McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Turf V Grass

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:47 am

NewApp wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:03 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:13 am
There are some environmental positives from less water usage and less chemicals on the ground but there is a huge environmental impact from disposal of the turf material after it is removed. Disposal impacts should not trump safety but disposal is a point that should be considered.
It may be ground up and recycled. It's basically plastic.
Being plastic is the problem. It is not being recycled.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... ix/603874/

https://peer.org/artificial-turfs-big-l ... -recycled/
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:59 am

appdaze wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:22 pm
NewApp wrote:
There are some environmental positives from less water usage and less chemicals on the ground but there is a huge environmental impact from disposal of the turf material after it is removed. Disposal impacts should not trump safety but disposal is a point that should be considered.
Almost no plastic is actually recycled at this point.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/24/11311310 ... ting-worse
I saw that article a week or so ago when it came out. It really is alarming how much we have been duped into thinking we are recycling. My family and I have been avid recyclers for at least 20 years, and thought we were doing our part. Now it seems we are just sorting garbage for the landfill.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:58 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:59 am
appdaze wrote:
NewApp wrote:

I saw that article a week or so ago when it came out. It really is alarming how much we have been duped into thinking we are recycling. My family and I have been avid recyclers for at least 20 years, and thought we were doing our part. Now it seems we are just sorting garbage for the landfill.
I have been saying this for years with no proof. Plastic water bottles are a horrible invention for many reasons. Water out of tap with a filter is how the world should operate with fluoride. Someone found a way to make money on water purity scams and recycling. My kids and I fight constantly over plastic bottled water...what a hoax on society.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:59 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Our area quit recycling glass several years ago. I hate to see what is going to happen with all of the batteries from the electric vehicles.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:05 pm

appbanker wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:59 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Our area quit recycling glass several years ago. I hate to see what is going to happen with all of the batteries from the electric vehicles.
I’ve had the battery convo with several people. You trade one bad (emissions and oil consumption) for another (everything related to mining the chemicals needed for batteries and the disposal of the batteries themselves). Your ev isn’t as green as you think…
Give 'em hell!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:13 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:05 pm
appbanker wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
I’ve had the battery convo with several people. You trade one bad (emissions and oil consumption) for another (everything related to mining the chemicals needed for batteries and the disposal of the batteries themselves). Your ev isn’t as green as you think…
Only reason to buy an EV is for the performance. They'll smoke.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:35 pm

Turf vs natural grass
Obviously every AD since Conrad Stadium days have compared grass to turf cost and safety and we have turf. Nuff said.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:06 pm

t4pizza wrote:
appdaze wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Thanks for trying at least. Some was recycled. We do have to get off plastic and remember the last R is recycle and comes after reduce and reuse.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:08 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:05 pm
appbanker wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
They are greener than an ICE, though there is environmental problems for certain. But from what I read still enough better than we need to move in that direction as quickly as possible.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:10 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:35 pm
Turf vs natural grass
Obviously every AD since Conrad Stadium days have compared grass to turf cost and safety and we have turf. Nuff said.
FTFY:
Obviously every AD since Conrad Stadium days have compared grass to turf cost

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:26 am

You don't think they have compared injuries. When I was trainer, we had two football players in game suffer broken legs. One in two places at Piedmont High School. Stepped in little holes in the grass turf.
Google SUX

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:39 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:26 am
You don't think they have compared injuries. When I was trainer, we had two football players in game suffer broken legs. One in two places at Piedmont High School. Stepped in little holes in the grass turf.
Man that must have really been crazy. One guy suffered a broken leg at one place then another broken leg at another in the same day?

One in two places at Piedmont HS.

OldAppPlayer

Unread post by OldAppPlayer » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:13 am

NewApp wrote:
Do you really think an FBS school with grass turf is going to have holes where players can break their legs from stepping in them? That said there’s no way in hell App will switch to natural grass, it’s just not feasible. You can break your ankle stepping off the bus.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:48 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:39 am
NewApp wrote:
Man that must have really been crazy. One guy suffered a broken leg at one place then another broken leg at another in the same day?

One in two places at Piedmont HS.

Two places on one leg. Two breaks.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:51 am

OldAppPlayer wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:13 am
NewApp wrote:
Do you really think an FBS school with grass turf is going to have holes where players can break their legs from stepping in them? That said there’s no way in hell App will switch to natural grass, it’s just not feasible. You can break your ankle stepping off the bus.
Ya never know.
Google SUX

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:08 pm

OldAppPlayer wrote:
NewApp wrote:
And you can spontaneously combust typing a message. The what about blank argument is just silly. This is always about damage mitigation and prevention. If I told you one car had a 30% greater chance of crashing than the other you would buy the safer one. We don't have one at this point because money matters more than safety. We aren't alone in that as you can see from the stats. They aren't the only industry that takes that approach

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:57 am

OldAppPlayer wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Yes. Doesn't take much of a dip.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”