Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SoCon Tie-Breaker Rules

AppStateNation
School: Appalachian State

SoCon Tie-Breaker Rules

Unread post by AppStateNation » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Guys, I need your help with these SoCon tie-breaker rules.

I wrote out my best understanding of what the most likely scenario is. Check my work: http://www.appstatenation.com/2012/11/0 ... ing-rules/

Here are the official tie-breaker rules:
Championship Determination Tie-breaking Procedures: The Southern Conference champion shall be the team that finishes with the best won-loss percentage in Conference games during the regular season. In the case that two or more schools finish with identical won-loss records, they shall be declared co-champions.

NCAA Automatic Bid Tie-breaking Procedures: The Conference champion shall be awarded an automatic bid to the NCAA FCS Playoffs, provided it is eligible to compete in the post-season under NCAA guidelines. In the event that co-champions are declared, the automatic bid will be awarded as follows:
A. In the case of a two-way tie, the automatic bid will be awarded to the winner of the game between the tied teams during the regular season;
B. In the event of a three-way tie, the won-loss records of the tied teams against each other is first considered (i.e., head to head concept). If the teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered. If the tie is still not broken, the teams’ won-loss record against the next highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered and so on down the line until the tie is broken. If the tie is still not broken, the team with the fewest points allowed among the tied teams shall be considered. If this does not resolve the tie, then the automatic bid will be determined by a random draw conducted by the Commissioner;
C. In the event of multiple ties after a three-way tie, the same procedure as used to break a three-way tie will be applied until the tie is broken.

BUTCH1991

Re: SoCon Tie-Breaker Rules

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:32 pm

We need Chatty to beat Wofford and then we would get the automatic bid I believe. That would make a 3 way tie with GaSo and Chatty and we beat them both.

AppStateNation

Unread post by AppStateNation » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:38 pm

You're definitely right in that scenario. That's what we should hope for. But assuming Wofford beats Chatty, then what? That's what I tried to go through but it got more confusing than I anticipated.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:09 pm

If I read the rules correctly, a win against FU locks up the automatic berth. In the event of a three way tie with GSU, Wofford, and us, the tie goes to overall record against the other two. Since everyone is 1-1 , we move to tie breaker two which is record against the next best team (UTC). Which we all would have won. The next team down the list is Samford. This would knock Wofford out by virtue of a loss and wins by us and GSU. Then our win over GSU gets the automatic.

AppStateNation

Unread post by AppStateNation » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Hmm, I could see it reading that way. Is that kind of the consensus?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:35 pm

I had not read your entry on AppNation before I posted, but I am in agreement with your assessment of the rules. I think that you go to the points allowed if there are still multiple ties. I could be wrong.

APP1928

Unread post by APP1928 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:36 pm

AppSt94 wrote:If I read the rules correctly, a win against FU locks up the automatic berth. In the event of a three way tie with GSU, Wofford, and us, the tie goes to overall record against the other two. Since everyone is 1-1 , we move to tie breaker two which is record against the next best team (UTC). Which we all would have won. The next team down the list is Samford. This would knock Wofford out by virtue of a loss and wins by us and GSU. Then our win over GSU gets the automatic.

this is correct.

Robert Norton

Unread post by Robert Norton » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:44 pm

DJ today said tie with ASU/GSU/WC would go to the coin flip. How do you do this. Seems I remember this before and we lost the auto bid.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:02 am

Robert Norton wrote:DJ today said tie with ASU/GSU/WC would go to the coin flip. How do you do this. Seems I remember this before and we lost the auto bid.
I agree.with you. To play 8 conference games and not come to a consensus on the field is a travesty.

GoAppsGo92

Unread post by GoAppsGo92 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:49 am

The coin flip is not what happens anymore. In fact, it hasn't happened in decades.

The SoCon rules above clearly show what happens in the event of a tie. Bottom line for us: beat Furmie, and we can hang another conference championship banner in the stadium.

And just for personal reasons, I'd like to see Chatty take down Woffie.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:16 am

AppSt94 wrote:If I read the rules correctly, a win against FU locks up the automatic berth. In the event of a three way tie with GSU, Wofford, and us, the tie goes to overall record against the other two. Since everyone is 1-1 , we move to tie breaker two which is record against the next best team (UTC). Which we all would have won. The next team down the list is Samford. This would knock Wofford out by virtue of a loss and wins by us and GSU. Then our win over GSU gets the automatic.
OK, I was with you until your last sentence. The rule says "then on down the line until the tie is broken". You have already considered GSU, so you cannot reconsider them in getting us the AQ. It seems to me that first you consider Chatty, then Samford, then Citadel, etc. So, it may be that GaSo gets the AQ by beating The Citadel, when El Cit beat App.

And, to the poster who said that there had been no coin toss in decades. Not true. I recall one in this decade. Not sure the exact year, but it was GaSo, Woffie, & App. App won the toss.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:35 am

However, if one team is eliminated in the process, it is now a two team tie. Is the tie then broken based on head-to-head play?

AppStateNation

Unread post by AppStateNation » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:41 am

That's exactly the question I have HapApp. I don't think the rules are very clear on that.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43 am

"So, it may be that GaSo gets the AQ by beating The Citadel, when El Cit beat App."

My first post did not go through so here goes again: The Stink lost to El Cid as well.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:20 am

hapapp wrote:However, if one team is eliminated in the process, it is now a two team tie. Is the tie then broken based on head-to-head play?
Well, that's not what it says.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:24 am

WataugaMan wrote:"So, it may be that GaSo gets the AQ by beating The Citadel, when El Cit beat App."

My first post did not go through so here goes again: The Stink lost to El Cid as well.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that. So, then we look at Elon (both ASU & GaSo beat Elon); then, we look at WCU (& both beat WCU).

So, I guess I agree that it will come down to a coin toss (or maybe that ancient Japanese way of settling disputes - rock, paper, scissors) in the SoCon office. Hmmm, that's not exactly comforting.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:30 am

At this point, why does it really matter?

Beat Furman, that's all we can control.

Then, we get a solid window of time to rest our banged up guys before playoffs.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:34 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:At this point, why does it really matter?

Beat Furman, that's all we can control.

Then, we get a solid window of time to rest our banged up guys before playoffs.
Why does it matter? Ah, lemme tell you grasshopper. It matters because this time two days ago I never dreamed that we'd be able to sit here and argue these fine points of philosophy.

But, yes, we absolutely must, must, must, must BEAT FURMAN!!!!!!!!!!

AppStateNation

Unread post by AppStateNation » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:56 am

It doesn't matter that much since we'll be going to the playoffs either way. But mostly I'm just curious.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:08 am

Here is my question. Is there any way we get a home game?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”