Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Lamb performance so far

appbio91
School: Appalachian State

Re: Lamb performance so far

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:32 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
appbio91 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
appbio91 wrote:I think the main distress is there is almost no quick strike potential.
We had a 93-yard drive in 80 seconds today right before half.
And that was nice. My point is passes longer than 10 or 15 yards are very rare. Lots of long passes on paper because of yards after catch though. Not criticizing Lamb, I like him and I think he does a great job. He is a smart guy and runs our very well.
Why take shots down the field when your running game is gashing the opposition like they were today. That's when Lamb is best, when his task is just managing the game. Today we used the run to set up the pass and Lamb made some very nice plays. Today was Satterfield offense at its best imo
I agree 100%. Not sure why I got into this discussion except to acknowledge I understand where people are coming from. But just to answer your question we took some shots down field today early. You do that to prove that the threat exists. Again no need today and agree we did what we do best. Very happy with offense today.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:51 pm

I think Taylor is a fine quarterback. He won't be in the conversation for the Heisman anytime soon but we're winning with him at the helm so that should speak for itself.

My biggest gripe is that there have been several games where he's on point and his receivers aren't and then the days his receivers are on point he's a little scattered. But that's just the offense in general I think and can't be put squarely on him. I just wish both QB and receivers were clicked more like how they were today with those long scoring passes.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:53 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:Put Caruso in imo
Lamb has won us a lot of games bad or good ! This was a game that he needed and the team go apps !

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:25 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
appbio91 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
appbio91 wrote:I think the main distress is there is almost no quick strike potential.
And that was nice. My point is passes longer than 10 or 15 yards are very rare. Lots of long passes on paper because of yards after catch though. Not criticizing Lamb, I like him and I think he does a great job. He is a smart guy and runs our very well.
Why take shots down the field when your running game is gashing the opposition like they were today. That's when Lamb is best, when his task is just managing the game. Today we used the run to set up the pass and Lamb made some very nice plays. Today was Satterfield offense at its best imo
At a point later in the second half we were averaging over 12 freaking yards a play. We had what, over 300 yards rushing? We needed to scrap that and throw bombs? We have some speed and power backs. It works

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:37 pm

I also think that we could have a kid with Brett Favre arm talent at QB and you would still see the exact same offense. This is Satts philosophy and I don't believe much is going to derail him from it.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:54 pm

The coaches know the players better than all of the MMB coaches put together. We are in good hands. Trust those that are coaching.

It's even tough for me sometimes to step back and be objective. Let's stay positive and take the season one game at a time.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:23 pm

With our o-line and backs all we really need from Lamb is a few key 3rd down conversions, no INT's and maybe 150-200 yds and 1-2 TD's.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Based on the WRs getting reps the highly touted WR recruits may not be as good as advertised.

Coaches played to Lambs strengths yesterday and he executed. Really excellent play calling.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:53 am

Sometimes our team lines up against other teams with good defenders, more specifically good or highly touted DB's. Some comments (complaints or negative reviews of TL and receivers) make it sound like the guys on the other side of the ball stink or aren't any good. How different would our secondary look with the best DB on the field (not academically suspended)? In my opinion that really hurt us.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:12 am

I like Lamb, and believe for the most part he executes the offense as directed pretty well. He's had some mental lapses (Clemson last year) that have cost the team, but he's also shown a mental resiliency to bounce back and move the offense down field (bowl game). I liked what I saw this Saturday against Akron much better than the previous 3 games, but then the talent and ability of the defensive secondary between the Zips and the Vols and Hurricanes is a very wide gap. I also think that 4 games into the season, we're starting to see Lamb trust and learn the tendencies of his young receivers.

No one on App's schedule is going to mistake this team as a pass first offense. That much was clear before the opening kick in Knoxville. The o-line and stable of running back studs are built for a run first pound it down your throat approach. We've seen Satt as a OC open a spread offense and win titles, so to say this power running game is his default scheme may not be as accurate as him just using the tools the team has at his disposal.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:30 am

Lamb is a winner.......period.

wilsonappman

Unread post by wilsonappman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:31 am

I may look at things a little different but Taylor was recruited as a Sunbelt QB. He had no P5 offers that I'm aware of. Therefore I like to look at how he's performed against like minded schools. This year in the ODU and Akron games Taylor is:

36/51 (70.6%)
461 yds (230.5 per game)
3 TD
1 INT

We currently have 8 games left. None of which is against another P5. If Taylor can perform in those 8 the way he has performed in the previous 2, we will be fine and we will win a lot of football games.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:06 am

I think Lamb is our best choice for QB right now and agree with lot of the commentary.

I just would like to see him work on a quicker release at times. Especially on bubble plays and short passes. To his defense though, if you noticed some of his best throws vs Akron were dropped.
KICK ASS!!!

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:10 am

I don't want to encourage hasty INTs but you get my point. I appreciate his patience and leadership and mental integrity but sometimes he needs to zip it out quicker to the open man.
KICK ASS!!!

WVAppsfan

Unread post by WVAppsfan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:33 pm

Let's see, he moves the ball down field and scores TD'S, what else could we ask for? He is a talent on the field and posses a football mind. He is a great guy and a great leader.
"Always give your all"

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:40 pm

What would people be saying about Lamb if we had made an XP and maybe a FG in Knoxville? I'm pretty sure he doesn't play in the defensive backfield so he had nothing to do with getting torched by Miami. I've seen him throw up some pretty impressive numbers when asked to pass. I think he's pretty good.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:39 pm

not sure anyone is saying he isnt good, just discussing areas for improvement. why is that so bad? To me it appears that he throws off balance alot. Not sure if that is to compensate for his size, but appears to jump when throwing or lean back. Does not set his feet and throw moving forward much. Just seems skiddish.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:45 pm

Seattleapp wrote:Three games in and I'm still waiting for Lamb to look like the quarterback we expected him to be. I understand the run first philosophy and I understand the game manager title, but when put in the position to throw the ball, he seems to be lacking. My brother asked if he had a hurt arm and wasn't trying to be funny. Does anyone else notice the complete lack of zip on his passes? I know he doesn't have the greatest arm, but his timing has been off and the air under the ball is really apparent this year. Thoughts?
After seeing the Akron game, it's pretty clear that the issue has been the quality of athlete App has been playing. With two games against Top 25 teams, ODU looked like an FCS opponent and Lamb's lack of arm strength really showed by the decreased space in windows.

Those windows were open longer and larger against Akron and all of the sudden his lack of arm strength didn't matter.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:47 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
appbio91 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
At a point later in the second half we were averaging over 12 freaking yards a play. We had what, over 300 yards rushing? We needed to scrap that and throw bombs? We have some speed and power backs. It works
I really think that Darrynton Evans, if he stays at RB full time, is going to be a real force to be dealt with. He can truly be a weapon because you won't have to pull him out of the game. He can easily line up at receiver and rotate back into running back, gives SS options if he decided to start going up tempo again as we won't have to substitute.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:10 pm

ericsaid wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
appbio91 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
I really think that Darrynton Evans, if he stays at RB full time, is going to be a real force to be dealt with. He can truly be a weapon because you won't have to pull him out of the game. He can easily line up at receiver and rotate back into running back, gives SS options if he decided to start going up tempo again as we won't have to substitute.
That run he made was something else. As far as shots down the field goes what exactly defines that play (this is a question for whoever thinks we need more of that)? We hit a couple of 30+ yard TD's. A comment was made that some of the discussion is only about areas that Lamb can improve. Heck every player can improve but TL is a G5 level QB directing a very good G5 level team. There are only a handful of truely good P5 QB's out there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”