If Corey Lynch had run the kick back...

AppKing21
School: Appalachian State

Re: If Corey Lynch had run the kick back...

Unread post by AppKing21 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:39 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:45 pm
"The good guys won is all that matters." That's what the Penn State fans say.

I was at that game. Penn State had just finished killing FIU. The was a year before I moved to North Carolina.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:04 pm

I was not able to go to Michigan that day nor did I have access to see it on TV. So I was inking the deal on a new car that day. As fate would have it, the salesman at the dealership was an Ohio State fan. His wife kept calling him with updates which he passed along to me. I am not sure who was more excited when I left as our Mountaineers had a lead at that time. On the way home I was trying desperately to find the game on the new car radio (out of 97.3's range). I managed to pick it up in time to catch the final minutes of the game before I arrived home and nearly had to pull over I was so excited. Goosebumps on my arms as I whooped and hollered driving along like a maniac. Fifteen years later I still have the car and will be driving it to Boone this Saturday. GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:18 pm

AppYosef! wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:04 pm
I was not able to go to Michigan that day nor did I have access to see it on TV. So I was inking the deal on a new car that day. As fate would have it, the salesman at the dealership was an Ohio State fan. His wife kept calling him with updates which he passed along to me. I am not sure who was more excited when I left as our Mountaineers had a lead at that time. On the way home I was trying desperately to find the game on the new car radio (out of 97.3's range). I managed to pick it up in time to catch the final minutes of the game before I arrived home and nearly had to pull over I was so excited. Goosebumps on my arms as I whooped and hollered driving along like a maniac. Fifteen years later I still have the car and will be driving it to Boone this Saturday. GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!
So, what did you get?

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:50 pm

I was at Geno’s. It was mayhem. The entire place erupted then ran out into the streets.

It wasn’t until like 5 hours later that I realized we’d all left without closing our tabs. Not intentional, it was just like the time/space continuum shifted with that block.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:37 pm

appdaze wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:26 pm
I'm indifferent. He could have fallen on the ball to keep it safer. By trying to run it back he risked getting the ball stripped and run back the other way for a Michigan touchdown and win. I was holding my breath the whole time he was running for that reason.

All that aside, I think the score it ended with kept the story of how suspenseful the game really was. Getting 40 might have diminished that feeling a bit.
I was there and it would have been so exciting for him to return it but at the same time I was holding my breath, like you, hoping that he does not fumble it. I agree that either way was great. In a way it was the perfect ending but I don't think it would have degraded how huge the win was for us.

I remember when my family went to the game that we thought our speed would make it closer than the media expected but never dreamed to walk out with the win. For me it was just amazing to see a place that had been so loud for much of that game to go dead silent outside of the App fan section. The tears, disappointment, and shock you could visibly see in their faces was something I will never forget. You could have heard a pin drop everywhere in the stadium, except for our section, once the clock hit zero and Lynch did not fumble.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:40 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:50 pm
I was at Geno’s. It was mayhem. The entire place erupted then ran out into the streets.

It wasn’t until like 5 hours later that I realized we’d all left without closing our tabs. Not intentional, it was just like the time/space continuum shifted with that block.
I miss the days of Geno's. I wondered what that place was like after the game. So the day they should have made the most money they got stiffed by so many. Hard to be the jerks who track everyone down and be a kill joy after that. LOL.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:36 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:40 pm
ah59396 wrote:

I miss the days of Geno's. I wondered what that place was like after the game. So the day they should have made the most money they got stiffed by so many. Hard to be the jerks who track everyone down and be a kill joy after that. LOL.
I acquired a lot of liver damage at Geno’s 🤣. I worked at tweetsie in the retail department for a few seasons and my “manager” who was also a student made sure that I had every Saturday off for games and every Wednesday night off for Geno’s.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:43 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Yeah we felt bad. Would have felt way worse if my buddy wasn’t our server.
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:36 pm
[quote=AppStFan1 post_id=314967 time=<a href="tel:1662079220">1662079220</a> user_id=7489]
[quote=ah59396 post_id=314958 time=<a href="tel:1662076200">1662076200</a> user_id=5311]

[/quote]

I acquired a lot of liver damage at Geno’s 🤣. I worked at tweetsie in the retail department for a few seasons and my “manager” who was also a student made sure that I had every Saturday off for games and every Wednesday night off for Geno’s.
[/quote]

Karaoke Wednesdays at Geno’s, wow that takes me back. What a time to be alive.
YNWA

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:13 am

I feel bad for you youngsters who didn’t have the privilege of ruining your livers at Savannah Joes.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:23 am

And the drives back on curvy roads....
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:25 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:23 am
Yes, anyone who never had to drive to Blowing Rock to buy beer missed out on a treat.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:09 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Not exactly the same, but I was bartending in Georgia last year when the Braves beat the Dodgers to go to the World Series. I know there were many tabs left open and tips forgotten, but I didn't care because I was drinking and crying with joy along with them.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:21 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:42 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:13 pm
Corey Lynch had been on the field nearly the entire game vs Michigan. He switches positions with another FG blocker, breaks through, puts a hand on the ball, scoops it up and takes off down the field. He was run down on the 6 and tackled from behind. Ballgame 34-32.

The outcome wouldn't have changed, but would a 40-32 final score enhance, degrade, or have no effect on your enjoyment of that game? Would it mean more to you if he'd been able to run the block back for a touchdown or the same?
Possibly. What if Quick hadn’t dropped a gift TD and we settle for a FG? What if Rauch doesn’t hit one off the upright? That’s a potential 7 points that would have changed the ending. The block is what made it epic.
Didn't Quick drop a game winning TD in the semi-final at Montana?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:54 am

fjblair wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:21 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:42 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:13 pm
Corey Lynch had been on the field nearly the entire game vs Michigan. He switches positions with another FG blocker, breaks through, puts a hand on the ball, scoops it up and takes off down the field. He was run down on the 6 and tackled from behind. Ballgame 34-32.

The outcome wouldn't have changed, but would a 40-32 final score enhance, degrade, or have no effect on your enjoyment of that game? Would it mean more to you if he'd been able to run the block back for a touchdown or the same?
Possibly. What if Quick hadn’t dropped a gift TD and we settle for a FG? What if Rauch doesn’t hit one off the upright? That’s a potential 7 points that would have changed the ending. The block is what made it epic.
Didn't Quick drop a game winning TD in the semi-final at Montana?
I believe so.

I'm with AppSt94 on the ending. It truly made it epic in terms of how great a game it was. It would not take away from the perspective of how big of an upset and still would be talked about to this day. Just maybe not considered one of the top 5 games all-time though.

One lasting impact our win also had that many forget is it made the AP change their policy so FCS teams could receive votes in the poll. It has allowed NDSU and I think JMU receive votes in the poll before.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:07 am

Leading up to the game, there was some back and forth regarding team speed. We were talking about the speed of our skilled players. Their retort was that their kicker was faster than everyone on our team. It’s fitting that their kicker was the one that ran down Lynch.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:32 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:07 am
Leading up to the game, there was some back and forth regarding team speed. We were talking about the speed of our skilled players. Their retort was that their kicker was faster than everyone on our team. It’s fitting that their kicker was the one that ran down Lynch.
I remember that. They thought since they had elite players and were high ranked that no way a lower level team could come in and run with them. I knew we had Dexter Jackson who could fly but they thought he was probably a 4.6 guy who looked fast in D2 only. LOL

Fans have gotten a little smarter today because of the internet and exposure to FCS but there are still some P5 fans who think that old way. I think most online know better but we still see some from UNC who think there is no way we can play with them.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:47 pm

appst89 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:25 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:23 am
Yes, anyone who never had to drive to Blowing Rock to buy beer missed out on a treat.
If you ever got in trouble you’d just call Speed (I never had to). He’d take care of you.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”