Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:43 pm

AppRT wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:34 pm
AppState03 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:32 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:26 pm
Offense losses this one!!
I respectfully disagree. This one is another loss on Clark.
Yes 100%. This is on Clark. We play not to lose instead of playing to win. That is on Clark.
Absolutely right, Clark is alway saying field goals don’t win games but on our next to last drive we basically decided to settle for a field goal try. And we used 2 time out to avoid delay penalties. And on the last drive when we should have tried to pick up 5 yards for the field goal try we toss up a Hail Mary. Dude simply doesn’t know how to win.

mountaineerman
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:43 pm

IMG_5539.jpeg
We’re 3-1 relax I will say this .. the team was coached up against my better judgment!

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:44 pm

Burger may well have just gotten his starters job back. This loss is inexcusable. We just find a way to lose lately. I now have doubts about Clark myself.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:44 pm

If a game comes down to a single play to decide it, you didn't play good enough for the other 59 minutes and 50 seconds. The calls for Joey's head are ridiculous, he is what has given this team life. He made some big throws to move the chains tonight when the offense just wasn't conducive to moving the chains.
The Appalachian State

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:45 pm

Clark tries to keep it close and hopes we get a break. Not a formula for winning games.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:46 pm

De Ja Vu from last year. When is the bye week? Need a breather. Great effort, Apps showed out in full force, but we pissed down our leg. Safe travels home neers; there is always next week to strap em up again.

Oh and Kanye is RB2. Goodnight!
Last edited by 311neers on Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:46 pm

I'm not a coach basher but if Clark "gives them credit" I'll vomit. We absolutely outplayed them except for one run. We absolutely tried to milk that clock to zero. I've seen teams pull out a throw in those situations to mix it up. Stupid play calls all night. What happened to sandpaper that ass? Scared to death all game long.

falcoapp

Unread post by falcoapp » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:47 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:43 pm
IMG_5539.jpegWe’re 3-1 relax I will say this .. the team was coached up against my better judgment!
We should be 3-1, ya.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:47 pm

Just curious how a blocked kick is on Clark. Was he one of the two guys that got destroyed by one guy up the middle?

Just curious how the fumbled lateral is on Clark. If Davis catches it, he may still be running. But, did Clark make the dumb decision to throw it? And even if he did, did he drop the pass and then stand there and watch the defender grab it?

I haven't read the entire thread since I was at the game, but they ran the game plan to perfection minus those 2 and the final play. We destroyed in TOP. We dominated on defense. We did exactly what we had to do to win the game -- except for the two plays above.

I obviously haven't gone back to watch it yet, but all clock management decisions were done by Ware, Watts, and Ponce.. with Clark making final decision -- not once did he go against the suggestion from what I could tell (which again, may be bad but I haven't gone back to watch so unsure).

I'm not going to say Clark had nothing to do with this since I haven't gone back to watch it yet (and it's hard as a fan on the sidelines to pay that close of attention to the details), but if those two plays above don't happen, we win by 2 or 3 scores. And if Joey makes the right decision on the final play, Noel is literally walking in to the end zone to walk it off.

To me, this game is 100% on the red zone offense -- or lack there of. The fact we had the lead at half after 4 red zone drives and no TDs and a gift of a fumble was incredible.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:48 pm

I'm generally alright with having your opponent right where you want them, and playing "not to lose." If the plan is to trust the defense, stick to it. But why throw at all, in that situation, if that's what we're doing? Consistent play calling may have put us in a different situation. Pick a game plan and see it through.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:49 pm

Joey needed to throw it out of bound and get another play. But he is young and will learn. I don’t agree that he has regressed, I just think people unfairly built him up off of very limited game time action. He is a gunslinger and they often hurt you as much as they help in tight situations. If he learns to correct the mistakes, he will be a very good one.
As far as the conservative play call at the end of the game, I hated it as well but if the fg isn’t blocked and returned for a Td we likely win the game. It’s easy to view things in the past with 20/20 but it’s different in real time. Again, I didn’t like it but I can’t fault the strategy. I can fault the special team execution on several plays including the blocked fg. I can also fault a lot of our offensive play calls from Pounce. The defense played great except for 1 play. This team is very young, look at the play chart and see how many sophomores and freshman are having big impacts. We will be scary good when we put it all together. I know people don’t want to hear this but the obvious lack of junior and senior contributors is not on Clarke, that was his predecessors’ doing. Let his kids grow and learn and we will be back to what we all are accustomed

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:49 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:47 pm
Just curious how a blocked kick is on Clark. Was he one of the two guys that got destroyed by one guy up the middle?

Just curious how the fumbled lateral is on Clark. If Davis catches it, he may still be running. But, did Clark make the dumb decision to throw it? And even if he did, did he drop the pass and then stand there and watch the defender grab it?

I haven't read the entire thread since I was at the game, but they ran the game plan to perfection minus those 2 and the final play. We destroyed in TOP. We dominated on defense. We did exactly what we had to do to win the game -- except for the two plays above.

I obviously haven't gone back to watch it yet, but all clock management decisions were done by Ware, Watts, and Ponce.. with Clark making final decision -- not once did he go against the suggestion from what I could tell (which again, may be bad but I haven't gone back to watch so unsure).

I'm not going to say Clark had nothing to do with this since I haven't gone back to watch it yet (and it's hard as a fan on the sidelines to pay that close of attention to the details), but if those two plays above don't happen, we win by 2 or 3 scores. And if Joey makes the right decision on the final play, Noel is literally walking in to the end zone to walk it off.

To me, this game is 100% on the red zone offense -- or lack there of. The fact we had the lead at half after 4 red zone drives and no TDs and a gift of a fumble was incredible.
If, if and ands....were pots and pans....

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:49 pm

Offense was off all night compared to what we've seen since 2nd half of GW game. Not sure if the blame goes to Joey not seeing down the field, the paly calling, or the Wyoming Defense.

Encouraged by how well the defense played. Need to let this hurt motivate us to turn it around next week.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:50 pm

Red Zone Offense
Red Zone Offense
Red Zone Offense

Clark coached the game based on the fact it was a grinder and his defense was playing well..

2-2 after these 4 is where they are suppose to be with a back up QB.

Everyone Relax.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:50 pm

mgsouth wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:44 pm
Burger may well have just gotten his starters job back. This loss is inexcusable. We just find a way to lose lately. I now have doubts about Clark myself.
I’ll say I agree with some of what you say.. but if you don’t see that this team was ready to play and win today you’re wrong. Blocked kicked for a TD is just bizarre this whole game was bizarre! I will say this .. there was more than one chances for us to put the game away and we didn’t.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:52 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:49 pm
Offense was off all night compared to what we've seen since 2nd half of GW game. Not sure if the blame goes to Joey not seeing down the field, the paly calling, or the Wyoming Defense.
I think all three played a role. Also, needing to put Murphy in at RT is not ideal. He doesn't seem ready. He's been beat a lot the last two weeks (he's also won a lot).
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:54 pm

I’m not putting the loss on Joey, but he missed a lot of open receivers. He could have been better. The runs up the gut were frustrating. Red zone offense lost this game. Defense was lights out.
Give 'em hell!

AppRT

Unread post by AppRT » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:55 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:49 pm
AppStateNews wrote:

If, if and ands....were pots and pans....
The issue with this is that we have vastly new coaching staff this year. Yet it’s the exact same type of conservative play that saw last year and the year before. Why change up the entire scheme when it’s working. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:55 pm

AppStateNews wrote:

You make good points but it's said EVERY SINGLE game when you are in FG range with ZERO timeouts. You can't take a sack, catch it in bounds or throw a PIC. We were in FG range and it was the coach's decision to take another shot. We all wanted the win but you have to see that pressure coming and unload it out of bounds or first and foremost kick the FG!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:56 pm

Playing scared will get you beat every time. We play scared.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”