staff and we could name others after them.
It was a terrible attempt at stirring the pot. I would be surprised if Combs didn't already donate a good amount. Church can keep his Carolina blue money. What about the Belk family? Wasn't the Track called Irwin Belk Track?
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 pm

ShagNC wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:57 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ShagNC wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

It was a terrible attempt at stirring the pot. I would be surprised if Combs didn't already donate a good amount. Church can keep his Carolina blue money. What about the Belk family? Wasn't the Track called Irwin Belk Track?
Irwin Belk must have had a really strong passion for supporting Track and Field. There's an Irwin Belk Track complex that is retired at Chapel Hill, plus a current facility at UNC Charlotte, NC A&T, Winthrop, Furman, Davidson, Johnson C. Smith (and there could be others) + the Wingate Football Stadium carries his name.

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:16 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
ShagNC wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

Many of us still consider Kidd Brewer to be Conrad Stadium... it was disappointing when it changed but money talks. I could live with Combs Stadium. Not a modern country fan at all but he is apparently kicking ass.
Last edited by General Moore on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:18 pm

ShagNC wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:57 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ShagNC wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

I do believe Church has a full suite at KBS.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:25 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 pm
Gratefulneer wrote:

If Zac Thomas get a significant injury. One play away from going in the crapper.
Not necessarily. Given our running game and the receiving corps, I think that we can be alright. The offense that Drink ran at State is right for Huesman’s game.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:35 pm

General Moore wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:16 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ShagNC wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

Many of us still consider Kidd Brewer to be Conrad Stadium... it was disappointing when it changed but money talks. I could li e with Combs Stadium. Not a midern country fan at all but he is apparently kicking ass.
It was Kidd Brewer when I came through. It would just bad a sad change to see but I would live with it. I am not quite old enough to remember when it was Conrad Stadium.

Times do change and if those guys pony up the money to keep great coaches I will certainly change my tune and accept it. I want whatever is best for us and spending the money on good coaches and keeping continuity only helps us.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:37 pm
ASU-FTW wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:23 pm
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and enjoy the ride for now. It's too early this season to speculate about Drinkwitz leaving us. And this is coming from a guy who likes to talk about future games, rankings, and hates the 1-0 crap.
It is indeed way too far ahead. We should have him for two years at least. Then after that who knows.

I would not hate on the team using that 1-0 mentality. That is the EXACT mentality you need in football. That is what Alabama, Patriots, Clemson, etc. all go by and they dominate. Embrace 1-0 because that is the new norm. Drink is going to keep this team focused with it. You can't overlook anyone. If you think that then tell 2007 Michigan, our team from mid 90s when we played 0-10 VMI, and tell Georgia from this weekend when they faced South Carolina. We truly need to take it week by week. Nothing is guaranteed.
I should have clarified my comment t to mean I'm not a fan of touting the 1-0 mantra from a fan standpoint. I'm fully supportive of the team implementing that mentality however but as a fan I like to look ahead.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:18 pm

I am starting to sense that "P5s want to see Drink win with his own recruits" is the new "Satt isn't all about money, he'll only leave for a perfect situation." People believe what they want to believe, even when there's no basis for it in reality.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”