Coach Drink Staff Thread

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:06 am

So are we just announcing 1 hire a day? Let me guess, either Nic Cardwell or Greg gasparato (both great hires IMO) will be announced today and tomorrow.
Anxious to see the DC announced and other new coaches who are added.
I know Drink said it will be the right hire not the quick one, and i'm sure holidays and bowls may be slowing the process, but it would be nice for the players to know who they will be playing for and get some recruiting going too

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:10 am

Football Scoop reporting Cardwell will not be retained. Football Scoop is very hit or miss. I love Nic Cardwell and was hoping we could find a place for him. GO APPS!!

Unread post by 8993 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 am

appstate24 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:10 am
Football Scoop reporting Cardwell will not be retained. Football Scoop is very hit or miss. I love Nic Cardwell and was hoping we could find a place for him. GO APPS!!
I don't know about that. Nic just tweeted about how excited he was that Shawn Clark had been retained yesterday. For somebody who isn't sticking around, that's a weird thing to tweet out.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:15 am

appstate24 wrote:
I hope we can keep him. He is another App guy 100% and great energy. I dont know what Drink is looking for, but it seems our TEs always do a great job blocking and receiving

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:16 am

I saw that tweet and thought the very same thing.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:21 am

tm37766 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:29 pm
I don't post often, and might be inaccurate in my thought process, but a quick Google search shows Ted Roof earns $550,000/year. Can or would App compete with that for a D .C.?

That $550K was Roof's compensation while he was at Ga Tech. App could not/would not pay that amount to a coordinator or co-coordinator. $550K is more than one-third of Coach D's entire budget for assistant coaches.

We were paying Brian Brown $200K when he took the redeye flight to Louisville.

Ted Roof is making $200K as the #10 assistant at NC State and could make a max of $300K if he manages to check-off all of the incentives he qualifies for.

Here's the info many of us are freaked out about. Coach D could probably afford Roof's salary under his "cap" for assistant coaching salaries. :shock:
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:47 am

The Rock wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:15 am
appstate24 wrote:
I hope we can keep him. He is another App guy 100% and great energy. I dont know what Drink is looking for, but it seems our TEs always do a great job blocking and receiving
I will say most of the time the TE coach doubles as ST also. Obviously Cardwell wasn’t doing that. I would like him to fit on staff somehow though.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:26 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 pm
biggie wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:16 pm
At this point I wonder if Drink will have anyone with App ties or if he’s just starting over from scratch. Which would worry me about trying to have too much change what is currently working.

https://appstatesports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=315
Assistant Head Coach is a new title right? I figured this would happen, if that's the case, for him or for Ivey. Drink wants to be the OC and Head Coach so it makes perfect sense to have split duty at the executive level for the program.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:27 am

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:06 pm
huskie3 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:32 am
If you look at our D after the snap we are sometimes in a 4 or 5 man front. At times there is not much difference in our inside lb and de. It's all about reads and mobility.
Correct. Our base is a 3-4, but technically we run a multiple front defense. This is what Drink was referring to in the press conference. It gives you flexibility to find athletes that can be moved around without having to compete with the P5s to get the best at any one position.
Why couldn't he have just said that "we will run the same defense". The multiple front is the same thing as we currently run and he could've culled a lot of speculation here by just saying that he isn't changing the approach on defense.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:29 am

8993 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 am
appstate24 wrote:
I don't know about that. Nic just tweeted about how excited he was that Shawn Clark had been retained yesterday. For somebody who isn't sticking around, that's a weird thing to tweet out.
Sounds like Nic was already offered a position and accepted. Then Clark was retained and he was happy about it. The thing with Drink is it appears that he wants to operate almost like a President and their Cabinet. He is open to changing his views and will adapt his plans to what he has available. One of the most important qualities in a good leader is adaptability.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:32 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:27 am
appstatealum wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
If you look at our D after the snap we are sometimes in a 4 or 5 man front. At times there is not much difference in our inside lb and de. It's all about reads and mobility.
Correct. Our base is a 3-4, but technically we run a multiple front defense. This is what Drink was referring to in the press conference. It gives you flexibility to find athletes that can be moved around without having to compete with the P5s to get the best at any one position.
Why couldn't he have just said that "we will run the same defense". The multiple front is the same thing as we currently run and he could've culled a lot of speculation here by just saying that he isn't changing the approach on defense.
Why don't we all stop over-analyzing? It would reduce so much anxiety around here.
WE ARE YOSEF!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:38 am

ericsaid wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
If you read your reply you will find your answer. He is planning on running the same basic offense, he has said this several different times, even saying we will run the 3-4. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Also the last thing on his mind is worrying about reactions on a fan forum.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:43 am

fjblair wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:38 am
ericsaid wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
If you read your reply you will find your answer. He is planning on running the same basic offense, he has said this several different times, even saying we will run the 3-4. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Also the last thing on his mind is worrying about reactions on a fan forum.
By "here", I meant within the App fanbase in general. That fan base includes donors. Some here are also donors and while I'm not positive that their reactions are an appropriate cross section of the Yosef Club, I'd say some people were concerned. He used different terms to explain his defensive plan and the offense was a given considering he runs the same basic offense that App ran with Satterfield.

However, there will be under center packages installed, more 11 personnel, and likely more downhill running rather than stretch runs. I'd say that his offense will be run out of the same basic offensive formation but the play calling and design will look quite a bit different.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:44 am

goapps93 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:32 am
ericsaid wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
Why don't we all stop over-analyzing? It would reduce so much anxiety around here.
What else is there to do when there is no Spring Practice until Spring? And winter just hit today. App hasn't gone through a change like this since before I was born. That's kind of a big deal.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:51 am

Our defense is more specialized than a traditional 3-4. We utilize what we have in personnel to make it work and we substitute size with speed. It is unique and takes some special knowledge to effectively use it. That being said, it may look like a 3-4 or a 4-2-5 or something similar next year but there me be some subtle changes in terms of run fits and blitzes.

WarApp

Unread post by WarApp » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:55 am

If the pool is $1.5 million for his staff, split among 10 coaches and an S&C guy, how about this for a potential breakdown:

AHC/OL: $200k
DC: $200k
S&C: $150k
Def Asst: $150k
Off/ST Asst: $125k
Def Asst: $125k
Off Asst: $100k

That adds up to $1.5 million. Since the HC is the OC, I allocated slightly more ($100k) of the assistant pool to the defensive side of the ball.

We need to push the salary pool for assistants a lot higher. Give to Yosef Club early and often.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:56 am

Not sure if it was posted but D.J. Smith has officially been retained as well, according to Football Scoop.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:59 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:51 am
Our defense is more specialized than a traditional 3-4. We utilize what we have in personnel to make it work and we substitute size with speed. It is unique and takes some special knowledge to effectively use it. That being said, it may look like a 3-4 or a 4-2-5 or something similar next year but there me be some subtle changes in terms of run fits and blitzes.
Please elaborate. I understand that App has played with undersized guys and many questioned that back when Woody first began his install, but how specialized of a coach does it really take? Fortunately, D.J. Smith looks to be staying and he has experience in the NFL playing within attacking, multiple front defenses with Green Bay and Houston. He has also been on staff since 2016 at App when Woody was still here. Even with his title not being related to the field, he likely was given some responsibility for watching film and game plan development.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:16 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:26 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 pm
biggie wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:16 pm
At this point I wonder if Drink will have anyone with App ties or if he’s just starting over from scratch. Which would worry me about trying to have too much change what is currently working.
I don’t think its a new title. Ivey had that title as did Satterfield when he was brought bac from FIU. It might have been Associate HC but same thing. Very happy Clark has it now.

https://appstatesports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=315
Assistant Head Coach is a new title right? I figured this would happen, if that's the case, for him or for Ivey. Drink wants to be the OC and Head Coach so it makes perfect sense to have split duty at the executive level for the program.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:02 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:59 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:51 am
Please elaborate. I understand that App has played with undersized guys and many questioned that back when Woody first began his install, but how specialized of a coach does it really take? Fortunately, D.J. Smith looks to be staying and he has experience in the NFL playing within attacking, multiple front defenses with Green Bay and Houston. He has also been on staff since 2016 at App when Woody was still here. Even with his title not being related to the field, he likely was given some responsibility for watching film and game plan development.
The 3-4 installed here is designed more as an aggressive front that attacks, rather than moving people for the LBs to get through and make plays. We use guys that are smaller than the prototypical 3 man front, but they are quick and strong. They use techniques and alignments that allow them to get up field and they are high motor guys. Woody developed this defense and he knows it best. To your point, the scheme of the 3-4 may not be all that different, and I suppose it can be taught by any old coach. But the difference going forward is that we don’t have anyone left that has the eye for the talent to run it the same way it has been run. It’s like gameplanning for an opponent. You may know their weaknesses and how to exploit them, but that doesn’t mean that you have the personnel to do it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”