Re: UNC game discussion

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:15 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:21 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:12 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:07 pm
The biggest advantage UNCCH has it this being their second game. The rust will be off and the timing from their OL will be worked out.

As usual is early games the outcome will be heavily influenced by penalty yards and turnovers. Win both of those and we'll have a shot to win in the fourth quarter.

I bet we spot them a 7-10 point lead after the 1st quarter.
The counterpoint to this is that there will be game film on them from Week 1.
That playbook book will make Byers vanilla look exotic. We know their base scheme, I’d trade places and we knock our rust off and show them we run a 3-4 of defense and run inside zone blocking.
I agree. I wish we both had Week 0 games. It would be nice to go into the game on even terms. However, one good thing about not having a Week 0, is that we won't accumulate any hits or in-game injuries.

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:23 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:10 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:22 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:59 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:05 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:00 pm
What do you think we'll see on tape vs. Florida A&M? They are going to work on timing and run base plays. I'd love for the Rattlers to press them and make them show more, I just don't see it.
What do you think they can work on against A&M that translates to playing us? I don’t think that FAMU can replicate the size and speed that Hampton, McLeod and Parker are going to show. Hampton has been virtually unblockable this camp and he is up to 240 lbs. The clock will definitely speed up for Maye in week 2.

What we show them will be far more beneficial to them when they play Notre Dame than they will get from FAMU that will help against us.
Simple things, like no false starts, timing of receivers in game action. These shouldn't be undervalued. Coaches will tell you team improve the most game 1 to game 2.

I've answered your question, no deflection.
To each his own.
Would love to ask Coach Clark which position he’d prefer. You seem to be tied in, let us know his thoughts.
Why are you stuck on this? All I said was to each his own and you keep coming back at me. What are you trying to prove? You made your point. I made mine. You didn’t like mine so you doubled down. I don’t care what your thoughts on the matter are. It’s irrelevant since it isn’t an option.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:36 pm

This Carolina team is going to be much better than what we played at Chapel Hill. Is our team better than the team we fielded then? IMO overall...NO!

The Heels are coming in with something no one is imagining....get ready.....it could be Miami all over again.
KICK ASS!!!

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:37 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:09 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:03 am
RiversRunsThroughIt wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:52 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:17 am
KingStLocal wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:41 pm
If we are able to run consistently, we can absolutely beat them. They will stack the box and force us to throw to our new receivers.
I imagine with their soft defense, we will still be successful running the ball when they stack the box.

They will be drastically improved on defense. Make no mistake, this will literally be a completely different UNC D than anyone may remember from last year. It’s just unproven. Gene Chizik returns for his second stint at UNC. In 2015 at UNC he completely turned the D around and they were, essentially, a bad onside kick call away from playing in the CFB playoff. The roster he inherits this go around is vastly more talented than his last go around. There may only be 2-3 3* kids in the entire DL room. Everyone else on the 4 man front is HIGHLY rated. Up front they are massive and athletic and the 2nd stringers are just as talented as the ones. The linebackers return plenty of talent but the secondary may be in for a true coming out party this year. Tony Grimes is a former #1 overall CB out of HS that graduated a year early. This will be his third season but he should really be a sophomore. Storm Duck is talented but hasn’t been healthy. He has laid low in camp in prep for the season. The two safeties bring a ton of experience as seniors.

I worry that their secondary could completely erase anyone we could put out there at receiver. They are that talented and combined with the new Chizik scheme which has emphasized simplicity (see ball, get ball), it could be tough going through the air. On the ground the UNC DL is capable of throwing fresh body after body into the game without skipping a beat talent wise. If our new OC isn’t clever and Brice doesn’t get the ball out quick, it could be trouble. The UNC D is over qualified to take on our offense. Personally, I think our D, ST, and the loudest environment ever at KBS will be the difference maker. App by 6
How can you pick App after sounding like you are UNC’s sports information director?
I was thrown by that as well. GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!!!
😂😂😂
Watched a lot of ACCN this summer. Lots of RDU sports radio. I live in the triangle so I hear about it a lot. I still think the atmosphere will be shocking to some of the UNC players in important positions. Just like I thought UNC was in for it at VT last year. A year of no fans going into that one. This will be tough for Drake Maye or the other guy. They are down a starting WR and RB. FAMU at home is one thing. On the road in one of the greatest football atmospheres on the planet is another ball game entirely. App under Clark and for the last 7-8 has generally been sound in nearly every phase. UNC has struggled mightily on ST the past few years. Packer said they were on their third coach I think?? That may be the difference!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:02 pm

CornCobPipes wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:36 pm
This Carolina team is going to be much better than what we played at Chapel Hill. Is our team better than the team we fielded then? IMO overall...NO!

The Heels are coming in with something no one is imagining....get ready.....it could be Miami all over again.
I hope you didn’t waste your hard earned money on a ticket

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:07 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:23 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

What do you think they can work on against A&M that translates to playing us? I don’t think that FAMU can replicate the size and speed that Hampton, McLeod and Parker are going to show. Hampton has been virtually unblockable this camp and he is up to 240 lbs. The clock will definitely speed up for Maye in week 2.

What we show them will be far more beneficial to them when they play Notre Dame than they will get from FAMU that will help against us.
Simple things, like no false starts, timing of receivers in game action. These shouldn't be undervalued. Coaches will tell you team improve the most game 1 to game 2.

To each his own.
Would love to ask Coach Clark which position he’d prefer. You seem to be tied in, let us know his thoughts.
Why are you stuck on this? All I said was to each his own and you keep coming back at me. What are you trying to prove? You made your point. I made mine. You didn’t like mine so you doubled down. I don’t care what your thoughts on the matter are. It’s irrelevant since it isn’t an option.
I relate to " all I said was to each his own"
:D
;)

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:17 pm

The week 0 game for UNC will give us film on Chiziks defense. Sure, I'm sure it'll just be base and not many packages, but it's a complete overhaul of schemes. That is important to have some knowledge of going in to the game.

Likewise, Chizik won't have any film on our new offense. Sure, it's going to be largely the same as previous years and they can look at Barbay's past games as OC, but Barbay has weapons he didn't have before and there will be some wrinkles.

If timing is an issue in the first game that is worn off by playing a week 0 game, they didn't stand a chance to begin with. Timing should never be an issue with a well coached team.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:23 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:23 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

To each his own.
Seems we’re both stuck on this to me.

I appreciate your silver lining and finding a positive in the advantage they will have playing a game before us.

Every coach given the choice would play a game and sacrifice the film vs not. Would be a great question for Clark on the coaches show was my prior point, nothing more.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:02 pm
CornCobPipes wrote:

I'm craving some crow pie
KICK ASS!!!

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:28 pm

I find it telling that as far as I've seen not a single UNC fans has ventured forth into the wilds of the MMB. Are you not entertained? I am.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:29 pm

I don’t know, I think UNC playing a game ahead just will show us how bad UNC sucks again after unwarranted hype.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 pm

CornCobPipes wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:02 pm
CornCobPipes wrote:

I'm craving some crow pie
Man, I don’t know, I think this UNC team is significantly worse and we are better than the team that already beat them.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:49 pm

I’d love for this team to be better than the 2019 version, but that is tall task. Getting pumped with that prospect, trying to temper my emotions though!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:53 pm

I believe we will skull drag and road grade them to the tune of Bombs over Baghdad

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:20 am

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:24 am

Watched most of the first game (first half) we played against them. We obviously dominated. I had to mostly listen to the second half of that one on the radio. If I recall we mostly just held on and had too many key guys leave the field with bumps and bruises. Depth difference was the key. They could trot out more number 2's and 3's who could make plays. Hopefully we have the depth to weather injuries if they occur. We definitely can't afford to lose a key offensive lineman and have to substitute much.

Went to the SC game that year. IMO it was more of the same but we also went way too conservative and seemed to be wanting the clock to just run out. We clearly had the better squad in Columbia that night but still had to hang on and needed a penalty at the end.

We will definitely have an intimidating venue and we need to keep emotions in check. Those dumb 15 yard personal fouls will kill us. Play assignment football and swarm tackle. They will bring pressure for sure so we can't sit in the pocket and wait for guys to get open.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:49 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:24 am
Watched most of the first game (first half) we played against them. We obviously dominated. I had to mostly listen to the second half of that one on the radio. If I recall we mostly just held on and had too many key guys leave the field with bumps and bruises. Depth difference was the key. They could trot out more number 2's and 3's who could make plays. Hopefully we have the depth to weather injuries if they occur. We definitely can't afford to lose a key offensive lineman and have to substitute much.

Went to the SC game that year. IMO it was more of the same but we also went way too conservative and seemed to be wanting the clock to just run out. We clearly had the better squad in Columbia that night but still had to hang on and needed a penalty at the end.

We will definitely have an intimidating venue and we need to keep emotions in check. Those dumb 15 yard personal fouls will kill us. Play assignment football and swarm tackle. They will bring pressure for sure so we can't sit in the pocket and wait for guys to get open.
I also rewatched both of those recently. I agree, we absolutely CANNOT have personal foul penalties. This game will be hard enough without shooting ourselves in the foot.

We also cannot go to the vanilla play calling with a lead. It's almost like we don't trust our guys to not turn the ball over, hopefully we've worked through those issues this offseason.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:00 am

The vanilla play calling with a lead was a Drink special, almost cost us the South Carolina game as well.

I understand not being aggressive, but you need to call plays that give the team an opportunity to get first downs.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:13 am

The folks in Vegas are more often right than wrong, and they have Carolina as a 2 point favorite, which is basically a toss up.
Sure, UNC's got all kinds of stars next to their recruits, but "Mr. Football" has almost always underperformed when having loads of talent.
I don't care who they send out there, Carolina ain't got that dawg in 'em.
Mountaineers by 10.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:25 am

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:13 am
The folks in Vegas are more often right than wrong, and they have Carolina as a 2 point favorite, which is basically a toss up.
Sure, UNC's got all kinds of stars next to their recruits, but "Mr. Football" has almost always underperformed when having loads of talent.
I don't care who they send out there, Carolina ain't got that dawg in 'em.
Mountaineers by 10.
After the outcomes of several important games last year and some of the decision making leading to those outcomes, I'd thought the Holes would have been favored by 10?
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”