Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Parking on Game day issues!

CornCobPipes
School: Appalachian State

Parking on Game day issues!

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:06 pm

I plan to address the problem issues with football game day parking with administrators and proper avenues besides bitching on this forum.

But, I think it is way overdue that administrators have not done there due diligence in managing parking issues for yosef club members parking more specifically in the decks where parking isn't really designed for tailgating. I realize there are future plans to construct more parking but that is not my issue or gripe as much as the current management of the situations we have and future considerations as well as that goes into planning.

The specific example I am going to portray has happened more than couple times for me personally and have heard many more complaints from others than I have experienced.
To be specific concerning the Library deck and I am sure problems arise elsewhere. FIRST the people working the deck need to have command on the situation and have communication whether it be walkie talkie or whatever and monitor the spaces on each level and STOP sending folks in and up when no spaces available. This can waste people's time trying to get back down and turned around to go to overflow designation. SECOND thoroughly check for passes upon entrance. I have heard rumors that too many allotments were made via administrative screw ups but for whatever reason this should not happen. I realize there may be some counterfeiting going on but still this needs to be addressed and solved. It's pain in ass to get to parking 2 hrs before kickoff and go through this.

I am all for folks tailgating having good time but if parking begins getting scarce then the parkings officials need to have folks clear out spaces and manage the situation.......this is not that difficult.

My point is .....this CAN lead to pissing off donors and affect season tickets sales even if small adverse affect. Not to mention like I often do I give away my tickets and parking pass away to friends, etc when I can not attend and if the potential for this continues it makes it difficult for first time patrons to ever want to come back therefore growing our program or filling the stands.

We are not going to play Miami every week when people expect some malpractice or overflow in these situations that even beyond that allow you to easily sale your tickets if need be.

This is totally uncalled for!!!!!!! Especially when we double the price of our pledges in one year and step on the most loyal of the Yosef fan base.

If this continues it could become a small factor in why attendance begins dropping besides economic factors, wins and losses, weather, or scheduling.

Yosef DESERVES better than this!!

The Pipes has spoke his peace and thanks for listening and if you don't like it kiss my apps
KICK ASS!!!

appst89
Site Admin

Re: Parking on Game day issues!

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:59 pm

We saw probably 20 or 25 cars come into the Library Deck yesterday and have to find somewhere to turn around to get out. There definitely needs to be better communication when the deck is full.

There also should be better communication at the beginning of the season that the decks are festival parking, meaning that there are more passes issued than there are spots in the deck. If they were only going to issue passes equal to the number of spaces, then we could have numbered parking in the deck, but then it would be half empty on most game days.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks for clarifying the festival parking aspect as I subconsciously had forgotten about. Was never really upset about going to overflow designated area other than I didn't plan for and wasted time and had to walk further not anticipating.

Mountain towns such as Boone have limitations on space as we all, for the most part, have understood through the years.

Albeit, I still stand by most of my gripes and points as you attest yourself. Agree 100% with your comments.

But when you have been loyal fan and yosef member for great number of years you also feel some entitlement to that numbered space notion.
Usually I arrive earlier and have no qualms.
KICK ASS!!!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:58 pm

I had the same issues when I was in Liberry. I arrive about 2 hrs. before game since I am not a tailgater. I upped YOSEF to numbered parking in Greenwood and have had no headaches since.
Bring Your A Game!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:22 am

I had a similar experience at the Miami game in the River St parking deck. Specifically with someone saving a space for someone else, tempers were flaring and it was a volatile situation. I thought a guy in a big pick up truck was going to ram some cars because he was pissed and having to turn around with no open spaces. I called and spoke with someone in the Yosef Club the following week to make them aware. I had to park a half mile away and pay (again) for parking which didn't bother me as much as not being able to be in our seats an hour before kickoff so that I can soak up the game-day atmosphere...especially for that game. That's the only time I've had a problem though...AND let's kick some GSU ass in Statesboro!!!!!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:16 am

I park in Justice, it's getting to be a mess too, primarily getting in and out. You have to weave in and out of tailgaters to get to your parking space, kids running out in front of you... A little commonsense and courtesy would go a long way. The Stadium Lot...well I'm glad I left....

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:53 pm

I've spoken with Alan in Yosef Club couple of times concerning Liberry parking. He asked me to follow up with him after the season with my take on the parking situation. I understand our limited space but a better strategy needs to be implemented. Event personal need to patrol the decks. Advise personal at the entrance when deck is full. As decks begins to fill event staff need to ask tailgaters to move out of spaces. If library Parker can ton trade for Rivers St then Rivers St should not be able to request Libary as that increases competition for already oversold spaces. You leave home for a 3 hour drive to Boone for some lunch / tailgate prior to game / get to deck its full 2 hrs prior to game. Park at ledgens walk ( not a bad place to tailgate) farther longer to stadium apologize to guest. We need better somehow.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:01 pm

Certainly not just a deck thing, I have seen on multiple occasions, behind the churches and in front of the theater, people setting up tents in parking spaces. I think this is pretty darn selfish considering it is prime free parking.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:18 pm

I like the idea of giving the number of spaces to ROTC guys and give them clicker counter so they will know when lot is full. Also have campus police patrol the deck to clear tailgaters if they do not have extra tag for that sport.
Bring Your A Game!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”