Re: Bowl TV Ratings

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:21 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:12 pm
hapapp wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:08 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:46 pm
If I’m not mistaken, I believe ABC televised games were regionally televised, much like NFL games are. So while we may have been on ABC, we weren’t getting shown in Independence, Missouri, or anywhere else outside of the Carolinas. But I was, like, three at the time, so I’m just going on my understanding of what I’ve been told.

Soooo, I am eagerly awaiting a Nationally televised game on ABC that is deemed blimp-worthy.
I watched it on WXEX Channel 8 Richmond/Petersburg.
That’s one market north of the Raleigh-Durham market, so you might be right, but that’s still in the traditional ACC market.

I remember when WXEX became WRIC back in the mid 80s and moved out on the Powhite Extension.
I no longer lived in the area when it changed over. I knew it had changed just didn't know when. WWBT and WTVR still exist under the same monikers?

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:49 pm

hapapp wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:21 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:12 pm
hapapp wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:08 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:46 pm
If I’m not mistaken, I believe ABC televised games were regionally televised, much like NFL games are. So while we may have been on ABC, we weren’t getting shown in Independence, Missouri, or anywhere else outside of the Carolinas. But I was, like, three at the time, so I’m just going on my understanding of what I’ve been told.

Soooo, I am eagerly awaiting a Nationally televised game on ABC that is deemed blimp-worthy.
I watched it on WXEX Channel 8 Richmond/Petersburg.
That’s one market north of the Raleigh-Durham market, so you might be right, but that’s still in the traditional ACC market.

I remember when WXEX became WRIC back in the mid 80s and moved out on the Powhite Extension.
I no longer lived in the area when it changed over. I knew it had changed just didn't know when. WWBT and WTVR still exist under the same monikers?
They do, and I doubt they’ll ever change. Too much history in a place that lives on history.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:40 pm

NewApp, I was going to include: when will we get on ABC since the CFP?

shortfatoldapp

Unread post by shortfatoldapp » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:42 pm

Someone who can use these computer things can check this...up until the mid 80’s network tv could only show one “National” game a week or perhaps a team could only be shown “nationally “ once or twice a year. So the networks would show a Oklahoma/Georgia game on 1500 stations and Appalachian/Citadel on 4 stations, thus avoiding the “national” tag. As I recall one of those App/Cit games was used in the lawsuit that gave colleges and conferences control of their television rights- basically the system we have today- I believe it was Oklahoma and Georgia that sued and App and Cit were named in the suit. One of those games in the early 80’s was the cause of the suit.

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:34 pm

ClickClackApp wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:30 pm
I don't believe there are "too many bowls". Watch the Bahamas Bowl or the Frisco Bowl and tell me there's too many bowls. Like, actually watch them.

Football fans that complain about too many bowls confuse me.
people that get pumped to watch a couple 6-6 teams or 7-5 teams confuse me. There's far too many bowl games and it's not even debatable.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:39 am

NashvilleNeer wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:34 pm
ClickClackApp wrote:
I don't believe there are "too many bowls". Watch the Bahamas Bowl or the Frisco Bowl and tell me there's too many bowls. Like, actually watch them.

people that get pumped to watch a couple 6-6 teams or 7-5 teams confuse me. There's far too many bowl games and it's not even debatable.
I don't get the too many bowls argument. No one is forced to watch and those who enjoy the games especially when little else is on, can get the final opportunity to satisfy their fleeting football fix.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:26 am

NashvilleNeer wrote:
ClickClackApp wrote:

Even though the records going in aren't great, sometimes we get a good showdown like Pitt vs EMU.

But then we also get LA Tech vs Miami which some are calling the worst game they've ever seen.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:17 am

What we have today is nothing but a big participation trophy exercise. Bowl game are to be rewarding. There is nothing to reward for going 6-6. Great job, you are mediocre! Congratulations! Let’s Celebrate! :roll:

With the addition of a 12th regular season game for everyone, the criteria should be changed to 7-5.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:32 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:39 am
NashvilleNeer wrote:
ClickClackApp wrote:

I don't get the too many bowls argument. No one is forced to watch and those who enjoy the games especially when little else is on, can get the final opportunity to satisfy their fleeting football fix.
Exactly. If you don’t like the number of bowls in existence, don’t watch. You haven’t been harmed in the least.

Besides, if we have “too many bowls” now, then what’s the right number of bowls? Personally I don’t like seeing 5-7 teams in bowls, but I’m fine with 6-6. One person may say you should have to be 7-5, but why stop there? Maybe 8-4 should be the minimum.

And once you start raising the bar for P5s to get eligible, how do you think borderline teams like UNC and South Carolina will feel about scheduling App?

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:51 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:32 am
hapapp wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:39 am
NashvilleNeer wrote:
ClickClackApp wrote:

Exactly. If you don’t like the number of bowls in existence, don’t watch. You haven’t been harmed in the least.

Besides, if we have “too many bowls” now, then what’s the right number of bowls? Personally I don’t like seeing 5-7 teams in bowls, but I’m fine with 6-6. One person may say you should have to be 7-5, but why stop there? Maybe 8-4 should be the minimum.

And once you start raising the bar for P5s to get eligible, how do you think borderline teams like UNC and South Carolina will feel about scheduling App?
I'm not saying watch. I don't watch every bowl game, but it's watering down the bowls. A 6-6 team should not be rewarded by going to a bowl game. I'd argue a 7-5 shouldn't either. Think about how many games there with 6-6 and 7-5 teams, that could be another big opportunity for App to prove they can play, but we're getting eastern michigan vs pitt or miami vs la tech. Yes, some schools like A&M are a lot better than their record shows, but they also have a lot more advantages than smaller schools.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:33 am

I don't know how you can actually argue that it is "watering down the bowls." In what way? Any knowledgeable fan knows the pecking order of the bowls and the others don't care. It has zero impact on those "historically prestigious" bowls or on the CFB playoffs. The bowls were never intended to be a playoff.

The thing driving the bowl games is the system of conference alignment contracts. App has benefitted from that system because without it, we probably wouldn't have gone to bowl games every year we've been eligible. This year, it was a detriment but it has gone both ways.

Those games with the 6-6 or 7-5 teams are only "meaningless" if neither team is ours. It's all in the perspective.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:10 am

The entire system would be greatly improved if the criteria for making a bowl was for each team to at least finish 7-5 on the regular season. If a 7-5 team loses their bowl game they at least finish with a winning record. Of course that would mean reducing the number of bowl games. If the current format is kept in place (along with the number of games) at least tier the "better" bowl games to allow for more (theoretically) compelling and competitive match ups. Let the playoff teams continue as is and then tier the ranked teams after them to allow for the 5 to play 6, 7 play 8, etc. That way a 20th ranked App would get a 19th ranked opponent and would play in whatever bowl those teams are slotted for. The CFP ranking process would be more exciting as teams could "climb the ladder" and move to potentially more prestigious bowl games.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:12 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:10 am
The entire system would be greatly improved if the criteria for making a bowl was for each team to at least finish 7-5 on the regular season. If a 7-5 team loses their bowl game they at least finish with a winning record. Of course that would mean reducing the number of bowl games. If the current format is kept in place (along with the number of games) at least tier the "better" bowl games to allow for more (theoretically) compelling and competitive match ups. Let the playoff teams continue as is and then tier the ranked teams after them to allow for the 5 to play 6, 7 play 8, etc. That way a 20th ranked App would get a 19th ranked opponent and would play in whatever bowl those teams are slotted for. The CFP ranking process would be more exciting as teams could "climb the ladder" and move to potentially more prestigious bowl games.
I'm fine with 6-6 being the bowl game cut-off. However I'd like to see the FCS game counting as a win removed so that the P5 programs are forced to schedule G5 programs for their "just in case" win.

However I liked the idea of the CFP matching up teams based on rankings in bowls. It would require an overall and would largely require buy in from all 10 conferences but it would be cool. My concern is that with that change you would see more favoritism for P5 teams over G5 teams. App was lucky to get to No. 20 with one loss by 3 points. If App had lost to UNC or USC but run the table otherwise to still finish 12-1, App would be lucky to be ranked at all. It's the great irony of losing to Georgia Southern. If App lost to UNC but runs the table, are the Apps in the CFP at all? Does the win over UNC or USC really cause the committee to overlook the loss to Southern, to an extent? I have a feeling a loss to UNC or USC and a beat down of the stink in a way only Febreez can accomplish wouldn't have moved the needle.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”