How do we keep Drinkwitz!?!?

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: How do we keep Drinkwitz!?!?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:21 pm

Another annual reminder, for those only thinking about P5s: Many AAC and MWC schools could double or triple Drink’s salary overnight.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:24 pm

InFor6More wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:00 pm
I am not really that new to the board, just haven’t been that vocal in the past. At heart, I am as wishful as some of you that Drink may stay for a couple more years but I do feel like we have a budding star and the middling P5’s who may feel the need to jump ahead of the curve in order to become more relevant may be willing to pursue Drink even though he hasn’t gone through the adversity that you might normally want to see and even though he hasn’t had a chance to prove that he can successfully maintain and elevate a schools recruiting standards over an extended period of time. That is the driver behind what at least one person called a hot take in my ‘He gone’. It’s not a hot take, just a very real possibility that I believe will come to fruition in December.
I whole heartily agree with you about a middling P5 coming to poach our coach. Case in point look at Geoff Collins at Temple (yes I know he was there for 2 years). But what did he do there to warrant being a P5 head coach? Nothing. He took over a program that had been built steadily by other coaches Golden, Addazio, Rhule; Collins had a good year 1 and a middling year 2 and yet he got handed the reins to a P5 school. Why? Because his name was still nice and shiny from his days as a DC and now he has had the label of HC. Hell you could say the same for Manny Diaz, he was the HC for what a couple weeks before Miami decided to make a run at him(neither has looked like a good hire thus far). So to those on this board who think we are safe for a couple of years are sorely misinformed. The teams at the bottom of the P5 are wild cards and have the money to roll the dice especially the ones who have had slight successes in the past. Drink was a Hotshot OC and has so far shown he can lead a program. I don't want to lose him but I won't be surprised either if I hear his name in the rumor mill during the annual coaching musical chairs.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:36 pm

IIRC, it wasn’t too long ago stAte had 4 HC’s in 4 seasons.

Donating and giving more won’t fend off deep P5 pockets, but keeping other G5’s at bay is within reach and doable.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:16 pm

InFor6More wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:00 pm
I am not really that new to the board, just haven’t been that vocal in the past. At heart, I am as wishful as some of you that Drink may stay for a couple more years but I do feel like we have a budding star and the middling P5’s who may feel the need to jump ahead of the curve in order to become more relevant may be willing to pursue Drink even though he hasn’t gone through the adversity that you might normally want to see and even though he hasn’t had a chance to prove that he can successfully maintain and elevate a schools recruiting standards over an extended period of time. That is the driver behind what at least one person called a hot take in my ‘He gone’. It’s not a hot take, just a very real possibility that I believe will come to fruition in December.
I know we live in interesting times, but middling P5's have a lot to choose from including coordinators from other P5's (who are recruiting on their level--Brent Venables), coaches who are currently out of a spot but have a track record--the "Mack Brown route" (Urban Meyer, Mark Richt), coaches out of a job, looking for the next chance (Major Applewhite), other G5 coaches who are hot talents and have a little bit of a track record of recruiting (Bryan Harsin), other P5 coaches at lesser programs (Dave Clawson), those who could be fired (Gus Malzern), former college coaches now in the pros, etc.

This article was written eight days ago, (and it's only one opinion) but Coach Drink isn't even listed in the Top 80 potential candidates.
https://www.offtackleempire.com/2019/10 ... ange-fired

Look at the article's take on Josh Heupel:
"Heupel’s Knights dropped to 4-2 after losing at Cincinnati, and the question is being raised now as to how much of UCF’s success in 2018 Heupel was directly responsible for. He’ll need to prove that a UCF program with his identity is a winner. Power 5 schools that are looking to hire you away don’t usually do so because their extremely successful coach left for a different job. The jury’s still out on Heupel, so buyer beware."

Sure, the situation exists where a Dave Clawson could move up and Coach Drink could be courted by Wake with more $$$, but I honestly think it's a three-year process minimum and most likely a 5-year process. And, would that be a great move vs. his current situation?

A P5 is going to:
1. Look for a track record of more than 13 games as a head coach (which will realistically be 11 or 12 games when decisions are made for next year). Mike Houston, Jamey Chadwick, Will Healy and Matt Viator all make this list, albeit in the bottom half, due to a resume of success)
2. Look for a track record of recruiting and player development of those recruits.
3. Look for a track record with Boosters and the Media. Coach Drink is in his first year of this activity
4. Look for a track record of building. maintaining and reloading a staff through normal college attrition.

The sky's not falling, but with continued success, Coach Drinkwitz will start appearing on the radar screen in the next couple of years.

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:20 pm

Drink ain't going anywhere for a while.
Seriously though. Dude has to prove himself. He is doing a great job driving Satts car but he has to put his own tires on and put his own gas in the tank first. He has to make this work for more than a couple years to get where he may really want to be. Satt. set the bar and Drink will want surpass it. He ain't leavin for anything less than what Satt got and that takes a little patience, stability and some kicking ass. If he is what we think he is, he knows all of this and will be here until he has truly set the bar higher than it was before he got here.
Drink stays!
Last edited by General Moore on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:54 am

This is 100% my opinion, so take it for exactly what it's worth (not much). I don't think Coach Drink will take the quick cash grab for an AAC / MWC program unless that program offered a platform at least comparable to the one he has here. He already has evidence that the leap CAN be made to a major program for a bigger pay day, so I doubt he would jeopardize his fledgling career by taking a potential dead end for the smaller / quicker jump. Sure...if Boise State or UCF come calling, that's equivalent to a P5 and they offer a bright future. Not all do. Also, just remember that the current trend is NOT for P5's to hire G5 coaches as often. The most common hires are to find the promising coordinators from within the power programs. Alabama has been seeding the entire league lately with Saban disciples. Hopefully it all adds up to at least 2 or three more years with Coach Drink at the helm for the Mountaineers.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:38 am

As for Urban Meyer, he only comes back to college coaching in the near future for the USC prophylactic posse or the Golden Domers of ND as the first 10 million dollar coach.
BLACK SATURDAY

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:24 am

Drink is coaching a football program not a team at just any school. We can just about plug and play a good coach. There are young guys out there who would kill for this job. We are a top 25 (right now) program and a perennial top 35 at least. I don’t see Drink leaving for a crappy P5 just for the money. Why take a P5 like an Illinois for example who is NEVER gonna leap over Ohio St, Penn State, Michigan, etc. He can absolutely get paid but also get lost in the shuffle. I heard talk on the radio the other day that Satt is probably in the mix for ACC coach of the year. If we keep him 3 years there will be a hot commodity right behind him. With the talent Drink inherited he would have had to really screw the pooch to fail. He’s loaded next year as well. Let’s see how year 3 goes when the current offense has graduated.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:04 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:24 am
Drink is coaching a football program not a team at just any school. We can just about plug and play a good coach. There are young guys out there who would kill for this job. We are a top 25 (right now) program and a perennial top 35 at least. I don’t see Drink leaving for a crappy P5 just for the money. Why take a P5 like an Illinois for example who is NEVER gonna leap over Ohio St, Penn State, Michigan, etc. He can absolutely get paid but also get lost in the shuffle. I heard talk on the radio the other day that Satt is probably in the mix for ACC coach of the year. If we keep him 3 years there will be a hot commodity right behind him. With the talent Drink inherited he would have had to really screw the pooch to fail. He’s loaded next year as well. Let’s see how year 3 goes when the current offense has graduated.
Let's say for the sake of argument that Drink sees the same thing you and others do regarding 2021 being somewhat of a question mark. Wouldn't that be a reason for him to bolt before then if he gets the chance?

BTW, substitute names and schools and this post reads exactly like what people were saying about Satt last year.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:39 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:04 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:24 am
Let's say for the sake of argument that Drink sees the same thing you and others do regarding 2021 being somewhat of a question mark. Wouldn't that be a reason for him to bolt before then if he gets the chance?

BTW, substitute names and schools and this post reads exactly like what people were saying about Satt last year.
It doesn't make a darn what folks say or think about why or why not they'll stay or go. It's all about the money.
BLACK SATURDAY

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:45 am

Drink sees these guys in practice and oversees recruiting as well. There's no doubt that this year's junior class is loaded and will leave some gaps (RB, WR, QB) but we already know that we have an exciting prospect waiting at QB. We have at least one superstar in waiting at WR (Anderson) and I'm pretty sure we've signed some other talented WRs these past two years. Drink has two recruiting classes before the 2021 season hits so I doubt he's too worried. Peoples will still be here at RB, and we've never had problems recruiting that position. It's scary for fans to look at all that talent leaving, but that is Drink's opportunity to have HIS players out there.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:23 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:54 am
This is 100% my opinion, so take it for exactly what it's worth (not much). I don't think Coach Drink will take the quick cash grab for an AAC / MWC program unless that program offered a platform at least comparable to the one he has here. He already has evidence that the leap CAN be made to a major program for a bigger pay day, so I doubt he would jeopardize his fledgling career by taking a potential dead end for the smaller / quicker jump. Sure...if Boise State or UCF come calling, that's equivalent to a P5 and they offer a bright future. Not all do. Also, just remember that the current trend is NOT for P5's to hire G5 coaches as often. The most common hires are to find the promising coordinators from within the power programs. Alabama has been seeding the entire league lately with Saban disciples. Hopefully it all adds up to at least 2 or three more years with Coach Drink at the helm for the Mountaineers.

It would take a heck of a lot of money for me to move to Idaho. I don't know about Coach Drinkwitz and his family, though.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:42 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:23 am
Yosef84 wrote:

It would take a heck of a lot of money for me to move to Idaho. I don't know about Coach Drinkwitz and his family, though.
He's lived there before, for a lot less $$

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:45 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:42 am
NewApp wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:23 am
Yosef84 wrote:

He's lived there before, for a lot less $$
Must have been desperate. lol
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”