Recruiting, 2013

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Re: Recruiting, 2013

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:35 pm

crabbyterrier wrote:firemoose,
here is a link to football site with 18 signed so far with an expected 25 total. http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2013/ ... h=football

this does not include walk-ons. the quality is definitely there, probably one of the best classes ever.

i think the quality has been good enough... the last couple of years. ;)

have a good signing day celebration. i know we will!

GO TERRIERS!!!
Bully for you. Wonder what it says for your program if you have to sign basically 43% of your scholarships in one class. You graduated 20 seniors and not all of them on scholarship. Means you lost a few underclassmen also. Well, no worries. All is well I guess. We'll let the play decide if our 17 are better than your 27, for one year at least. And BTW Coach Woody says Hi. ;)

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm

hapapp wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
firemoose wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:What's the difference between preferred walk-on and plain walk-on? Potential scholarship? Guarantee of making team if you come to school?
A preferred walk-on is just first in line should a scholarship open up. Doesn't mean they will get it but they are at the top of the list. They are also in line for a partial, as long as we are FCS. But really any walk-on can play their way into a scholarship if they are good enough or fill a critical need.
Hopefully it takes more than blocking a kick for a walkon to get a scholly now.
Kind of a cheap shot there. Let's remember these are people we are talking about.
Think it's more of an shot at the former HC than the player.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:38 pm

hapapp wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
firemoose wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:What's the difference between preferred walk-on and plain walk-on? Potential scholarship? Guarantee of making team if you come to school?
A preferred walk-on is just first in line should a scholarship open up. Doesn't mean they will get it but they are at the top of the list. They are also in line for a partial, as long as we are FCS. But really any walk-on can play their way into a scholarship if they are good enough or fill a critical need.
Hopefully it takes more than blocking a kick for a walkon to get a scholly now.
Kind of a cheap shot there. Let's remember these are people we are talking about.
Yeah specifically they are teenage boys. I find the fanatical fascination with these kids repulsive. Sorry. It has become a meat market. 2 star, 3 star 10 star, who cares. It's not as if these rankings tell much of anything about how they will pan out.
Last edited by fjblair on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:34 pm

78 and Moose, Thanks so much you are both to be commended for the effort and detail you put into this Thread. It is a testament to APPSTATE that we have a recruitment thread that basically stayed true to the title for nearly 800 posts.

Thanks again!
Go APPS!

AppRy

Unread post by AppRy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks 78 and fire moose. This thread was my first stop most days. Great job.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 pm

asutrnr81 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:
asutrnr81 wrote:At this point, most of the reasons kids have not committed that are great this and great that and WSOZ and WBTY POY are because they do not qualify!

...and the "feeling" I get out of Boone is that we are NOT taking a chance on anyone like that!

...and I agree!
How can you make a reckless presumption about situations you know nothing about?
If you only knew as much as you think you know.....I make the above "reckless" presumptions after spending about 35 years talking with coaches and recruiters....watching kids get on boards, and fall off. At this point in the recruiting trail most everyone has gotten their last ACT/SAT Score and the first semester GPA's are out. Numbers talk and if things do not add up kids are all the time coming up that did not enter the fray from weeks and months before and people fall to "lower" "tier" programs to D-2 and D-3 and NAIA and CC programs because they did not qualify or partially qualify.

I restated the point to firemoose and could have stated it from the start now.....BUT...I do know from what I am talking....I wish you knew me better, because then when you call me out I would treat it with some credibility.
Here is some credibility you can chew on. Devan Robbins of South Point signed with The Citadel so he was very much qualified. A poster on AGS said the SP head coach told him Devan was short a specific core course or he would have signed with Ga Tech. Guess I know a little more and you a little less than you think. But, your ego probably won't allow you to admit it. FYI, I'm no newbie. Been around this recruiting stuff quite a while. Like you said, "if you only knew me better".
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Youngbucky99

Unread post by Youngbucky99 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 pm

Ive been looking at this thread for a while, and I can say you all have done a good job! Information accurate, and opinions detailed. This is a strong class we have coming in! From top to bottom! Ive actually seen Dante Jones at some nike combine thing, the kid was ungaurdable and I actually saw some video on youtube of him this summer! After watching Lambs highlights! Our air attack wont skip a beat after Jackson Washington and Peacock graduate...

Jones summer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWkroOGrnuE

Lambs highlights:
Last edited by Youngbucky99 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:45 am

Per Twitter P/K Manning Burton (6-2, 160) of Shelby High School in Shelby, NC has committed to walk on at App. Good to have some competition going to replace Sam or at least try to. Hard task to do.

DanOrnerKicking‏@DanOrnerKicking
congrats to long time DOKP studen Manning Burton with his commitment to Appalachian State pic.twitter.com/7q1QJWDD

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:47 am

firemoose wrote:Per Twitter P/K Manning Burton (6-2, 160) of Shelby High School in Shelby, NC has committed to walk on at App. Good to have some competition going to replace Sam or at least try to. Hard task to do.

DanOrnerKicking‏@DanOrnerKicking
congrats to long time DOKP studen Manning Burton with his commitment to Appalachian State pic.twitter.com/7q1QJWDD
Hopinh RS freshman Zack Matics, a scholarship guy from last year's class, can get the job done. That being said you can never have too many kickers. Just ask Ga Southern!

Impressive aspect of this class is the signees held 45 offers from FBS schools (counting Charlotte & ODU).

George Washington

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am

OUTSTANDING WORK BY APPGRAD78 AND my friend FIREMOOSE!!! - YOUR EFFORTS ARE APPRECIATED!!! ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Walk-on TJ Watkins talks about joining Appalachian State:

http://www.thedigitalcourier.com/x17331 ... -App-State

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:23 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:Walk-on TJ Watkins talks about joining Appalachian State:

http://www.thedigitalcourier.com/x17331 ... -App-State
Good to see he has confidence in his player, but the head coach needs to attend a practice or two in Boone.

George Washington

crabbyterrier
School: Wofford

Unread post by crabbyterrier » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:44 pm

firemoose wrote:
here is a link to football site with 18 signed so far with an expected 25 total. http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2013/ ... h=football

this does not include walk-ons. the quality is definitely there, probably one of the best classes ever.

GO TERRIERS!!!
Bully for you. Wonder what it says for your program if you have to sign basically 43% of your scholarships in one class. You graduated 20 seniors and not all of them on scholarship. Means you lost a few underclassmen also. Well, no worries. All is well I guess. We'll let the play decide if our 17 are better than your 27, for one year at least. And BTW Coach Woody says Hi. ;)
doesn't say anything bad about our program. our program is just fine and one of the best in the country. not all of the recruits will have full scholarships. some are and will be on academic scholarships as well. some have partial football and partial academic. don't know of any under classman losses.

coach woody is a great coach and did a great job for us. good get for you guys. certainly wish him well, just not against us. wish he had not gone to in conference school but so be it. we'll be just fine without him. 8-) change will do us good. looking forward to having you in gibbs this year. i enjoyed my visit to kidd-brewer last year. :D

good luck with spring practice!

GO TERRIERS!!!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:12 pm

crabbyterrier wrote:
firemoose wrote:

GO TERRIERS!!!
doesn't say anything bad about our program. our program is just fine and one of the best in the country. not all of the recruits will have full scholarships. some are and will be on academic scholarships as well. some have partial football and partial academic. don't know of any under classman losses.

coach woody is a great coach and did a great job for us. good get for you guys. certainly wish him well, just not against us. wish he had not gone to in conference school but so be it. we'll be just fine without him. 8-) change will do us good. looking forward to having you in gibbs this year. i enjoyed my visit to kidd-brewer last year. :D

good luck with spring practice!

GO TERRIERS!!!
Good luck to you. Just not against us. ;) The OP was just wondering how you could bring in nearly 45% of your full football scholarships in one class. The comment about what it says about your program was a reference to that. I'll retract that since I didn't have complete information then but you answered the question with the partials and academic schollies. We are comparing apples to oranges here since our signees that were posted were all full football scholarships. If we include those who will or might get partials (as long as we're FCS), academic, or additional full rides if we move up then the number goes up. We just didn't put them on our NLI page. We're fine with just listing those we signed to full rides. Don't need to add any more, although a listing of the preferred walk-ons and those with other types of scholarships will be released one day.

We'll see you in the Burg this fall. Could be the last time at The Beacon for many (but not me since half of my family is from Blacksburg and Spartanburg). Good luck with the rest of your year. :D

ALWAYS ATTACK!!

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:09 pm

AppRy wrote:Thanks 78 and fire moose. This thread was my first stop most days. Great job.
I echo this post. I look forward to reading this thread every night after work!
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

ELCubano1

Unread post by ELCubano1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:25 am

I also wanted to give my thanks to 78 and firemoose for a job well done. I visited this thread on a daily basis and found it to be informative and quite accurate.

I live pretty far from the Boone area and finding any info on my beloved Mountaineers from the local media outlets is non-existent.

Thanks again and GO APPS!!!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:51 pm

From a blog post by the Asheville Citizen-Times, K Mason Moore (6-3, 175) of Asheville High School has accepted a preferred walk-on invitation to Appalachian State.

http://blogs2.citizen-times.com/hshuddle/

Highlights:

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:58 am

Interesting piece on DB Brandon Pinckney in GoUpState.com:

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201302 ... /130209645

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 am

Coach Ayers App and WC went head to head for four players, App got three, it was not a draw.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:12 am

AppGrad78 wrote:Interesting piece on DB Brandon Pinckney in GoUpState.com:

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201302 ... /130209645
Someone needs to tell the writer there is than just one shade of Gold.

George Washington

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”