Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2017 Schedule Speculation

Who Will We Schedule?

Host A FCS Opponent (Possibly one with a good marching band)
23%
P5 School On The Road? (Pay Day)
9%
G5 Opponent (Likely creating a home and home)
40%
DG Works His Magic and Lands Another P5 At Home (Start saving money now for Yosef Club and/or season tickets)
26%
Other
1%

Total votes: 77

Yosef84

Re: 2017 Schedule Speculation

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:57 am

If the Savannah State game is the separator between the Georgia game and Wake, we might all be very thankful for that "easy" week when next year actually gets here.

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:45 am

WataugaMan wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
Interesting, yes. Also, an absolutely horrible idea.
Agreed with EastHallApp here. Why play any FCS team you could lose to? That's how Jim Grobe did it at Wake.
We're no Wake, we would win.
Iowa and Kansas State aren't Wake, either.

We might win that game, we might not. The point is, it's a (figurative) no-win situation. If we win, it does virtually nothing for us; if we lose, we make headlines for losing to an FCS.
Just got back from camping trip, thus, I'm just getting around to responding. I see your point, at the same time, playing a Savannah State (simply because we should win easily) type team does nothing for us either. Personally I'd like to see a competitive game vice a blow out. I'd be willing to meet in the middle and play a James Madison or El Cid type game, if a FCS had to be considered.
A competitive game vs. an FCS would not be a good thing for our program at this point.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:48 am

In that case I'd rather play a "lower level FBS team" vice any FCS team, period.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:54 am

WataugaMan wrote:In that case I'd rather play a "lower level FBS team" vice any FCS team, period.
I think most would agree with you. Problem is then we have to give them a return game.

I like playing those weaker FBS teams as long as there's some extrinsic value (i.e., recruiting, driveable road game for fans). UNCC is a good example. FAU/FIU would be others. Wyoming and especially UMass don't really offer any of that, but I think those were just fillers when we were initially trying to fill our schedules. (And honestly, beating someone like UMass doesn't really help you any more than beating an FCS.) I think all the scheduling we've done since those first few announcements has been just about perfect.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:06 am

EastHallApp wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
Agreed with EastHallApp here. Why play any FCS team you could lose to? That's how Jim Grobe did it at Wake.
We're no Wake, we would win.
Iowa and Kansas State aren't Wake, either.

We might win that game, we might not. The point is, it's a (figurative) no-win situation. If we win, it does virtually nothing for us; if we lose, we make headlines for losing to an FCS.
Just got back from camping trip, thus, I'm just getting around to responding. I see your point, at the same time, playing a Savannah State (simply because we should win easily) type team does nothing for us either. Personally I'd like to see a competitive game vice a blow out. I'd be willing to meet in the middle and play a James Madison or El Cid type game, if a FCS had to be considered.
A competitive game vs. an FCS would not be a good thing for our program at this point.
Think about what that says.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:39 pm

It says to me we can't afford a loss at this point. I see no reason to schedule a game against an FCS squad that would provide a competitive game. You might get that anyway but you certainly don't invite someone to Boone who has a decent shot at winning.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:04 pm

It says we're an FBS program. You could make the same statement about everyone in FBS.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:27 pm

EastHallApp wrote:It says we're an FBS program. You could make the same statement about everyone in FBS.
Exactly! These are the same issues that every team in the G5 has to deal with....as well as most of the P5.

We are more "relevant" and get talked about more when we're winning and exceeding expectations. That's is true for any team in football not in the upper echelon of the P5. You don't hear much talk about Wake Forest, Virginia, Iowa State, Texas Tech, etc. You only hear about Vandy this week because they beat Georgia. That will change once they lose again.

A loss to an FCS program kills us and therefore we can't afford it. That's true of ANY FBS program.

I don't like playing Savannah State either. NOBODY will get excited about that game but I will still go because it is a fun day in Boone watching the men in Black play. I still think it might work out well as a filler between Georgia and Wake if that's where it falls.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:14 pm

I'm a boxing fan. There are champions, contenders, prospects, and opponents. we are an opponent. Accept that.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:14 pm

We are an opponent for the national title contenders, a prospect for the G5 NY6 bowl, a contender for a conference title, and a bowl champion. Not too bad for our third year in the FBS.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:37 pm

Not bad at all. Proud to be a Mountaineer.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Savannah State is on Saturday, September 9th, pet Bret of the WSJ.

So the OOC schedule is Week 1 at Georgia, Week 2 hosting Savannah State, Week 4 hosting Wake Forest and Week 9 at UMass.

What would really chap me is that if the Sun Belt scheduled a league home game in Week 3, making half the home schedule occur in 15 days.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:51 pm

What would chap people even more would be if Wake got moved to Thursday night.

luvyosef

Unread post by luvyosef » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:47 pm

EastHallApp wrote:What would chap people even more would be if Wake got moved to Thursday night.
I think the Stink game will be the Thursday home game and the Chants will be the Wednesday game so Wake will stay as is.
Appalachian State University (Excellence since 1899)

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:51 am

App91 wrote:
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
TheMackAttack wrote:
Boone Goon wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:We will have at a minimum one mid-week home game probably two in GS and Troy.

2017 - FCS, Wake, ULL, Troy on Wednesday or Thursday, GS on Thursday, and NMSU.
Next year's home slate will be 1 or 2 weeknight games, Saturday after Thanksgiving and now a FCS opponent.

That is going to be a tough sell with the exception of Wake Forest.

I would have rather seen a SoCon team just because they would have brought a bigger fan base than SSU.

With that said, I'll still buy my 4 season tickets.

I wish the Sun Belt would limit each team to one home weekday game per season and two total games per year. It does a number on attendance to do two home games per year.
They want that ESPN money tho.
Does anyone know if that TV money is more than what we would make on a home Sat.? Thought i heard $250k which is alot less than what we make. IMO we cannot afford these midweek games, they cost us too much money.
30,837 showed up to see 3-3 South Alabama, on a Thursday night, play Troy even though the game was televised on ESPNU. Think we'll see that many folks show up for a 3:30 Saturday homecoming game which will only be available online?

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:07 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
App91 wrote:
TheMackAttack wrote:
Boone Goon wrote:
Next year's home slate will be 1 or 2 weeknight games, Saturday after Thanksgiving and now a FCS opponent.

That is going to be a tough sell with the exception of Wake Forest.

I would have rather seen a SoCon team just because they would have brought a bigger fan base than SSU.

With that said, I'll still buy my 4 season tickets.

I wish the Sun Belt would limit each team to one home weekday game per season and two total games per year. It does a number on attendance to do two home games per year.
Does anyone know if that TV money is more than what we would make on a home Sat.? Thought i heard $250k which is alot less than what we make. IMO we cannot afford these midweek games, they cost us too much money.
30,837 showed up to see 3-3 South Alabama, on a Thursday night, play Troy even though the game was televised on ESPNU. Think we'll see that many folks show up for a 3:30 Saturday homecoming game which will only be available online?
Unfortunately, I dont. You also cannot discount that SBama and Troy are bitter in-state rivals that are just 2.5 hours away from eachother.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:05 pm

AppDawg wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
App91 wrote:
TheMackAttack wrote:

Unfortunately, I dont. You also cannot discount that SBama and Troy are bitter in-state rivals that are just 2.5 hours away from eachother.
5th all time meeting, let's not go crazy with a bitter rivalry.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:35 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppDawg wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
App91 wrote:
Some of our fans are already putting uncc in that perspective and we haven't played a game.

For the record, I don't agree with that mindset.

luvyosef

Unread post by luvyosef » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Sep 2 at Georgia
Sep 9 Savannah State
Sep 23 Wake Forest
Oct 28 at UMass

2017 non-Sun Belt schedule finalized. I expect 3-1. GO APPS!
Appalachian State University (Excellence since 1899)

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:56 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppDawg wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
App91 wrote:
Both schools have done a great job of making it just that. I understand that Troy took 20+ buses to USA.
Hoping we get 2/3 of that attendance # tomorrow.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”