I want to know

AppWyo
School: Appalachian State

Re: I want to know

Unread post by AppWyo » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:09 pm

UNC-Ch gave up 60+ to a G5, they are the ones that should be really concerned.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:13 pm

TheAppalachianState wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:59 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:29 pm
The opposing QBs have been the difference makers in the past two games, including last years bowl game. I thought Coach Jones threw everything he could at Drake Maye and he had an answer for everything. His ability to scramble with his feet when #s were dropped into coverage and then know where his safety value every time we blitz shows the dude is well beyond his years. Best QB we will see this year.

Not sure what to expect vs A&M, but there is no reason to be concerned about needing a coaching change till this continues vs the likes of Troy & JMU.
At this stage in the game, being in the FBS, if ANY team scores 60+ on you, you better be concerned. If you want to forever be outside of the top 25 and be comfortable with it, that’s your business. But I think most of us want to be competitive and champions in football, and our D giving up that much against a middle of the pack P5 is reason to point a finger
11 ranked Oregon team just gave up 49 points today in their opener while getting completely blown out. This does not mean they will never be in the top 25 anymore this year, be competitive, or compete for conference Championship. Sometimes a defense has a bad game against an opponent that is better than them. Doesn't mean we have to walk out onto the ledge.

The offense we faced today was not middle of the pack P5. They will score a lot on many teams. Let's see how the next several games go before we get seriously concerned.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:18 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:05 pm
I was worried about our defense the entire off season, and it seems it was justified. We lost 6 of our top 7 tacklers and more importantly, we lost our defensive ends. I didn't see us get any pressure from our d ends the enitre game, our linebackers are awesome but can only do so much. And our DL line coach is really good, we just seem to lack playmakers at that position. I am concerned with Clark's big game record, but I find no fault in him going for 2 at the end of the game. In fact, I was very pleased with the aggressive call and in some ways it actually took some of the sting out of the loss. We laid an egg for the vast majority of the 2nd and all of the 3rd, but were able to come back and make a game of it. We have an offense, we just need to find a defense.
Agree. We have lost a lot defensively and I reserve judgement until I see how they develop. But I can honestly say Nick Ross has disappointed me after a terrific start to his time at App. I thought he struggled mightily today.
The Appalachian State

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:22 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:04 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:02 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:34 pm
diehardapp18 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:50 pm
Of course, we should have won that game and I’m over the “it’s great to be a Mountaineer!” facade. My thing is that all these frustrations should be pointed towards Jones. He’s a huge hindrance to the program at this point.
Buy out his contract and replace him. Pardon the sarcasm.
No sarcasm from me, dale isn’t the answer. Embarrassing defense two games in a row.
If he gets fired, are you going to apply for his job?
I won’t but I’m sure there’s someone that won’t get us 60 pieced two games in a row.

Sunshine pumping dale is not good for this team. Stop

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:44 pm

Don't understand why some of you are still bitching about a nothing bowl game last season
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:48 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:44 pm
Don't understand why some of you are still bitching about a nothing bowl game last season
Not sure why you would take a bullet for a coach that has had 15 points a quarter dropped on his head.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:49 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Because App State showed up and played in it. Then got our pants pulled down and spanked our bare asses! Boat raced. Total embarrassment just like the defensive effort. We should not give that many up to Tom Brady. Def coordinator had his ass sandpapered today. Changes (not staff) must occur to salvage season

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:09 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:18 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:05 pm
I was worried about our defense the entire off season, and it seems it was justified. We lost 6 of our top 7 tacklers and more importantly, we lost our defensive ends. I didn't see us get any pressure from our d ends the enitre game, our linebackers are awesome but can only do so much. And our DL line coach is really good, we just seem to lack playmakers at that position. I am concerned with Clark's big game record, but I find no fault in him going for 2 at the end of the game. In fact, I was very pleased with the aggressive call and in some ways it actually took some of the sting out of the loss. We laid an egg for the vast majority of the 2nd and all of the 3rd, but were able to come back and make a game of it. We have an offense, we just need to find a defense.
Agree. We have lost a lot defensively and I reserve judgement until I see how they develop. But I can honestly say Nick Ross has disappointed me after a terrific start to his time at App. I thought he struggled mightily today.
Agreed here. Safety play was one of 3 major concerns for me and is still the biggest one. I expected more of Ross and I think Clarke just looked a step slow. We are missing Huff for sure. I wonder what caused Dawson to fall behind some names that I expected him to be in front of? Is DJ Burks looking good? It is early and I only think we will see WRs like what UNC has next week and then we should look better but I expected to have P5 speed at safety and right now we don't.

On a good note, it is clear that Nick Hampton will continue to get buzz. He is the main attraction to NFL directors coming through this fall and he impressed the Senior Bowl scout at our game today. Look for him to get all the same invites that Jackson got and I think he will be our best pro LB since Coakley. He absolutely dominated the UNC OT at times.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:25 pm

The bowl games matter, to say it’s ok to perform poorly any time you put on the black and gold shows a lack of understanding the culture.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:27 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:06 pm
Will it ever be okay to ask about coaching?
NO

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:29 pm

App91 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:49 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Because App State showed up and played in it. Then got our pants pulled down and spanked our bare asses! Boat raced. Total embarrassment just like the defensive effort. We should not give that many up to Tom Brady. Def coordinator had his ass sandpapered today. Changes (not staff) must occur to salvage season
You know me my friend, I go out to win anything I do. Last year's bowl had no pazzaz to it. It was completely anticlimactic and the team played that way. Plus the QB was the nation's leading passer . Doubt we will see anyone as good as maye this year. Yes the pass defense needs to get much better. And I believe they will
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:37 pm

There are some people on this board who need a serious reality check. And there are some people on this board who might be too stupid to function. How you watched today’s game and said “someone needs to lose his job” instead of “that was one of the most memorable games I’ve ever watched” is completely beyond me.

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:01 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:37 pm
There are some people on this board who need a serious reality check. And there are some people on this board who might be too stupid to function. How you watched today’s game and said “someone needs to lose his job” instead of “that was one of the most memorable games I’ve ever watched” is completely beyond me.
So you don’t care if we lose all the OOC games as long as it’s a memorable one? Spicy...

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:45 pm

Just my opinion, Mayr may be the best QB we see all season. He does not make bad decisions in terms of ball placement and will throw it away to live for another day. Does it mean we do not have issues on D, No....but we are going on D.
Not sure where the 2-8 numbers represent. Personally, I see 4 wins...CCU and Marshall last year and 2 bowl wins as interim coach...
We have a great O. Hopefully, we have a D that catches up.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

teller

Unread post by teller » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:55 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:29 pm
Offensive coordinator and play calling fantastic. Defense needs work. Gave up wide ass open throws
Yeah up until we went up by 14, then vanilla, then back to aggressive and scoring.

Same sh*t different year, we all saw how potent we can be towards beginning and end of game, can’t go vanilla ice in between and expect much success.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:29 am

We had more first downs, more passing, rushing and obviously total yards, we possessed the ball more and had fewer penalties. We had a 14 point lead. And we lost. We lost at home in front of a great crowd. We lost. They didn't beat us. We lost.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:07 am

I will reserve judgement of this year when the season is over.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:39 am

TheAppalachianState wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:01 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:37 pm
So you don’t care if we lose all the OOC games as long as it’s a memorable one? Spicy...
I didn’t say that. App’s OOC record under Clark, by my count, is 7-3 including bowl games. IF we lost every OOC game, there would need to be changes. IF we continue to give up 60 some points a game, there will need to be changes. But what if we go 10-2 with a loss next week? What if we don’t give up more than 30 points in a single game for the rest of the season? What if yesterday was a wake up call and the defense steps up and locks down for the rest of the year?

It’s asinine to say someone needs to lose their job because the last game last season and the first game this season were tough losses.

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:54 am

These posts are why I love coming to this board…..after 1 game…..1.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:58 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
That makes two of us who don't understand that, WVAPPeer.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”