Wake Game Canceled for This Year

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: Wake Game Canceled for This Year

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:35 am

Here is their updated schedule - I know coaches look at their schedule prior to the season starting and they give their best guess at to W - L - ? I will take a shot at their schedule with absolutely no inside info - By the way, most coaches would never admit to the public that they would "do such a thing" - instead they would say - we see a win every week we play

Wake Forest
Sept. 12: Clemson (L)

Sept. 19: At N.C. State (?)

Sept. 26: Notre Dame (Charlotte) (L)

Oct. 9: Old Dominion (W) - WOULD BE A (L) IF PLAYING APP

Oct. 17: Virginia WOULD THINK THEY COULD WIN 1 OF THESE 2 (L)

Oct. 24: Virginia Tech (W)

Oct. 31: At Syracuse (W)

Nov. 14: At North Carolina (L)

Nov. 21: At Duke (?)

Nov. 28: Miami (?)

Dec. 5: At Louisville (L)

3 WINS - 5 LOSSES - 3 TOSS-UPS
WITH APP THAT WOULD BE 2 WINS ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:37 am

It's the ACC - other than Clemson and Georgia Tech, they're all crapshoots. :lol:

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:25 am

I’m going to take the other route and say this was a pathetic performance by the Athletic Department. Shouldn’t have let them out of the game without a suitable replacement. Wake has a team that they are paying lesss and a guaranteed beat down of the coosa team. App now has 3 holes in a schedule to fill with prospects drying up fast. Absolutely pathetic. They just rolled over and got kicked in the stomach by wake

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:42 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:32 am
The cancellation was big enough news that it made NPR this morning, well the local WFDD part of the morning news.
WFDD is owned by Wake Forest, sooooo...
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:50 am

Owned AND operated.:-)
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:58 am

AppinVA wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:42 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:32 am
The cancellation was big enough news that it made NPR this morning, well the local WFDD part of the morning news.
WFDD is owned by Wake Forest, sooooo...
The other station I listen to is WUNC. Sometimes WFDD does not have great reception in eastern Guilford County. I also switch back and forth between them during pledge drives.

Why can't I have a public radio station not tied to these two colleges? At least WFAE is not connected to UNCC anymore when I am in that part of the state.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:04 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:35 am
Here is their updated schedule - I know coaches look at their schedule prior to the season starting and they give their best guess at to W - L - ? I will take a shot at their schedule with absolutely no inside info - By the way, most coaches would never admit to the public that they would "do such a thing" - instead they would say - we see a win every week we play

Wake Forest

I actually think they go 6-5 with this schedule as long as the QB stepping in is as good as the buzz around the ACC is. I think there are 4 guaranteed losses and I believe they split between VT and UVA.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:10 am

Liberty playing Syracuse, VT, NCSU. Wonder if we had any discussions at all with State or VT?

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:41 am

appfanjj wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:10 am
Liberty playing Syracuse, VT, NCSU. Wonder if we had any discussions at all with State or VT?
i'm sure we had discussions with every regional P5. This is an area where we've become a victim of our success. No middle of the road P5 is going to schedule us as their 1 OOC game.

Our only hope of even getting a shot at beating a P5/getting into a NY6 bowl is for whoever is AD at UNC to grow a pair and actually have a competitive Non conference game. Not holding my breath.

Clemson might also work out, but it definitely isn't a good opportunity for a P5 win LOL.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 am

There are a lot of other G5 schools that have lost games with P5 teams. Lets see if we can't get someone from the AAC to play us, I know UCF lost the UNC game, Memphis has September 12 open, Houston has Sept 12 open, South Florida should have the 12th open also because Bethune-Cookman isn't playing this year, and Tulane is open on the 12. I would much rather see us play an AAC team than FCS teams.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:51 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:04 am
WVAPPeer wrote:

Wake Forest

I actually think they go 6-5 with this schedule as long as the QB stepping in is as good as the buzz around the ACC is. I think there are 4 guaranteed losses and I believe they split between VT and UVA.
I agree - that is what I see - 5-6 with us on schedule
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:58 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:41 am
appfanjj wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:10 am
i'm sure we had discussions with every regional P5. This is an area where we've become a victim of our success. No middle of the road P5 is going to schedule us as their 1 OOC game.

Our only hope of even getting a shot at beating a P5/getting into a NY6 bowl is for whoever is AD at UNC to grow a pair and actually have a competitive Non conference game. Not holding my breath.

Clemson might also work out, but it definitely isn't a good opportunity for a P5 win LOL.
Oh man I grew up a State fan but I would love nothing more than to play them soon and provide that beating. But State will not play us this year and I don’t see them adding us in any future years.
He’s right tho, nobody wants to schedule us now. Other than very strong teams like Clemson, Georgia, or Wisconsin, no in state (or neighboring state) team wants to play us. It’s all thought of as a lose lose, regardless of if we are ranked or not.
Saw this same thing happen to ECU back in the early 2010s when I still followed State. They were pretty good, in conference USA and backed it up with multiple wins against State, UNC, VT (I think). Fans complained why they were playing an inferior in state opponent from a weak conference and saw it as a lose lose. Why play them when you can schedule a P5 game eh?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:30 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 am
There are a lot of other G5 schools that have lost games with P5 teams. Lets see if we can't get someone from the AAC to play us, I know UCF lost the UNC game, Memphis has September 12 open, Houston has Sept 12 open, South Florida should have the 12th open also because Bethune-Cookman isn't playing this year, and Tulane is open on the 12. I would much rather see us play an AAC team than FCS teams.
I'm going to assume we want the games either at home or close by. I doubt would travel too far from home.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:46 pm

DG did his best for all. However, I’m not feeling this vibe.

GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:17 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 am
I like the idea of playing Memphis. That would be an interesting match-up for the Mountaineers. Of course we would want them at "THE ROCK" not in Memphis this year.

Although...a road trip to Memphis might be fun sometime.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:29 am

I have never had Memphis BBQ, I hear it is good. Could make a great excuse to get up there and try some.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:19 am

Unfortunately, I see zero incentive this year for any AAC team to schedule App. In a season where the conference schedule will rule, why would any AAC team schedule a competitive OOC game? Their incentive is to simply win the AAC with minimal losses and take the paved path to any possible NY6 game. Personally, I'm not convinced that the bowl games are likely to happen anyway. It's extremely unfortunate for App, our seniors and the fans, but this season is about winning the SBC and mitigating financial losses as much as possible.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:13 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:51 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:04 am
WVAPPeer wrote:

Wake Forest

I agree - that is what I see - 5-6 with us on schedule
They play 4 preseason top 25 teams. They get three at home but will likely be underdogs in all of them. They also have Louisville on the road. You can see one reason to avoid us beyond the financials.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:53 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:46 pm

I don’t think Coach Clark would have made that statement about “reciprocation” without some supporting evidence.
And Les Johns can KMA.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:08 pm

Appsolutely wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:53 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:46 pm

I don’t think Coach Clark would have made that statement about “reciprocation” without some supporting evidence.
And Les Johns can KMA.
Love seeing some Wake clown telling us to get over ourselves. Yes we should be ever so grateful for the three "future" games against the almighty Wake. How dare we be upset about losing the opportunity to showcase our wonderful program against an instate Power 5 program. We should just be thankful they accept our phone calls. Who do we think we are, what have we ever done? This is the type of rhetoric most of us are pissed about with the game being cancelled. This was another opportunity to elevate our program in the eyes of regional and national viewers. But it's cool Les, you and Dave can keep preaching about being the best program in the state but the day of reckoning is coming for you. Clark is pissed, we are pissed I hope you and the deacs are ready when the time finally arrives.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”