Cobb: ACC team in Kidd Brewer

Maddog1956
School: Appalachian State

Re: Cobb: ACC team in Kidd Brewer

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:45 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Maddog1956 wrote:
AppState2014 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:"Cobb said bringing an ACC team to Boone would not require a stadium expansion."

A lot of folks on this board would tell him otherwise.
He could very well be referring to the specific team he is talking to or mean that there are some in general that would not require it. I would agree with him. Last year we averaged less than 25k and there are some ACC teams who would probably bring about 3-5k fans. The only ones that immediately come to mind who I know for sure would require us to have many more seats are Clemson, UNC, and NC State. I don't think WFU or Duke travel well and I'm not sure how many fans from FSU, UVA, GT, BC, etc would come all the way to Boone. I'm thinking he is talking to WFU, Duke, GT, NC State, or UVA.
Wake has a long history with us and their fans like the games as well as us. Duke has one of the lowest attendance in the FBS and neither need the money home games would generate so both are a high option. I wouldn't write off FSU just because Fla folks love the mountains. But since he said "talking" nothing is really in stone yet. In general he just meant that expansion isn't required for several teams he's "talking" with.
When you say "FSU" in the context of home games in Boone - you do mean Fayetville State University and not reigning BCS National Champion Florida State University, right?

Or is this intended to be pure sarcasm?
Sorry I didn't know Fayetville State University was in Fla or I guess that was sarcasm.

It was actually a joke about how many Florida tags you see in the High Country. I painted houses during a couple summers and 75% of the houses we painted we own by folk from Fla.

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:57 pm

When can we expect something more official RE: Florida State @ Appalachian State?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:15 pm

May I inquire as to the reasons you continue to post negative stuff? Get it all out here and maybe the rest of us can empathize with you. Then we can try to find positive topics to discuss.

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Travel for UNC-CH, Duke, NCSU or Clemson seems problematic to me. They are too close for s flight to Charlotte and then a drive up the mountain to make sense, and too far for those teams to go by bus. For this reason-and others-Wake makes sense. Although you could certainly make a case for one of the distant schools like BC or Syracuse. Regardless, if Cobb pulls this off it will be quite a coup.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:51 am

Nugget49 wrote:Travel for UNC-CH, Duke, NCSU or Clemson seems problematic to me. They are too close for s flight to Charlotte and then a drive up the mountain to make sense, and too far for those teams to go by bus. For this reason-and others-Wake makes sense. Although you could certainly make a case for one of the distant schools like BC or Syracuse. Regardless, if Cobb pulls this off it will be quite a coup.
Three hours up 40/421 is a problematic bus ride? That's almost as dumb as suggesting that Cobb "pulling this off" is some kind of surprise.

Thanks for the backhanded compliments. I appreciate your continued interest in our great program. Now, run along to your FCS board and discuss actually defeating a division 3 opponent this year.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:48 am

A 3 hour bus ride in which 95% of the travel is on a 4+ lane highways (40 and 421) is problematic?

You guys are going to love traveling to Marshall.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:13 am

Saint3333 wrote:A 3 hour bus ride in which 95% of the travel is on a 4+ lane highways (40 and 421) is problematic?
Yeah, really don't know what he was talking about there.

UNC and Clemson aren't coming to Boone any time soon, but it's not because of the bus ride.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:12 am

I dislike UNCC as much as the next guy, but why you guys being tough on 49? He didn't say anything that was insulting to App, just making point, give the guy a break. As far as his statement, normally I disagree with it, since a lot of teams travel 3 or 4 hours, but, it when you consider its App, NC State, Duke and especially Carolina, are going to look for any excuse not to have to travel up the mountain, they consider us beneath them, their feeling is why do we have to put forth the effort to travel 4 hours to a startup program? If they want to play us so bad, they can come here. To be honest, we would act the same way if NC Central called looking for a home/home series.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:42 pm

moehler wrote:I dislike UNCC as much as the next guy, but why you guys being tough on 49? He didn't say anything that was insulting to App, just making point, give the guy a break. As far as his statement, normally I disagree with it, since a lot of teams travel 3 or 4 hours, but, it when you consider its App, NC State, Duke and especially Carolina, are going to look for any excuse not to have to travel up the mountain, they consider us beneath them, their feeling is why do we have to put forth the effort to travel 4 hours to a startup program? If they want to play us so bad, they can come here. To be honest, we would act the same way if NC Central called looking for a home/home series.
And that's the point - if they don't come here, it's not because of the length of the bus ride, it's because they won't agree to play a road game against a Sun Belt team/FBS newcomer.

However, given that Duke will play @Troy this year, and State has upcoming games @ ODU, South Alabama and Troy, I'm not sure they actually take that view.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:15 pm

I had heard State at ODU was kinda of a special deal because the tidewater area is considered one of the top recruiting areas, and State was playing the game at ODU hoping to get some of those top recruits in the area to attend the game, basically, using the game as a recruiting trip. As far as Duke, good for them, I just remembered they played at FIU 2 or 3 years ago, they seem, atleast every couple of years, willing to travel to a G5 school, gives me hope they might someday come to
Boone, as far as Carolina, no way in hell they make it up the mountain in the next 10 years. ECU every year since the early 80's has tried to get the Heels to Greenville, it finally took State legislators forcing Carolina to travel to ECU.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:54 pm

I'd put my $$$$$$ on the ACC team being Wake. Wake is in the 2nd year of a home and home with UL-M. Fly alllllll the way down there to play a Sun Belt team or drive up the mountain 1hr and 15 minutes? Saves tons of $$$$$$$. Just my opinion.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Yep, if I was going to put my money on one team, it's Wake.

Nugget49

Unread post by Nugget49 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Saint3333 wrote:A 3 hour bus ride in which 95% of the travel is on a 4+ lane highways (40 and 421) is problematic?

First I wasn't talking about Charlotte. What we will do is probably very different from what NCSU will do. Maybe the Triangle ACC schools do 3 hour bus rides to smaller programs, but that would surprise me for programs with basically unlimited travel budgets.

Secondly, I didn't say if Cobb pulled it off it would be a surprise, I said it would be a coup. That is a compliment Bozo, and not a back-handed one. Jeez, some people just want to be offended.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Chill with insults. Then go back and read you are responding to the wrong poster.

EVERY program in America takes a bus for a three hour trip, get a clue.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Nugget49 wrote:

First I wasn't talking about Charlotte. What we will do is probably very different from what NCSU will do. Maybe the Triangle ACC schools do 3 hour bus rides to smaller programs, but that would surprise me for programs with basically unlimited travel budgets.

Secondly, I didn't say if Cobb pulled it off it would be a surprise, I said it would be a coup. That is a compliment Bozo, and not a back-handed one. Jeez, some people just want to be offended.
As a guest to the forum, you might want to ease up on the name calling.

Struggling to follow your abstract thought pattern here: A coup? As in Cobb would be usurping power from the Triangle?

And the term "pulls this off" is what indicated to me that you thought this was some big surprise. Not coup. I know it hurts your delusions about our program and how it compares to UNCC, but us luring Wake or another ACC program to play in Boone is not a farfetched idea.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:12 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Nugget49 wrote:

Struggling to follow your abstract thought pattern here: A coup? As in Cobb would be usurping power from the Triangle?

And the term "pulls this off" is what indicated to me that you thought this was some big surprise. Not coup. I know it hurts your delusions about our program and how it compares to UNCC, but us luring Wake or another ACC program to play in Boone is not a farfetched idea.
Also Wake owes us one at least as we have played them nearly 20 times since 1975 and have won six times and tied them twice. I was there in '75 when we first played Wake and beat them on a last second field goal. Get some history, Niner's, before you go calling "coup". We have plenty.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Nugget49 wrote: Maybe the Triangle ACC schools do 3 hour bus rides to smaller programs, but that would surprise me for programs with basically unlimited travel budgets.
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, I just don't understand your line of thinking here. Why would it be preferable from a travel perspective for Duke or State to fly to Alabama to play USA or Troy than to drive to Boone?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure those teams have some comparable bus rides to play ACC road games, not that they have a choice, of course.

Nugget49

Unread post by Nugget49 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:06 am

Saint3333 wrote:Chill with insults. Then go back and read you are responding to the wrong poster.

EVERY program in America takes a bus for a three hour trip, get a clue.
My Bozo comment was not aimed at you, so I am sorry for the confusion. I guess time will tell whether the Triangle ACC schools will ride up the mountain. I say no, but feel free to rub my nose in it when it happens.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:16 am

it depends on the team, I think Wake will be in Boone within 5 years, Duke 50/50 in 5 years, NC State, possible, but wouldn't bet on it, Carolina, no way in hell.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:13 am

appstate77 wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
Nugget49 wrote:

Also Wake owes us one at least as we have played them nearly 20 times since 1975 and have won six times and tied them twice. I was there in '75 when we first played Wake and beat them on a last second field goal. Get some history, Niner's, before you go calling "coup". We have plenty.
While I would like to see the Deacons come to Boone I don't see it happening. Why should they? Contrary to what you think Wake owes us nothing. We were paid for those games. They've already shown they're scared of App by dodging us all these years. It was a great game and one that should eb played, but until we get 30,000 SEATS I don't see it happening.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”