Roll Neers?

Seattleapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Roll Neers?

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:24 pm

AppDub wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:18 pm
97 graduate and I must say I prefer Go Neers over Go Apps. I get that Neers is short for Mountaineers, never really liked the idea of Apps being short for Appalachians. Never made sense to me. Truth be told, don't love either and don't really care as long as the crowd is in it and supporting our team. GoRollAppaNeers. There, solved.
Let me ask you. At a game and you hear
Bum bum bum bum bum bum Go App!
Bum bum bum bum bum bum Fight App!
Bum bum bum bum Go
Bum bum bum bum Fight
Bum bum bum bum bum bum Kick Ass.

Replace that with Neers and let me know what you think.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:50 pm

"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:07 pm

Just the latest example of why our chancellor is terrible. GO APPS!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:19 pm

I have always thought that "App" was like a secret code word that let someone know that you were talking to an actual Appalachian State University graduate or someone that attended Appalachian. You see someone wearing Appalachian State paraphernalia and you ask, "Did you go to Appalachian?" or "Do you go to Appalachian?" Then they reply, "Yes, I went to App," or "Yes, I go to App." You know right away that they really did go or do go to Appalachian. I also believe that branding Appalachian "App State" is pure genius, because there is only one, "App State!"

The whole "Roll Neers!" thing is an attempt to copy Alabama's "Roll Tide!"

Does anyone know if West Virginia University uses, "Roll Neers!"

However, like Ric Flair said, " To be that man, you've got to beat the man. Woooo!"

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:26 am

"Roll Neers" may not be my cheer of choice, however, I am not going to make negative comments about the chancellor. Sitting here as a parent of a current student (as well as an alum), I thought she and rest of administration did a great job managing through a pandemic....as best a one could do with ever changing environment. When the Pack and Heels sent everyone home from the dorms, App St managed through the process and provided kids an option..go home or stay in dorms with restrictions related to pandemic. Not optimal, however have kids done type of college experience as compared to other schools sending kids home. Even with this environment, app St reported low covid rates. This is a testament to chancellor, admin and the students.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:50 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:24 pm
AppDub wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:18 pm
97 graduate and I must say I prefer Go Neers over Go Apps. I get that Neers is short for Mountaineers, never really liked the idea of Apps being short for Appalachians. Never made sense to me. Truth be told, don't love either and don't really care as long as the crowd is in it and supporting our team. GoRollAppaNeers. There, solved.
Let me ask you. At a game and you hear
Bum bum bum bum bum bum Go App!
Bum bum bum bum bum bum Fight App!
Bum bum bum bum Go
Bum bum bum bum Fight
Bum bum bum bum bum bum Kick Ass.

Replace that with Neers and let me know what you think.
I think there me a disconnect here, But I see where you are going with this. I love go fight win App. Neers of course would sound terrible. Its when the s is added to App that it becomes something different. App is a place to me, not sure what Apps are. Usually something ordered before dinner.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:00 am

'Neers isn't my fave and you'll never catch me saying it, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Let the young'uns have their fun.

I'm definitely not gonna get upset about a university nickname. I spend enough time at work upset about any number of things.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:34 am

Can we re-elect Ken Peacock Chancellor?

Best ever in the history of the world .. and Canada.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:17 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:25 pm
I'm not sure why people started to say Neer's and Roll Neer's in the first place. Does anyone know how it even started? My guess is students in the mid 2010's started it once the word App/Apps became known as a tech term. Prior to that App/Apps was all anyone said.
It was around in the early 80's when I was in school.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:28 am

I had a guy from West Virginia make fun of our stuffed Yosef mascot. I had nothing…

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:31 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:28 am
I had a guy from West Virginia make fun of our stuffed Yosef mascot. I had nothing…
It wasn't me (Rek knows that) because I would never make fun of any Yosef mascot - But, WVU does have a Real Mountaineer ---

About WVU use of Roll Neers - I am not sure - back when stupid sayings like "how bout them heels" - some used "how about them Eers" - I don't think it lasted long -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:10 pm

Historical context. Back in the ‘60s most of the Justice crew didn’t mind Happy Appy or UNC Tweetsie. We had problems with guy’s calling us Apple Chain.

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:36 am

Don't like it, don't use it. I never use App State either but don't dislike it. When asked where I went to school I either say, Appalachian or App. I do think promoting the use of App State has resulted in fewer incidents of announcers and commentators butchering the pronunciation of Appalachian, which is a good thing.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:41 am

This Roll nonsense has to stop. It's very cringy. I'm only 31, but this all started towards the end of my college days when ESPN was constantly showing that "Roll Tide" commercial and then all of a sudden people started saying "Roll Neers"

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:45 am

NeersBy90 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:44 am
I love it. Roll 'Neers. Don't like it? Get off my lawn.
Let me start by saying Neers is fine. At least that makes sense. Mountaineers for short. That being said, you would like "Roll Neers" your name is "NeersBy90" like every other basic B SEC fan that says Cats by 90 or insert whatever school. It's cringe as hell. We don't need to copy Alabama and say "Roll Neers"

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:29 am

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:45 am
NeersBy90 wrote:
Let me start by saying Neers is fine. At least that makes sense. Mountaineers for short. That being said, you would like "Roll Neers" your name is "NeersBy90" like every other basic B SEC fan that says Cats by 90 or insert whatever school. It's cringe as hell. We don't need to copy Alabama and say "Roll Neers"
"It's cringe as hell" and "basic B SEC fan" haha.

Did my post make you "feel some type of way" or whatever dumb slang kids use today? I like the phrase Roll Neers and I will continue to use it. Like one poster on here said, he first started hearing it in the 80's, so its been around. There are certainly worse traditions from worse schools that we've copied in the past. Kind of like how we started playing Sandstorm after we beat South Carolina... Let fans be fans however they please.

RollNeersBy90

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:41 am

NeersBy90 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:29 am
NeersBy90 wrote:

Did my post make you "feel some type of way" or whatever dumb slang kids use today? I like the phrase Roll Neers and I will continue to use it. Like one poster on here said, he first started hearing it in the 80's, so its been around. There are certainly worse traditions from worse schools that we've copied in the past. Kind of like how we started playing Sandstorm after we beat South Carolina... Let fans be fans however they please.

RollNeersBy90
90's not enough for next Thursday though. I want to hand triples on the Pie-rats.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:43 am

mike87 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:41 am
NeersBy90 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:29 am
NeersBy90 wrote:

RollNeersBy90
90's not enough for next Thursday though. I want to hand triples on the Pie-rats.
I agree. I should've said RollNeersByAtLeast100. That's my fault haha!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:32 am

I get "Roll Neers" or "go Neers" many time when im wearing App gear out of town.... I "roll" with it..........dont like it but it is what it will be

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:33 am

If we beat ECU by 40, I will make Roll Neers my go to chant for all of the 2021 season even though it is not something that I typically use in cheering on the team.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”