I hope this has legs. Expanded playoffs

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: I hope this has legs. Expanded playoffs

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:19 pm

Obviously these ideas are all wishful and hopeful but most are doubtful especially the ones that include the G5 champs earning auto bids. Assuming the money aspect gets back close to where it was there’s no way in hell the 5 G5 champs get bids. Let’s assume the traditionally good G5’s maintain solid out of conference schedules what are the chances all 5 conference champs go at least 10-2 in the regular season? I can just see a 7-5 Ohio winning the MAC and they bump an 11-1 Alabama who lost to 12-0 LSU. Assuming a 16 team will payoff would everyone still play a conference championship game? The eventual winner has a played 17 games in a season? Too much. I go back to the idea of awarding 2 or 4 byes. A top tier team can still play a tough schedule and go maybe 10-2 but still be considered a top 4 team thus earning a bye. Put more excitement into the regular season and into the voting shows. Potentially a team could not win a conference but could be a top 4 program. Use the initial bowls as the first round and you have venues set ahead of time. Eliminate the conference championship games unless they are truly needed to break a tie. Now that would be exciting as well. Last year there was zero reason to play the ACC Championship game.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:11 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:32 am
8 Teams is the magic number. Here is how it works

Slots 1-5: ACC, SEC, BIG10, BIG12, PAC12 Conference Championship game winner
Slot 6: Best G5 Team (Must be conference champion/championship game winner)
Slot 7: Second Best G5 Team/Best Independent
- If G5 must be conference champion/championship game winner
Slot 8: At Large Bid (because ratings)
- Independents are eligible for this slot

Round 1 games are played at the beginning of bowl season and a schools location/fan base is taken into account when seeding locating games.

Round 2 occurs around Christmas somewhere in the middle of the country with good airports like Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, Chicago

Round 3 occurs at the normal National Championship time wherever the NCAA wants to have it.

This plan only adds 1 extra game, allows the other bowl games to exist, spreads the excitement of the playoffs around and gives teams & fans who deserve inclusion the chance to participate.
Agree on having 8. 16 is too many. I feel like there are never more than 8 teams who truly are deserving in FBS anyway. At the small school level I felt like 16 was perfect and should be around that. 20-24 teams is way too many even in D2 and D3. 8 in FBS and 16 everywhere else just feels like the best way to go.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:40 am

What is the highest seeded FCS team to ever win the championship? I thought I read #8? Even 16 at that level is probably too much. I remember attending several first round home playoff games where the attendance was below 10k. At least at the FCS level they added byes. I think the potential to get a bye makes it more exciting. Look at the NFL. It is huge to get a playoff bye.

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:30 pm

I'd like to see a move to 8 teams in the playoffs. Our in the P5 conference champs, the top G5, and 2 at large bids.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:24 pm

appsfan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:30 pm
I'd like to see a move to 8 teams in the playoffs. Our in the P5 conference champs, the top G5, and 2 at large bids.
Best of all worlds. Places a premium on P5s winning their conference, allows 1 potential Cinderella story anually, and 2 more to account for teams that lose their conference title in a heart breaker, or miss their CCG.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:54 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:24 pm
appsfan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:30 pm
Best of all worlds. Places a premium on P5s winning their conference, allows 1 potential Cinderella story anually, and 2 more to account for teams that lose their conference title in a heart breaker, or miss their CCG.
Exactly and it leaves the door open for an independent to make it as well (Notre Dame, BYU) if they are one of the top teams during the season.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:54 pm

If it is the 5-2-1 model, I hope they make a rule that the other G5 champs play a play off. 4 vs 1 and 3 vs 2 and the winner of this game plays the G5 CFP selection ( I assume the highest rated G5 Champ) unless that g5 wins the first round of their CFP which automatically makes them the g5 champ. Or something like this. They should force the G5 teams into this agreement and the G5 games be part of the CFP contract. This way it will get coverage. G5 championship the same weekend as CFP Championship. As you can probably tell.....I am a big fan of playoffs.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:22 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:54 pm
If it is the 5-2-1 model, I hope they make a rule that the other G5 champs play a play off. 4 vs 1 and 3 vs 2 and the winner of this game plays the G5 CFP selection ( I assume the highest rated G5 Champ) unless that g5 wins the first round of their CFP which automatically makes them the g5 champ. Or something like this. They should force the G5 teams into this agreement and the G5 games be part of the CFP contract. This way it will get coverage. G5 championship the same weekend as CFP Championship. As you can probably tell.....I am a big fan of playoffs.
So your idea includes playing 12 games, a conference championship game followed by two more G5 playoff games with that survivor getting a playoff slot with the big boys? If so whoever survives those last 3 games will not have enough healthy guys to compete.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:32 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:22 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:54 pm
So your idea includes playing 12 games, a conference championship game followed by two more G5 playoff games with that survivor getting a playoff slot with the big boys? If so whoever survives those last 3 games will not have enough healthy guys to compete.
No....the 4 G5 conferences not represented in the CFP. Play a playoff. If the 1 G5 in the 5-2-1 losses it's CFP 1st round it has to play the champion of the G4 playoffs for the G5 Championship. If the G5 CFP rep wins the 1st round they are automatic G5 champs. I am not sure exactly how it would go but something like this. IF the G5 CFP select wins the first round they probably just knocked off the number 1 rated team in the country and probably deserve the Automatic G5 Championship banner.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”