Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SO tired of hearing it

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: SO tired of hearing it

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:50 pm

Kam - 237/333 = 71.2%--- 151.1 Eff --- 14TD/4 INT --- 2713 YDS/226.1 APG

To me - those are outstanding numbers and yes, it was an FCS schedule but that is all we have to go on except that he was 22/39 for 221 yards against Georgia - right on his yearly average ---

His 151 efficiency would have placed him in the top 10 FCS nationally if eligible ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:37 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:Kam - 237/333 = 71.2%--- 151.1 Eff --- 14TD/4 INT --- 2713 YDS/226.1 APG

To me - those are outstanding numbers and yes, it was an FCS schedule but that is all we have to go on except that he was 22/39 for 221 yards against Georgia - right on his yearly average ---

His 151 efficiency would have placed him in the top 10 FCS nationally if eligible ---
That's really eye-opening. Cox's season was even more impressive. How the **** did we have a 4-win season again??? :?:

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:54 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:I don't quite understand your response? - I would understand if your question was to whom would be the back-up QB, because we haven't seen either one play in a college game but it sounds as if you think Kam had a questionably non-productive year? - That's where I think you are wrong ---
I respect that. I just think that we "expected" too much of Jamal coming off the ACL, and then threw Kam into a tough situation also coming off the ACL, and had not "coached" him up to that point....Heck, no-one that I know saw Jamal's knee as a problem....but someone should have. I just do not know if Kam is the answer. I know this I love his mom because I sat around her several away games and our fans were brutal and she was always classy.

I do however, know what I saw on the field and that was a much reduced offense, even at the end of the season from what we will be required to operate this year and going forward.....I just hope he is up to it because he gave us our best shot at winning last year and deserves a shot. I also just think the leash for anyone is going to be short!
Go APPS!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:55 pm

Gonzo wrote:How the **** did we have a 4-win season again??? :?:
I'll give it a stab:

Jamal was underweight and not nearly healthy enough to perform at FCS level.
Sean Price drama.
The wrong strength and conditioning program.
New defensive scheme.
Not enough pressure/production from defensive line.
Too many unnecessary penalties early in season.
Did I mention that we had the wrong strength and conditioning program?!?

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Last years weaknesses are now strengths.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:00 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:The issues we faced in the first seven games of last season were varied and complex. To pin our poor start on the play of our quarterbacks (especially Kam), in my opinion, is far too simplistic.
They were, I agree!...from my view, we did not stress Jamal enough, and hoped, and then did not prepare Kam just in case.....and there was not a legit 3rd option unless you wanted to burn the redshirt.

IMO....neither one was ready to play out of the box.....and I am surely not blaming it all on them!....I overheard a couple of coaches essentially saying the same thing going up the hill after one game.....What would have been interesting is to have med-red-shirted Jamal....and made Kam your QB from day one....but who knew?
Go APPS!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:01 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
I'll give it a stab:

Sean Price drama.
New defensive scheme.
Yep. I would add very simple and conservative play calling at the beginning of the season, which I'm sure had to do with so many young guys in the game, especially at the Oline position.

It still seems like we should have done better with those two players having such great seasons. Any given Saturday I suppose.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:02 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
I'll give it a stab:

Sean Price drama.
New defensive scheme.
That APPears to be on the right track!
Go APPS!

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:09 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:Kam - 237/333 = 71.2%--- 151.1 Eff --- 14TD/4 INT --- 2713 YDS/226.1 APG

Heck I could be wrong......but the offense we ran for most of the season did not "look" like the same kind of an offense we would have run with a healthy QB. He did everything we asked of him, I like the kid. He was obviously efficient! I just do not think that winning in the SB can be done without better QB play than we had in '13. Injury, coaching, ability....whatever!
Go APPS!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:26 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
I'll give it a stab:

Sean Price drama.
New defensive scheme.
I want to add two more things to this point. Most of the players we had here were recruited out of 4-3 defenses. It's easier for the front 7 to go from a 3-4 to a 4-3 than the other way around. I went through it first hand so I know. Second. We hired Nate Woody right at a month before signing day. This class we are recruiting right now is his first class as not a single player we signed with the 2014 class was offered after we hired Coach Woody. This 2015 class is the first class that has players he has evaluated with his staff. It may be our second FBS class but it's his first. That is very important when trying to run a 3-4. It's all about assignment football and the 3 second rule. Break either one of those and big gains will be had. Our D finally started getting better in the last few games as we shuffled players around and light bulbs finally started going off. Hopefully the last year of experience will allow us to play even better until Coach Woody can get a couple of his recruit classes in here. It does take a little time.

HappyHippie

Unread post by HappyHippie » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 pm

I hope Excuses State University does not replace Appalachian State University again this year.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:50 pm

HappyHippie wrote:I hope Excuses State University does not replace Appalachian State University again this year.
I'm not making an excuse. I'm simply stating a fact. Have you been a defensive football player who had to make the switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4? If you have then then great, you know exactly how difficult a change it is, especially for the tackles and the LB's. If you haven't then might I suggest you stick to a different topic.

HappyHippie

Unread post by HappyHippie » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:01 pm

firemoose wrote:
HappyHippie wrote:I hope Excuses State University does not replace Appalachian State University again this year.
I'm not making an excuse. I'm simply stating a fact. Have you been a defensive football player who had to make the switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4? If you have then then great, you know exactly how difficult a change it is, especially for the tackles and the LB's. If you haven't then might I suggest you stick to a different topic.
You feel better now?

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 pm

HappyHippie wrote:
firemoose wrote:
You feel better now?
Truthfully I couldn't care less. If you don't know then you don't know. Troll away. But just make sure the seatbelt on the bandwagon is tight or you might fall off.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:29 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
I'll give it a stab:

Sean Price drama.
New defensive scheme.
Along with conservative play calling early in the season, I'll add on Satterfield calling plays from the sidelines for the first time ever. He confirmed how he struggled not seeing the whole field. Also, Woody was put in the booth for the final stretch of the season and the defense improved, including making second-half adjustments.

The captains last year were JLJ, Blair, Washington, Peacock and Stewart, JLJ got benched and never recovered, Blair got arrested for drinking underage while driving and got hurt in the same week leading to a medical redshirt. Stewart is a kicker and while that might seem unfair, during the game the kickers are by themselves practicing. Washington and Peacock were seniors who had their goal of conference and NCAA championships taken away.

There were a lot of things that happened last year, some preventable, some not. Still, you can look at a select few plays that would have made 4-8 into 8-4 if they had gone differently. Hell, the reverse is true for 2011 and 2012.

brownbs

Unread post by brownbs » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:11 am

Took some time to read through all of the responses and this was exactly what I was hoping for from this community. There were plenty of points made from both sides that took the time to discuss their argument. It was so refreshing to see discussion like this from App State football fans. All of this just gets me super excited for the upcoming season, we have a long road ahead but I cant wait to see what happens.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:55 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
I'll give it a stab:

Sean Price drama.
New defensive scheme.
Last year was ASU football's Perfect Storm. All the conditions for a major step back had been gathering and came together in 2013. In addition to the aforementioned issues toss in less than stellar recruiting - especially OL - the previous few years, Scott's inexperience as head coach and issues in the locker room that were never publicly talked about. I think Kam is a very smart QB who makes good decisions. He is not a difference maker who will win games on his on but he isn't likely to get us beat either. He does not have good arm strength down field and is relatively immobile. It all gets down to what Scott wants out of the position. A game manager or a game breaker. If one of the young kids is better, play him.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:56 am

Gonzo wrote:

That's really eye-opening. Cox's season was even more impressive. How the **** did we have a 4-win season again??? :?:
App only scored 24 TD's from the redzone last year. We played 48 quarters, you do the math. App was pretty good between the 20's, not so much in a short field. That has to improve.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:07 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
I'll give it a stab:

Sean Price drama.
New defensive scheme.
Add to that list a new Head Coach in his first year as a Head Coach and basically a new coaching staff. They learn from experience too.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:44 am

Kgfish wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

App only scored 24 TD's from the redzone last year. We played 48 quarters, you do the math. App was pretty good between the 20's, not so much in a short field. That has to improve.
Yes and a problem we have had since Armanti left - this has to get better and as Steve Brown has said for some time, "I would like to see us go into a 2 back set in these situations" ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”