Re: I want to know

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:29 am

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:39 am
TheAppalachianState wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:01 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:37 pm
There are some people on this board who need a serious reality check. And there are some people on this board who might be too stupid to function. How you watched today’s game and said “someone needs to lose his job” instead of “that was one of the most memorable games I’ve ever watched” is completely beyond me.
So you don’t care if we lose all the OOC games as long as it’s a memorable one? Spicy...
I didn’t say that. App’s OOC record under Clark, by my count, is 7-3 including bowl games. IF we lost every OOC game, there would need to be changes. IF we continue to give up 60 some points a game, there will need to be changes. But what if we go 10-2 with a loss next week? What if we don’t give up more than 30 points in a single game for the rest of the season? What if yesterday was a wake up call and the defense steps up and locks down for the rest of the year?

It’s asinine to say someone needs to lose their job because the last game last season and the first game this season were tough losses.
I’m going to tell my boss to chillax and if I end up making the company potentially more money later, who cares if I’m losing money right now, because what if.

I wouldn’t say firing him right now would be smart either, we are going to see how the year plays out regardless. HOWEVER, what I am saying, is if you want to be a champion team and continue growth, you have to have the team ready and NOT giving up 60, back to back games just makes it worse and we haven’t even gotten to A&M yet. Complacency leads to irrelevancy, if you’re okay with a few losses a year, great, most of us want to see perfection, it’s an expectation at this point.

Hope I’m wrong and he kills it all year and our defense gives up 0 points ever again. Do I think I’ll be wrong? No.

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:44 am

I started this. I am not calling for anyone to be fired. Personally, I'm not sure we are improving as a program at the same pace the SB is improving. I think some of you unwilling to ask questions. The goalposts constantly move. OCC games don't matter. Bowl games are irrelevant. Of course this losing streak did start with us being dominated in the CCG. A few years ago were were ranked or an the verge of being ranked. I wonder when we'll come close to say 100 points in the polls.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:00 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:44 am
I started this. I am not calling for anyone to be fired. Personally, I'm not sure we are improving as a program at the same pace the SB is improving. I think some of you unwilling to ask questions. The goalposts constantly move. OCC games don't matter. Bowl games are irrelevant. Of course this losing streak did start with us being dominated in the CCG. A few years ago were were ranked or an the verge of being ranked. I wonder when we'll come close to say 100 points in the polls.
I was there yesterday and the program is in shambles. Give me a break. It’s takes like this that are especially aggravating. But you have a habit of piling on when we lose.
What goalposts are you even talking about? I understand your entire appreciation of App comes down to us being ranked. And yes we did just lose to Carolina in week one by 2 points so we probably won’t be ranked next week.I can clearly see the sky falling and the program imploding. Were I you I’d spare myself the embarrassment and not watch another game……until we are ranked and it’s safe to do so.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:05 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:00 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
I was there yesterday and the program is in shambles. Give me a break. It’s takes like this that are especially aggravating. But you have a habit of piling on when we lose.
What goalposts are you even talking about? I understand your entire appreciation of App comes down to us being ranked. And yes we did just lose to Carolina in week one by 2 points so we probably won’t be ranked next week.I can clearly see the sky falling and the program imploding. Were I you I’d spare myself the embarrassment and not watch another game……until we are ranked and it’s safe to do so.
I didn't shambles. What I actually said is I'm concerned the conference is improving at a faster rate than we are.

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:07 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Not improving as a program? Did you see how any people were there yesterday? If we were declining as a program, then I don’t know what to say. We were part of the reason the conference has improved. We have made the conference better because teams got tired of us whooping them. I was at App during the AE years and as nice as it was blowing people out, that isn’t something that is going to happen every game like some of our fans expect. This program continues to get better and I was proud of them yesterday because these kids didn’t stop fighting. Coaching will improve or people lose jobs.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:10 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:05 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:00 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
I didn't shambles. What I actually said is I'm concerned the conference is improving at a faster rate than we are.
Based on what? You literally have zero evidence of that at the current moment. Coastal struggled to beat Army. JMU beat mtsu. Marshall rolled their fcs opponent. Old dominion beat tek which was amazing and we were a hair from beating UNC. Again you make no sense

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:41 am

Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:29 am
MrCraig wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:39 am
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:01 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:37 pm
There are some people on this board who need a serious reality check. And there are some people on this board who might be too stupid to function. How you watched today’s game and said “someone needs to lose his job” instead of “that was one of the most memorable games I’ve ever watched” is completely beyond me.
So you don’t care if we lose all the OOC games as long as it’s a memorable one? Spicy...
I didn’t say that. App’s OOC record under Clark, by my count, is 7-3 including bowl games. IF we lost every OOC game, there would need to be changes. IF we continue to give up 60 some points a game, there will need to be changes. But what if we go 10-2 with a loss next week? What if we don’t give up more than 30 points in a single game for the rest of the season? What if yesterday was a wake up call and the defense steps up and locks down for the rest of the year?

It’s asinine to say someone needs to lose their job because the last game last season and the first game this season were tough losses.
I’m going to tell my boss to chillax and if I end up making the company potentially more money later, who cares if I’m losing money right now, because what if.

I wouldn’t say firing him right now would be smart either, we are going to see how the year plays out regardless. HOWEVER, what I am saying, is if you want to be a champion team and continue growth, you have to have the team ready and NOT giving up 60, back to back games just makes it worse and we haven’t even gotten to A&M yet. Complacency leads to irrelevancy, if you’re okay with a few losses a year, great, most of us want to see perfection, it’s an expectation at this point.

Hope I’m wrong and he kills it all year and our defense gives up 0 points ever again. Do I think I’ll be wrong? No.
Expecting perfection is impossible. Like I said in another post, if that’s your expectation, you need a reality check. Based on wins and losses, App is one of the best programs in the country over the last decade. 90% of college football would be over-the-moon to be as good as App. We will have some years better than others, but if you don’t think this year’s team is a marked improvement over the team we had say 6-7 years ago, you need to get some things together.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:57 am

I use to think our fan base was a little different. Special. Not anymore. Too many react to a single play, then a single game like it is an entire season. Some think we are Alabama and expect 12-0 each year. Reading this stuff I’d think some fans here think Saban would leave Alabama and knock the door down to get here. Now everybody is a coach but if you have them a group of kids and told them to defend one play they’d stutter til the cows come home.
Thank God for those who are sane.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:12 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:25 pm
The bowl games matter, to say it’s ok to perform poorly any time you put on the black and gold shows a lack of understanding the culture.
One thing I absolutely don't need your opinion on - Coaching!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:19 am

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:57 am
I use to think our fan base was a little different. Special. Not anymore. Too many react to a single play, then a single game like it is an entire season. Some think we are Alabama and expect 12-0 each year. Reading this stuff I’d think some fans here think Saban would leave Alabama and knock the door down to get here. Now everybody is a coach but if you have them a group of kids and told them to defend one play they’d stutter til the cows come home.
Thank God for those who are sane.
We are chasing the dragon now. Expect the fan base to get crazier and crazier.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:20 am

I've said this before. We have a segment of our fan base that will lose their minds if we go 7-5. A few years ago there was an expression used repeatedly especially for Drink- "handed the keys to the Ferrari" (or whatever the car was. Some folks act like our opponents don't compete, recruit, practice, etc as much as we do. They analyze our roster and think we are more loaded than we probably really are. They expect coordinators to out coach the other guys every play of every game. Sometimes we call a play and the defense changes and it doesn't work. We hit some big plays yesterday that probably should have been stopped but they weren't. I hope we go 11-1 now but even with a strong roster it might not happen. We simply are not Georgia who loses 16 dudes to the NFL (5 or so defensive players in the first round) and simply reloads and whips a good Oregon team.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:36 am

I have been expecting 8-4 maybe 7-5 this year. We lost a ton of talent on defense but even with the points yesterday I don't feel as bad. Offense was way better than i expected. 8-10 wins is doable in my observation.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:44 am

Yosefus wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:36 am
I have been expecting 8-4 maybe 7-5 this year. We lost a ton of talent on defense but even with the points yesterday I don't feel as bad. Offense was way better than i expected. 8-10 wins is doable in my observation.
I was thinking 8-4 like you but I could see 9-3 now. After A&M we won't see an offense as good as what we saw yesterday. We do have to get better in the secondary though. The safeties got torched and I wondered why UNC was actually calling run plays at all in the second half instead of letting Maye do draw read type plays. When we kept LBs around to prevent it he just picked our safeties apart and when we dropped to help cover them he just tucked it and ran. Safety play definitely has to get a lot better.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:45 am

My opinion...the two out of conference P5 teams we are playing this year are better than 2019..UNC is better at QB, WR, RB and overall athletes on defense. Howell was a true freshman. My personal opinion is that Maye is better than Howell aland he is just a RS Freshman. Howell had tendencies to hold ball too long. Fedora was not getting the high level recruits by end of tenure. Personally feel like we are making great strides. We knew there would be significant changes at WR and areas on defense. Chase and the WRs did very well for first game as the new unit.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:59 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:45 am
My opinion...the two out of conference P5 teams we are playing this year are better than 2019..UNC is better at QB, WR, RB and overall athletes on defense. Howell was a true freshman. My personal opinion is that Maye is better than Howell aland he is just a RS Freshman. Howell had tendencies to hold ball too long. Fedora was not getting the high level recruits by end of tenure. Personally feel like we are making great strides. We knew there would be significant changes at WR and areas on defense. Chase and the WRs did very well for first game as the new unit.
100% with you here. UNC and A&M in 2022 are way better than SC and UNC in 2019. Had those two teams actually been 7-8 win caliber teams that year they both beat us. We are talented but UNC was a little more talented than we were for sure. I know some here won't want to admit that but they were. Maye is a stud.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:02 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
In golf, it’s easier to go from a 15 handicap to a 7 than it is to go from a 3 to a 1.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:21 am

I know how we all feel about the recruiting rankings and how many stars someone has - but what you can't overlook is that in the last 2 recruiting periods UNC had the 12th and 10th ranked classes - even if some of those are overrated the majority are not ---
We put 62 points on a defense of highly ranked players coached by who some think is the best defensive mind since Belichek ---
I hate UNC and everything about them and that is what makes me, and I'm sure some of you, take this even harder than if it were any other P5 team.
Our Guys will have a very good season!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:39 am

The success of the program has set the bar high. For some, maybe even out of reach.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:49 am

We've played one game, UNC two. We don't know how either team's season will unfold at this point. We could very well have a great season and I'll be watching Saturday with great interest to see what we do against purportedly a better team than the one that just scored 63 points. I doubt the A&M QB will be as good as Maye but then again he might not need to be if his defense is better than the one we just faced. It may take time for our guys to develop at DE and in the secondary before we recognize this App D as we did those in the past.

There certainly isn't reason to burn down any buildings or jump off bridges but by the same token we can't just pretend everything is honky dory on defense. We have been reminded of how folks reacted initially to Ted Roof's first games but must take some faith in how things were righted as the season progressed. Given the "never die spirit" displayed yesterday there is hope that that kind of character will prevail.
Last edited by hapapp on Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:57 am

Our

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”