2024 Playoff 2 chances

Bigdaddyg1
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2024 Playoff 2 chances

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:08 pm

How do you know that those guys got that kind of NIL money? $250k really?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:16 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:08 pm
Clark told me at one of the Yosef Club tour stops in the spring.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:21 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:58 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:30 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:16 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:03 pm
The reality is that we aren’t going to be able to compete with any P5 school monetarily regardless. If they leave, they leave. “You are either all in or all out.” No sense in worrying or overthinking it.
While I completely agree, it could possibly do some good if we can scrounge enough NIL together to make it a somewhat compelling option. If Joey and all his receivers each get a chunk of change maybe they say “we’ve got some unfinished business and some change in our pockets, let’s all stay”. It’s a long shot and probably not realistic, but who knows.

Regardless, we need to be more competitive in the NIL environment.
True. But here is my question(s). How much does that take per player? $20k? Who is going to foot that bill? I mean we lost a backup LB to Auburn for $250k and a backup OL for $50k. How can you compete with that if it’s all about the money? We have given guys some paltry NIL money to get them to stay and that’s great, but it is nowhere that kind of money. We can’t get people to donate to YC without some tangible perks. Imagine asking someone to give $10 to NIL. They’ll expect an undefeated season.
We can have the mentality that we cannot compete or even try to compete. Yes, the reality is that we are not going to compete with Auburn and Oklahoma. However, I try to have the mentality that we are going to try to do the best can and get the most out of nil. I try to look at it as we can. Promote the heck out of it...call on people to give to nil, YC and whatever else avenue to compete. If it is not enough, it is what it is. .

On a side note..
Whether one gives to nil or not, the expectation is that we go 12-0 every year or the coach is on the hot seat....it has been confirmed by a statistically representative sample on Yosef's Cabin 😂😂
Well yes. I agree. But I know that people like to worry about NIl this time of year and I don’t want to diminish how it factors in. I’m just not going to worry about it until we start losing guys to peer schools. I’m not saying that you don’t lay the groundwork for it if and when it comes. And to be fair, we have been able to keep some guys that could have gotten more elsewhere. So it isn’t impossible.

As to your last point. Yes, you aren’t going to keep the keyboard warriors from complaining about losses and wanting to fire coaches. They are a level of mental instability that I’m not qualified to help. But we can’t continue to go to the same wells to fund our wants. Eventually, the little guy has to put MORE skin in the game.
For sure - which means we (App) need to do a better job of making it easy to donate for people who want to donate. I tried looking at the NIL collective earlier today and couldn’t figure out how to do it (granted it was before 7am and I was laying in bed). I can’t give enough to buy a 3rd string walk on kicker a value meal at the 2 story Wendy’s, but if enough of us donate, we can biggie size that meal.

Which again means promoting and making it easy to do.
Give 'em hell!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:37 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:21 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

While I completely agree, it could possibly do some good if we can scrounge enough NIL together to make it a somewhat compelling option. If Joey and all his receivers each get a chunk of change maybe they say “we’ve got some unfinished business and some change in our pockets, let’s all stay”. It’s a long shot and probably not realistic, but who knows.

True. But here is my question(s). How much does that take per player? $20k? Who is going to foot that bill? I mean we lost a backup LB to Auburn for $250k and a backup OL for $50k. How can you compete with that if it’s all about the money? We have given guys some paltry NIL money to get them to stay and that’s great, but it is nowhere that kind of money. We can’t get people to donate to YC without some tangible perks. Imagine asking someone to give $10 to NIL. They’ll expect an undefeated season.
We can have the mentality that we cannot compete or even try to compete. Yes, the reality is that we are not going to compete with Auburn and Oklahoma. However, I try to have the mentality that we are going to try to do the best can and get the most out of nil. I try to look at it as we can. Promote the heck out of it...call on people to give to nil, YC and whatever else avenue to compete. If it is not enough, it is what it is. .

On a side note..
Whether one gives to nil or not, the expectation is that we go 12-0 every year or the coach is on the hot seat....it has been confirmed by a statistically representative sample on Yosef's Cabin 😂😂
Well yes. I agree. But I know that people like to worry about NIl this time of year and I don’t want to diminish how it factors in. I’m just not going to worry about it until we start losing guys to peer schools. I’m not saying that you don’t lay the groundwork for it if and when it comes. And to be fair, we have been able to keep some guys that could have gotten more elsewhere. So it isn’t impossible.

As to your last point. Yes, you aren’t going to keep the keyboard warriors from complaining about losses and wanting to fire coaches. They are a level of mental instability that I’m not qualified to help. But we can’t continue to go to the same wells to fund our wants. Eventually, the little guy has to put MORE skin in the game.
For sure - which means we (App) need to do a better job of making it easy to donate for people who want to donate. I tried looking at the NIL collective earlier today and couldn’t figure out how to do it (granted it was before 7am and I was laying in bed). I can’t give enough to buy a 3rd string walk on kicker a value meal at the 2 story Wendy’s, but if enough of us donate, we can biggie size that meal.

I’ve seen the car you drive. You can afford a #7 on the menu. 🤣🤣

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:38 pm

Funny/horrifying enough, I saw some Oregon fans on Twitter mentioning Cam Ward from
wazzu and Joey. The secret is getting out.
YNWA

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:40 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

On a side note..

Agreed. I reviewed the information in the link as well. It is. It easy. Do not know the rules . .but, if possible, a button link to a contribution screen. If I need to tie it to a business...let me choose one im Boone like Ingles, The Cardinal...I could care less other than I want like 99 to 109% going to the player of my choice.

I would also like to have option to make the nil contribution, however, it be deferred to either graduation or the player goes to a professional league. If those do not happen, my money goes back into the pot and I tie it to another player. I would rather not see my funds go to player A and two years later they are at whatever P5 school.Yes, I am old school in thinking that I would like to see objectives achieved just being a player at App. St.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:46 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:40 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

On a side note..

Agreed. I reviewed the information in the link as well. It is. It easy. Do not know the rules . .but, if possible, a button link to a contribution screen. If I need to tie it to a business...let me choose one im Boone like Ingles, The Cardinal...I could care less other than I want like 99 to 109% going to the player of my choice.

I would also like to have option to make the nil contribution, however, it be deferred to either graduation or the player goes to a professional league. If those do not happen, my money goes back into the pot and I tie it to another player. I would rather not see my funds go to player A and two years later they are at whatever P5 school.Yes, I am old school in thinking that I would like to see objectives achieved just being a player at App. St.
I’m not a fan of NIL. I understand the principle reason for it. I just feel like it isn’t a fair distribution of NIL wealth, which was part of the argument for NIl. Instead of putting money in the pockets of student athletes, I would rather put forth an effort to keep money in their pocket. I think that taking care of the day-to-day expenses of these kids would be easier to donate too. A couple of suggestions is to create and stock a pantry of living necessities such as toiletries and some canned food items would help them out. Another idea is to create a year round training table for all athletes.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:19 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:16 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
The former App linebacker now at Auburn got $250,000?? What are star players getting? That just seems crazy to me.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:28 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:38 pm
Funny/horrifying enough, I saw some Oregon fans on Twitter mentioning Cam Ward from
wazzu and Joey. The secret is getting out.
That’s ok, Joey wasn’t even our starter.
BLACK SATURDAY

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:50 pm

If Liberty gets the NY6 game that really sets up our schedule to help considerably for our shot next year.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:07 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:19 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
The former App linebacker now at Auburn got $250,000?? What are star players getting? That just seems crazy to me.
Drake Maye was rumored to have been offered $4 million by an SEC school before this season. Wonder how much UNC was giving him?
BLACK SATURDAY

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:32 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:07 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:19 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Drake Maye was rumored to have been offered $4 million by an SEC school before this season. Wonder how much UNC was giving him?
I've seen him on a heating and air company commercial and heard him on the radio for the same. My App son told me yesterday that at least one of our guys gets some $ from a Boone biscuit restaurant.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:40 pm

If it happens, just thaw out the leftover burger. We will be fine.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:50 pm

This conversation and these collectives are what is wrong with NIL. I really don’t think it was supposed to be what it has become. How can anyone even make a promise of money to a player without them being in the portal? Before we know it we won’t be able to fund scholarships because all the money will be going to NIL. Then what?
WE ARE YOSEF!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:53 pm

There needs to be caps on it, imo
BLACK SATURDAY

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:49 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:53 pm
Agree - if you’re going to have NIL (which we will, forever), then there should be some sort of department or program “salary cap”. It should all have to be reported (as it already is, since it is income, right?), and there should be compliance in place. And the penalty for breaking the rules should be hefty impacts/reductions to the cap for a number of years. This would require schools to officially get into bed with NIL, which the NCAA doesn’t want, though.

But it’s not like regulation would matter. It would be extremely easy for an outside influence to provide benefits outside of a collective. It was happening in private before, it would be harder to spot now with permissible benefits already in play.

If a school wants to blow its wad on a single player, go ahead. But having a salary cap in place forces programs to be more careful. And then do you have title 9 to account for?
Give 'em hell!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:10 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:49 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Agree - if you’re going to have NIL (which we will, forever), then there should be some sort of department or program “salary cap”. It should all have to be reported (as it already is, since it is income, right?), and there should be compliance in place. And the penalty for breaking the rules should be hefty impacts/reductions to the cap for a number of years. This would require schools to officially get into bed with NIL, which the NCAA doesn’t want, though.

But it’s not like regulation would matter. It would be extremely easy for an outside influence to provide benefits outside of a collective. It was happening in private before, it would be harder to spot now with permissible benefits already in play.

If a school wants to blow its wad on a single player, go ahead. But having a salary cap in place forces programs to be more careful. And then do you have title 9 to account for?
Excellent point on Title IX. Saw where Joey’s current valuation is $450k. It would be interesting to see someone challenge that in court to get that same amount for female athletes.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:23 pm

ggasu wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:26 am
Doubt they change the format for 2024. Top 6 conference champions get automatic bids.

Group of 5 will have 2 teams in the field of 12. (Because of the surprise implosion of the PAC 12)

Best chance ever for a playoff spot….they will probably drop it back to 1 group of 5 after next year.

With our schedule 12-1 will get us there.
I believe they will change the format before they make it that easy for Appalachian to win another National Championship in Football. Were Appalachian to win a National Championship in football they would definitely change the format to keep that from happening again...

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:26 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:10 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:49 pm
Black Saturday wrote:

Excellent point on Title IX. Saw where Joey’s current valuation is $450k. It would be interesting to see someone challenge that in court to get that same amount for female athletes.
He will be gone by January if he can get that kind of money.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:29 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:51 am
ggasu wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:26 am
Doubt they change the format for 2024. Top 6 conference champions get automatic bids.

Group of 5 will have 2 teams in the field of 12. (Because of the surprise implosion of the PAC 12)

Best chance ever for a playoff spot….they will probably drop it back to 1 group of 5 after next year.

With our schedule 12-1 will get us there.
You are close. 13-0.
If we are 12-1 with a close loss to Clemson we could do it. Sun Belt has more respect than people think. CFP is not suppose to comment on it but someone I know in the media who is connected in that realm told me the belief was that JMU would have been around 15-18 before our loss and thinks they would be in the top 25 this week even with our loss.

Based on watching the AAC, MWC, and SBC I am 99% sure our top 3 (JMU, App, Troy) could beat Tulane. They got a stud QB and a good defense but they have not seen a QB like Aguilar this year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”