Coastal -4.5

mike87
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coastal -4.5

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:13 pm

if the players read this board we are talking ZT into the best game of his career coming up saturday.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:01 pm

I just wanna go on record well before kick-off that I believe, IF we don't turn the ball over at crucial times which has been an issue this year...we're gonna beat Coastal whether number 12 OR 7 is on the field...I have total confidence in both.

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:12 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:11 pm
Sadly, ZT's play on the field seems to have regressed rather than progressed over the years. He does seem to stare down his receiver, not go through progressions, force throws and in general he has just shown bad decision making in games. I would have expected those types of mistakes in his first year as a starter not in his third. Something is off and I hope he can get healthy and regain his form because we all know the type of quarterback he can be.
Lol are we seriously back to this nonsense criticism of ZT? Give me a break.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:18 pm

Zac is not a pocket passer, we need to roll him so he only reads half the field. That will also limit the defense in blitzing.
Bring Your A Game!

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:23 pm

I think people are criticizing ZT is fair, but maybe not correct.

It is fair to say ZT is not playing his best. Fair to say he has not progressed as much as you would expect. It is also fair to say that his OL should be one of his best.

But then:
-Lost two main weapons from last year in Sutton & Evans and evidently Hennigan has been hurt as well.
-3 HC and 3 OCs in 3 years. How many times do we see players who are amazing early in there career under a certain system maintain their effectiveness for the next 3 years with different coaches? Not many. And that is assuming the QB loves the new system, which apparently he doesn't!
- Then there are the other factors. Teams have seen him before, COVID, expectations etc...

I would say given all that he has dealt with, 6-1 is acceptable. It is neither amazing or terrible. Where he/we go from here will really determine his legacy. Lose to CCU, UL mediocre bowl game, people will be disappointed. Win out people may build a statue.

clemmonsapp

Unread post by clemmonsapp » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:45 pm

Bcoach - sorry if I misinterpreted your comment. When you said they had only beaten two teams with winning records I assumed you were implying that was a area we compared favorably. I think our loss was against the only quality opponent we have played. To me Marshal and Louisiana are comparable. CC has performed better than us (against GaSt - much better) against common opponents.

We have a history of rising to the occasion. I hope we do. We are not a good team right now.

Our offensive game plan is frighteningly bad. Every team we play is packing the box and we seem comfortable bashing our heads against a brick wall. We are either incapable or unwilling to change. Full house backfield on 2nd and 11 is not a recipe for victory unless it is 1950 again and I missed it.

andreracer

Unread post by andreracer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:03 pm

I haven't called for any coaches heads yet. If I see the same running up the middle running plays like we've been seeing then I'll seriously be questioning Petersens ability. I expect to see the play calling like we did vs Arkansas State. I kinda like the idea that coastal doesn't have much film to look at, but you gotta think they'll be prepared for different scenarios.

I see our defense holding Coastal to their lowest score of the season and hoping our offense steps up. You know they're hungry for the W.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:10 pm

clemmonsapp wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:45 pm
Bcoach - sorry if I misinterpreted your comment. When you said they had only beaten two teams with winning records I assumed you were implying that was a area we compared favorably. I think our loss was against the only quality opponent we have played. To me Marshal and Louisiana are comparable. CC has performed better than us (against GaSt - much better) against common opponents.

We have a history of rising to the occasion. I hope we do. We are not a good team right now.

Our offensive game plan is frighteningly bad. Every team we play is packing the box and we seem comfortable bashing our heads against a brick wall. We are either incapable or unwilling to change. Full house backfield on 2nd and 11 is not a recipe for victory unless it is 1950 again and I missed it.
I agree. My comment is more about the nationl media hype that is rediculous. We most definatly can beat them but not the way we have played so far this year. Something is most definatly wrong and I don't believe that play calling is 100% of it.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:14 pm

clemmonsapp wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:45 pm

I would say we have played about the SAME against common opponents except GaSt.
Compare below
CCU - opponent - App
43-21 Campbell 52-21
52-23 ArkSt 45-17
51-0 GaSt 17-13

How WE play this week is key to our success. I think we can play much better than the last few weeks but will we? I think this is a big game for us at this point so I feel like we will rise to the occasion.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:30 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:01 pm
I just wanna go on record well before kick-off that I believe, IF we don't turn the ball over at crucial times which has been an issue this year...we're gonna beat Coastal whether number 12 OR 7 is on the field...I have total confidence in both.
Not providing CC with a game opening complimentary TD would be helpful too. :)

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:52 pm

I think this will be a lot like the Marshall game. The team making the least mistakes wins. No matter who the QB is. Hennigan healthy and making catches will help open up our run game too.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:43 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:30 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:01 pm
Not providing CC with a game opening complimentary TD would be helpful too. :)
LOL...I agree but that seems to be our MO. Along with the bend but don't break mentality on defense which does not help my blood pressure or the mood in my house when watching from home...

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Boroneer10 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:12 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Sadly, ZT's play on the field seems to have regressed rather than progressed over the years. He does seem to stare down his receiver, not go through progressions, force throws and in general he has just shown bad decision making in games. I would have expected those types of mistakes in his first year as a starter not in his third. Something is off and I hope he can get healthy and regain his form because we all know the type of quarterback he can be.
So you think he’s playing at a high level?

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:26 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:52 pm
I think this will be a lot like the Marshall game. The team making the least mistakes wins. No matter who the QB is. Hennigan healthy and making catches will help open up our run game too.
Agreed. You can be as patient as you want and make that bread for three straight quarters, allowing it to open up some big holes in the fourth, if and only if, you have a very disciplined team, you don’t turn the ball over and you can lean on your defense to not let it get away from you in the first half. Our D is doing their part, but that’s about it right now.

However, we all know they are capable and that everyone associated with the program wants to win. So I’ll have something good cooked up for noon Saturday and kick back in my easy chair and look forward to us finally opening up a can!

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:44 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:16 pm
Boroneer10 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
66% completion percentage, 7.7 YPA, 12 TDs/ 5 Ints only 23 attempts a game. Yeah that looks good to me. Maybe we should actually let our senior QB throw the ball some instead of this three yards and a cloud of dust stuff?

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:59 am

When you are a running team, you have to be able to run. The O line has to step up and quit getting pushed around, as they did against Marshall and Ga. State. And, it is past time for a breakout game from Peoples. Saturday would be a good time.150 and no fumbles from Cam and suddenly, ZT is a lot better quarterback.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:04 am

Boroneer10 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:44 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Boroneer10 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
66% completion percentage, 7.7 YPA, 12 TDs/ 5 Ints only 23 attempts a game. Yeah that looks good to me. Maybe we should actually let our senior QB throw the ball some instead of this three yards and a cloud of dust stuff?
You subtract Arkansas state and those stats go way down. I don’t know why that game went the way it did and we could argue all day about who’s to blame. I suspect there’s some on both sides. I know we are run first but just throwing this out there. Maybe the coaches don’t have confidence in Thomas successfully making consistent vertical passes? Just a thought. All I know is our passing game is the definition of average

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:52 am

A lot of App fans will be at Hamburger Joes NMB Thursday night around 7! Join us!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:36 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:04 am
Boroneer10 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:44 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Boroneer10 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
You subtract Arkansas state and those stats go way down. I don’t know why that game went the way it did and we could argue all day about who’s to blame. I suspect there’s some on both sides. I know we are run first but just throwing this out there. Maybe the coaches don’t have confidence in Thomas successfully making consistent vertical passes? Just a thought. All I know is our passing game is the definition of average
Valid point, but if you subtract the CCU game against GSU, I am sure their stats would change also. I do think we've played down to our opponents this season and it almost beat us Saturday. I'm hoping the REAL Apps show up this Saturday. All these questions / concerns are valid, but we're now to the part of the season when those questions will be answered.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:59 am
When you are a running team, you have to be able to run. The O line has to step up and quit getting pushed around, as they did against Marshall and Ga. State. And, it is past time for a breakout game from Peoples. Saturday would be a good time.150 and no fumbles from Cam and suddenly, ZT is a lot better quarterback.
Just as an observation, i have noticed our RB's dancing around a bit in the backfield. This is probably due to an OLineman being in their lap. Also noticed that was not the case on the final 2 drives, The TD and the one to put it away. Cam for sure is a beast when he hits the hole with purpose.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”