How Was KBS Today?

97grad
School: Appalachian State

Re: How Was KBS Today?

Unread post by 97grad » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:26 pm

Only saw a couple of rowdy folks on the east side, and they were both wearing purple.

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:33 pm

Atmosphere overall was great. But the concessions situation is still nothing short of unacceptable. It’s been clear for a long time now that these oversize crowds are here to stay and yet you still can’t get anything to eat or drink unless you’re willing to miss almost a full quarter. And the East side options are severely lacking.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:39 pm

To answer the original question - fantastic atmosphere. Just a great day all around.

As for the students - I didn't see anything noteworthy yesterday, but truth be told, at this point at least some of them are a weekly embarrassment, and that's just what I see entering and leaving the stadium. Thankfully we sit on the east side. But I have a young son, and I just know going in that if I take him, he is going to see and hear numerous things that are completely inappropriate every time.

At least we won. The worst App fan behavior I've seen was some sore loser fans harassing JMU fans after last year's game.

That said, I'm not sure it's an App thing. I think a lot of under-30 fans just think going to a sporting event means free license to act like a complete a-hole. Definitely have seen my share of it at Hurricanes games in recent years.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:52 pm

Witnessed what I believe to be a student getting what he deserved from an ECU player who was trying to leave the field postgame .Another following the player toward the field exit was cut off by security.That said ,the scene was bush league and embarrassing.The students or whoever that are cursing the oppostion , fans or team , are giving all of us a bad reputation. Appalachian a bad reputation.We should be better than that.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:51 pm

I heard some inebriated students yelling F@#$ ECU behind some older ECU fans leaving the game. I told them to stop, and they did.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:07 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:00 am
I had to hold back an ECU fan from understandably beating the crap out of some of our mouthy drunk asshole students. Good news is other students were also helping me hold him back. So, it was only select students that were the problem -- but, they were a big problem. Hopefully, the students not causing the mayhem help reel it in some.

If I wasn't concerned for the legal ramifications for the ECU fan, I would have let him beat the shit out of our fans. They deserved it. He didn't deserve an arrest record though.
I would have let him beat the shit out of the assholes then testified it was in self defense. We have become a problem and this is not brand new.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:04 pm

On the other hand, I overheard 2 kids in the row in front of me telling their Mom about an ECU fan spitting on them. I would guess they were 10-12 years old. People today are just crude and nasty sometimes

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:09 pm

appstate77 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:51 pm
I heard some inebriated students yelling F@#$ ECU behind some older ECU fans leaving the game. I told them to stop, and they did.
I did the same and came darn close to ending up in a fight with three App Students (with me wearing my App Shirt). They were too drunk to make a correct decision and I ended up pissed off enough to almost swing at one of them. Luckily, I have a career and a lot to lose from an arrest. I would love to be able to enter a UCF fight with those three. I would be willing to go by myself against all three of them.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:13 pm

Went with our son to his fraternity tailgate party. He loves the sports and he and I talked about some kids who get so trashed that they don't even watch the game. He for one has no desire to miss the game and doesn't run off with the mouth at the opposing fans.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:56 pm

Oh and based on the record crowds we are getting along with the mass of students on the hill haven't we made the case for aluminum bleachers on Miller Hill now? Not only would it be better imagine the noise all those stomping feet would make.

AppScott89

Unread post by AppScott89 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:32 am

I have 2 complaints:

1. Where is the wi-fi/internet that was talked about. The minute you get into the stadium nothing updates until you leave Boone. I thought there was a plan.

2. The lines on the east side are ridiculous. Why can we not have rope that makes parallel lines to concessions. About saw a fight in the beer line because some student try to jump ahead of several people.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:35 am

asumba95 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:01 am
ASU843 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:32 am
AppBox wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:12 am
Too many drunk App fans acting like appholes cursing at families in purple on the walk out of the stadium.
People like this give our entire school a bad reputation. We have our fair share of jerks. These folks pay for tickets, gas and in some cases overnight accomodations and have to endure that crap. Sickening!
unfortunately, every fanbase has these types
Right. I'd say ours are very minimal compared to other bases. UNC fans are the worst to date.
The Appalachian State

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:48 am

I've never understood people that pay money (Even students pay through athletics fees) to attend games to act a fool. I officiate high school basketball for a part time gig and while alcohol isn't the problem as much as parents living their dreams through their kids, I still scratch my head at the people that yell the entire game. You paid admission, plus concessions, to sit on hard bleachers for an hour and some change, just to scream the entire game at officials and coaches?

Back to the App games...How hard is it to get a nice little buzz, or slightly over in case the liquor hit different this time...watch the game, cheer for App, search for a girl to hang out with for the night, and call it a day? Was I doing it all wrong back in the days?

Ignorant fans have existed forever, and at all schools, and the ability to be recorded now brings much of it to light...even with that though it does seem like the amount ignorance is growing each year. Monkey see, monkey do mentality? Who knows.

As for the issues with concessions, and crowding in general, a large part of that is due to the fact everyone is sharing one level. Those sitting in the 200 sections share the same area for restrooms and concessions as those sitting in the 100 sections. Manageable for small crowds, but those aren't as common these days. Pains me to say this because of my views of them as rivals, but JMU did it right when they expanded and upgraded.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:54 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:04 pm
On the other hand, I overheard 2 kids in the row in front of me telling their Mom about an ECU fan spitting on them. I would guess they were 10-12 years old. People today are just crude and nasty sometimes
Plenty of mouthy EZU fans to go around. If the one behind me called our stadium a "high school stadium" one more time I thought I might have to have to put my granddaughter down and throw hands on him.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:07 am

1. BAN the phrase Roll Neers. Shame on Chancellor Everts, bookstore, others for enabling that stupid phrase.

2. Fans/students/etc. need to stop dropping so many F bombs and other choice language with young kids around.

3. Student section might get loud some, but overall is not that rowdy. They start App-State chance when we are on offense (spirit squads) partially to blame, level of loud is not what used to be on 3rd down, overall tame. I hope students see this and rise to the challenge!

4. Internet/Wi-Fi is a very great question. Talked about it but no options to connect.

5. At least they showed other scores a couple times on video board.

6. Volume needs to be higher on video board speakers at the start of the game. Always rather low and coming from someone in home side close to video board.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:33 am

I hate to hear about the incidents with App fans / students being rude or aggressive. Whereas, it might be true (I believe it is) that all fan bases have these issues, that doesn't make it OK. Maybe it can't be reduced to zero but it needs to be addressed. From what I have heard (unfortunately wasn't able to be there), the students stayed till the end of the game, which is a good thing. This is probably one of the negative side-effects since there were more drunks in the stadium than typical at the end of the game. I think the administration needs to make it clear that the number of complaints (even from within the App family) needs to come down or it will result in student sections being more closely policed during games. If students want to maintain their "lightly supervised" game-time fun, they needs to engage and control themselves (and each other). The best person to reign in a drunk is a friend. Unfortunately, bad judgment is part of being drunk, so we can't count on them recognizing a "friend" just because of the colors and logo he's wearing at the time.

Overall, I'm ecstatic about the swelling attendance. I do think that we need to either expand the stadium infrastructure (seating, concessions, bathrooms, entry/egress) to deal with this or we are tempting fate. Games at KBS need to remain a positive experience for everyone, including visitors.

I've heard visitors make smart-aleck comments about our "high school" stadium before, but that's just sour grapes because their team sucks. It must be sad to pull for a program that is so bad that dissing the opposing stadium is all you can talk about during the game.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:37 am

I'd rather have a team that consistently wins in a high school stadium than be a fan of a team that has to complain about losing to a team that plays in a high school stadium...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:38 am

When they start talking about academics and stadium size you know we not only won the game, but in a manner in which on the field excuses aren't even enough to make themselves feel better.

RESET mode fully engaged.

gsoapp91

Unread post by gsoapp91 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:54 am

We are on the east side section 112. Had a few ECU fans in front of us. Really nice kids. At one point one of them started throwing the middle finger up. My wife politely tapped him on the shoulder and reminded him that kids are around. We are all here for fun and football. He apologized to her and said she was right. Super nice guys.

Leaving the stadium there came a f* ECU chant from a group of students. Not a good look. But sadly expected.

AT&T data service seemed to die the minute we set up tailgating. I had no service till I got out of town after the game. Don’t get that. Never could find the Wi-Fi network that was being advertised. I could make and receive calls but data was dead.

East side concessions must do better. Seems to me that App State is outgrowing our “high school” stadium. Heard that one too. But seriously that place was busting at the seams.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:03 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:37 am
I'd rather have a team that consistently wins in a high school stadium than be a fan of a team that has to complain about losing to a team that plays in a high school stadium...
And they paid $130+ ea. for the privilege to sit in that high school stadium.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”