Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2019 Schedule?

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2019 Schedule?

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:23 pm

Any idea who has openings to host a game with us in 2019?

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:59 pm

I always go to fbschedules.com it's well organized and easy to use.

A quick scan shows UNC & UVa with only 2 OOC games slated. Both would be good options for Home & Home games. Or just a Road game.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Boone Goon wrote:I always go to fbschedules.com it's well organized and easy to use.

A quick scan shows UNC & UVa with only 2 OOC games slated. Both would be good options for Home & Home games. Or just a Road game.
Thanks. I like the site as well. I assumed that someone was all over this and had done the work already. Thanks for checking.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:15 pm

UVA would be great.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:26 pm

UVA and/or UNC would be great, but we deserve a home and home with each, not just an away game.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:34 pm

I'd be willing to play UNC in a church parking lot in Lumberton!

Whenever! Where ever!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:37 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:UVA and/or UNC would be great, but we deserve a home and home with each, not just an away game.
Why do you feel that we deserve a H&H?

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:31 am

Alabama and BYU are both in need of opponents for '19.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:42 am

Just doing a quick scan of some interesting possible matchups that could help further the program on the national stage with a win:

Notable G5:
Boise State
Houston
Memphis
Marshall

Perhaps Winnable P5:
Purdue
Kansas
Rutgers
Vanderbilt
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:13 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:UVA and/or UNC would be great, but we deserve a home and home with each, not just an away game.
UNC is playing at UNCC. UVA averages less than 40k and probably couldn't afford what other programs pay App for money games. Not to mention, UVA has played at other G5 stadiums that average less than KBS.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:26 pm

moonshine wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
UNC is playing at UNCC. UVA averages less than 40k and probably couldn't afford what other programs pay App for money games. Not to mention, UVA has played at other G5 stadiums that average less than KBS.
If we were FCS, sure. We are one of the top G5 teams, and playing a mid to low tier ACC team in a home and home series should be a realistic expectation. If Miami is willing to do it, why won't UNC or UVA?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:32 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
moonshine wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
If we were FCS, sure. We are one of the top G5 teams, and playing a mid to low tier ACC team in a home and home series should be a realistic expectation. If Miami is willing to do it, why won't UNC or UVA?
Miami wasn't really willing they just didn't have much choice is my understanding.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:36 pm

bcoach wrote:
moonshine wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Miami wasn't really willing they just didn't have much choice is my understanding.
Then I give even more credit to the powers that be who landed this deal. Wish the result were different.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:40 pm

bcoach wrote:
moonshine wrote:
AppSt94 wrote: Why do you feel that we deserve a H&H?
Then I give even more credit to the powers that be who landed this deal. Wish the result were different.
Not arguing, just don't understand. Why more credit?

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:42 pm

bcoach wrote:
bcoach wrote:
moonshine wrote:
Not arguing, just don't understand. Why more credit?
Not arguing either. I just think it's impressive to land that type of deal only a few years into FBS.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Let me start by saying I love App, I love Boone, and I love everything about our football program. But I think some in our fan base are ignoring reality.

P5 programs schedule road games based on:
1) Ability to generate revenue ("money games", TV broadcasts, alumni interest, etc.)
2) Alumni interest in a H&H
3) Ability to recruit from that geography
...there may be 1 or 2 other reasons, but these three dominate.

The reason UNCC has gotten games against area P5 teams is because Charlotte has a large alumni base who will come to the game. Same reason we'll pack Richardson stadium in a couple of years.

The reason ODU has gotten P5 teams to come to their place is because the Tide Water area has historically been a rich recruiting ground.

We might not like to hear this, but UVa and UNC fans aren't going to buy more season tickets because App is on their home schedule. And Watauga HS has won a couple of play-off football games of late, but it's not known as a hot bed of D1 talent. Layer in the difficulty of getting in and out of Boone, the lack of a full service hotel and this is why lower level P5 teams aren't lining up for a H&H with our Mountaineers. Sorry to be the wet blanket, but it's reality.

For these reasons, I don't believe we're owed anything, and I stick with my comments of Anywhere! Anytime!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:43 pm

Does UNC really need to play in Charlotte or Tide Water to recruit that geography? Those are just excuses for their program to not play on the mountain top. Now I can buy that reasoning for say Duke or NCSU playing Troy or USA in AL or other programs playing FIU in south FL.

I'm all about anyone, anywhere. It looks like every program in the triangle has a future G5 away game so unless they're willing to pay App $1.5m+, I'd say it's H&H for every FBS program in NC or no deal since our program can financially benefit by playing someone else.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Maybe this is the question we have to answer. Why should any of those teams come to the Rock. We may know why we want them but do we know why they would want to come?

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Bcoach's question could just as easily read: why would P5 schools want to come to G5 schools. Simple answer is they don't want to but some have to at this point to fill up the schedule.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:04 pm

@Moonshine fair comments & no argument from me on the $1.5M or H&H. My thinking on UNCC is it gives alumni/fans a "7th home game" since so many are in the greater Mecklenburg area. Mallard Creek, Butler, etc are good teams, but I agree there isn't any value for recruiting.

@bcoach asks the right question.

Miami's blow-out win actually helps us attract teams to the Rock. The reason Duke has a full dance card for years into the future is they're a known brand who has a low chance of winning. If other schools thought they had a 90% chance of rolling into town getting a win and resting their starters after 2 quarters of work it might be easier to schedule the Purdue's & UVa's of the world.

I think DG is doing solid scheduling work and the caliber of games in Boone is dramatically better than its ever been!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”