Bowl Season

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Bowl Season

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:14 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:57 pm
Watched 3 quarters of the Wyoming game. What a horrible announcing crew. Turned the sound off just before the half.
Like they just picked a couple of guys out of the stands that had been having too good of a time ….

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:45 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:14 pm
bcoach wrote:
Watched 3 quarters of the Wyoming game. What a horrible announcing crew. Turned the sound off just before the half.
Like they just picked a couple of guys out of the stands that had been having too good of a time ….
I’m showing my age but guys anything “Barstool” sports is not like Jim Nantz on CBS. 😂

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:55 pm

Anyone else getting tired of announcers constantly mentioning the school a football player transferred in from?

"Nice run by the Wisconsin transfer!"

Personally I could not care less where a guy used to play.

And I also find it strange that college football announcers routinely openly criticize the committee who picked the playoff teams playing in the sport they represent. The FSU pity party might finally be over.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:19 am

lp56251 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:08 pm
311neers wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:04 pm
lp56251 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:00 pm
RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:52 pm
lp56251 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:45 pm
FSU is playing their 3rd string against UGA starters. This isn’t a reflection of the “real” FSU
Not a FSU fan AT ALL (actually can’t stand them) but to judge their team on this game is a joke
Unfortunately bowls have been ruined in my opinion. All but the playoffs are a joke
And Georgia doesn't have their share of missing starters? I hate Georgia but quickly got tired of FSU's bellyaching of not making the playoffs. They threaten to leave the ACC due to it being a perceived weak P5 conference in football. They play their toughest opponent this season and the score is 56-3 and rising.
FSU is missing 14 starters
UGA is missing 2 starters

Again. Not worth an argument bc I can’t stand FSU (really not trying to start a back and forth)
APP is 1-0. Honestly all I care about
They are missing more than 2 starters. I know 6 off the top of my head. Bowers, Mims, JDJ, Rara, Humphrey, Mondon. They’re the better team.
Totally agree they’re the better team. Just don’t think it would be this out of wack. Again, don’t really care. Just hate the Orange bowl is a blowout. It’s one of those that used to be a big deal
Georgia is my #2 team since my father and most of my extended family are alums. That said, I agree that this game isn't representative. I do think Georgia wins by at least 2 TDs even if both were at full strength. It's hard to even evaluate the impact of the missing players but this game got ridiculous.

If the goal is to pick the "best 4 teams" then clearly Georgia should have been in the playoffs. The problem is that almost any system is going to favor conference champions (therefore Texas gets in...plus their win against Bama earns them some kudos) and Florida State as an undefeated conference champion should have gotten in also. This is why the 4 game playoff has always been such a joke. It's a ridiculous system.

I wonder how many FSU players would have been missing if they had been included in the playoffs. Seems it probably would have kept some on the roster, but if even half were missing, they would have been embarrassed by any of the top 4.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:41 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:19 am
lp56251 wrote:
311neers wrote:
lp56251 wrote:
RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:52 pm

And Georgia doesn't have their share of missing starters? I hate Georgia but quickly got tired of FSU's bellyaching of not making the playoffs. They threaten to leave the ACC due to it being a perceived weak P5 conference in football. They play their toughest opponent this season and the score is 56-3 and rising.

Again. Not worth an argument bc I can’t stand FSU (really not trying to start a back and forth)
They are missing more than 2 starters. I know 6 off the top of my head. Bowers, Mims, JDJ, Rara, Humphrey, Mondon. They’re the better team.
Totally agree they’re the better team. Just don’t think it would be this out of wack. Again, don’t really care. Just hate the Orange bowl is a blowout. It’s one of those that used to be a big deal
Georgia is my #2 team since my father and most of my extended family are alums. That said, I agree that this game isn't representative. I do think Georgia wins by at least 2 TDs even if both were at full strength. It's hard to even evaluate the impact of the missing players but this game got ridiculous.

If the goal is to pick the "best 4 teams" then clearly Georgia should have been in the playoffs. The problem is that almost any system is going to favor conference champions (therefore Texas gets in...plus their win against Bama earns them some kudos) and Florida State as an undefeated conference champion should have gotten in also. This is why the 4 game playoff has always been such a joke. It's a ridiculous system.

I wonder how many FSU players would have been missing if they had been included in the playoffs. Seems it probably would have kept some on the roster, but if even half were missing, they would have been embarrassed by any of the top 4.
Kirby doesn’t mess around. Although I wish he would have run it up. (I say this because he yanked the starters at half and played a 3rd 4th and 5th string qb’s.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:51 am

311neers wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:41 am
Yosef84 wrote:
lp56251 wrote:
311neers wrote:
lp56251 wrote:

Kirby doesn’t mess around. Although I wish he would have run it up. (I say this because he yanked the starters at half and played a 3rd 4th and 5th string qb’s.
Run it up? Bro, they hung 63 on the ‘Noles last night. And I think it’s great Smart gave a lot of his non-starters a chance to play. They’ve more than earned it.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:53 am

Bootsy wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:51 am
311neers wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:41 am
Yosef84 wrote:
lp56251 wrote:
311neers wrote:

Run it up? Bro, they hung 63 on the ‘Noles last night. And I think it’s great Smart gave a lot of his non-starters a chance to play. They’ve more than earned it.
Haha exactly. I love they played everyone on the roster, great glimpse into next year for them and they’ll be back. Hung 63, could have been more! Haha

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:55 am

That FSU squad was the equivalent of a pretty decent FCS team- without the 28 or so players who didn't play. The only upside to the portal and opt out situation is that the bench guys on teams get to play in a real game.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:10 am

Here’s my point.

If the FSU players were so convinced they got screwed then this was their perfect opportunity to show up in full force and prove to everybody they were wrong. If they whip UGA by two TDs then they convince the world. I personally don’t think they would have as I think they would have lost by a wide margin anyway.

Instead they quit on the team, the school and themselves. In my mind it shows many on the team were undeserving of the CFP and it looks like they were scared to play the game.

I am glad Kirby criticized them (the no shows).

Definitely a broken system. They need to consider the bowls as an extension of the season and no transfer, portal and crap should occur for active players until season is over.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:28 am

FSU should have played Liberty and Oregon/UGA. Terrible scheduling.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:31 am

College Football created this broken system that produced last night’s result when it clung so stubbornly to the two-team and more recently the four-team playoff model. Hate it for FSU, and really Georgia, too. But this is what happens when stupid people fail to realize that a college football playoff is best when it involves a representative (at least 12 but more likely 16) number of teams.

AppState00_01

Unread post by AppState00_01 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:40 am

I am thinking the extended playoff will help with the nfl talent wanting to sit out during the playoff and possibly transfers hold out until there team is eliminated.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:40 am

Even with 12 team playoff the current system will continue to kill any competitive bowl matchups (non-CFP) in future.

AppState00_01

Unread post by AppState00_01 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:50 am

Agreed, it may be a good reason for further playoff expansion.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:22 am

I think it’s funny when coaches criticize the portal yet they still pull players from it. They are part of the “they” that they are constantly criticizing.

The extended “playoff” will further diminish the remaining bowls. Might as well do away with them.
WE ARE YOSEF!

704App

Unread post by 704App » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:30 am

goapps93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:22 am
I think it’s funny when coaches criticize the portal yet they still pull players from it. They are part of the “they” that they are constantly criticizing.

The extended “playoff” will further diminish the remaining bowls. Might as well do away with them.
You can think it's dumb but also realize that's the only way you're going to stay employed in today's game.

Obviously it's a different sport and apples to oranges, but I believe it was John Kruk that said that's the reason steroids took off in baseball. They didn't control for so long, that was the only way felt like you could keep your job. You may not agree with doing it, but everybody else was doing it and they were going to surpass you so you didn't really have an option.

Same thing here -- you might absolutely hate it but also know you're out of a job if you don't use it.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:30 am

QueencityApp wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:45 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:14 pm
bcoach wrote:
I’m showing my age but guys anything “Barstool” sports is not like Jim Nantz on CBS. 😂
They sounded like they had fallen off a barstool.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:41 am

704App wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:30 am
goapps93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:22 am

You can think it's dumb but also realize that's the only way you're going to stay employed in today's game.

Obviously it's a different sport and apples to oranges, but I believe it was John Kruk that said that's the reason steroids took off in baseball. They didn't control for so long, that was the only way felt like you could keep your job. You may not agree with doing it, but everybody else was doing it and they were going to surpass you so you didn't really have an option.

Same thing here -- you might absolutely hate it but also know you're out of a job if you don't use it.
Again the root of the problem is money.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:44 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:28 am
FSU should have played Liberty and Oregon/UGA. Terrible scheduling.
Georgia played Oregon last year, they weren’t going to line them up again. Won by 45 even with Bo Nix.
Last edited by 311neers on Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:48 am

I would have liked to have seen the expansion go to 8 teams first and see how that does. With 12 teams, you’re going to get blowouts like last night. 8 still gets the top tier teams in and leaves room for good/big time bowl games.

With 12 teams making it, we will see guys sit regular season games in the middle of the year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”