Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2019 Schedule?

Boone Goon
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2019 Schedule?

Unread post by Boone Goon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Just to clarify, I don't want to be anyone's cupcake! Even if it means we aren't able to get P5s to come to town. I'd rather have a great team people fear, than a team who can get all sorts of H&Hs.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:08 pm

bcoach wrote:Maybe this is the question we have to answer. Why should any of those teams come to the Rock. We may know why we want them but do we know why they would want to come?
For me, to not get a home and home with a school like UVA who has not had a winning season in 5 years is a slap in the face. UVA is an ACC bottom feeder, and to accept just a game in Charlottesville as we have for Knoxville, Athens, State College, just doesn't make sense to me. Why not just travel to Clemson or LSU again for a bigger pay out? I understand why UGA will never come to Boone. Their program speaks for itself. I'd have a hard time finding all around program success for UVA and UNC football.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Yosef10 wrote:Bcoach's question could just as easily read: why would P5 schools want to come to G5 schools. Simple answer is they don't want to but some have to at this point to fill up the schedule.
The top G5 schools should use this to their advantage. NCAA will only honor one FCS win, so they have to fill up with G5 schools for "winnable games" OOC. You need us to help fill your schedule? Well we need that in return. I mean this only for Mid to low P5 schools. I know Alabama would laugh in our face if we tried that, but a school like UVA and UNC, I feel it's a realistic negotiating tactic.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:22 pm

bcoach wrote:Maybe this is the question we have to answer. Why should any of those teams come to the Rock. We may know why we want them but do we know why they would want to come?
To play a football game!

With all of these programs playing away against App's current conference mates and similar mid major programs, they have no valid reason to not do a H&H or open up the wallet. To me, they lost all leverage of not playing on the mountain by agreeing to play H&H against our peers. I'd love to see any and all NC FBS teams play in Boone at some point but not at the expense of selling ourselves short. If it's not an equitable deal with regard to what our peers (ODU, Troy, USA, FIU, UNCC etc) received then find another team to play. App should not play second fiddle or sell our souls to get those teams up the mountain.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:34 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
For me, to not get a home and home with a school like UVA who has not had a winning season in 5 years is a slap in the face. UVA is an ACC bottom feeder, and to accept just a game in Charlottesville as we have for Knoxville, Athens, State College, just doesn't make sense to me. Why not just travel to Clemson or LSU again for a bigger pay out? I understand why UGA will never come to Boone. Their program speaks for itself. I'd have a hard time finding all around program success for UVA and UNC football.
The thing that comes up over and over for so many here is we need the NC schools to come to Boone. The simple answer to this is that they need a reason. They need a reason to come to Boone. For our purposes not a reason to play a G5 but specifically to come to Boone. See the real deal is not do they have a reason to schedule a G5. The deal is do they have reason to schedule Appalachian State. Let's take UVA as an example. They don't seem to have any problem scheduling games so how do we get them to want to come here? Now I think DG is doing fine but if what you want UVA, Duke, State and god forbid unc to come to Boone you have to give them a reason. "I want you to" is just not going to work.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:36 pm

MtnDevil95 wrote:Just doing a quick scan of some interesting possible matchups that could help further the program on the national stage with a win:

Notable G5:
Boise State
Houston
Memphis
Marshall

Perhaps Winnable P5:
Purdue
Kansas
Rutgers
Vanderbilt
Lets get Boise State on the schedule as soon as possible, what ever it takes. To be the best G5, you have to beat the best G5.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:05 pm

There is a lot to be said for teams like UVa, Duke, NCSU, etc. scheduling our peers as a cupcake FBS W. These are teams that are typically on the edge of .500 and bowl eligibility, so a G5 match-up needs to be a close sure thing in the W column. Those programs are not going to risk a 5-7 season because they rolled into Boone and got knocked around The Rock by a tough App State team, when they could just as easily travel to more fertile recruiting and TV market games for a much easier W that could be the difference in a post season.

Put yourself in NCSU shoes for a moment. Do you schedule a H&H with ODU that is likely a W both seasons, or do you risk dropping 2 in a row to a cross state rival that cares a lot more about the match-up than you do (see Moo U's recent record against EZU)?
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:06 pm

To prove they aren't the spineless wimps we all know they are. :D Come on man, this is football, why shouldn't they want to tee it up? ;)

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:50 pm

Didn't the state legislature in Raleigh have to get involved to get ECU H&H with State and UNC and maybe Duke? Seems like I remember that as an issue.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:13 pm

Rick83 wrote:Didn't the state legislature in Raleigh have to get involved to get ECU H&H with State and UNC and maybe Duke? Seems like I remember that as an issue.
Yep. That's the reason those 2 now travel to ECU, they were forced into it. I didn't approve of it then, but what's fair for one should/could be fair for all.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Actually it was the threat of the legislature getting involved I believe. Duke was not involved as it is a private university. I would hope we would not go that route as I viewed it as a sniveling, diaper wearing, thumb sucking, groveling, desperation move.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:12 pm

" but if what you want UVA, Duke, State and god forbid unc to come to Boone you have to give them a reason. "I want you to" is just not going to work."

What in the world would be a "reason"?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:01 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:" but if what you want UVA, Duke, State and god forbid unc to come to Boone you have to give them a reason. "I want you to" is just not going to work."

I don't know as I am not the AD at UVA :lol: BUT! if it were my job I would find out. I'll bet DG knows what motivates the schools he has signed.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:29 am

WVAPPeer wrote:" but if what you want UVA, Duke, State and god forbid unc to come to Boone you have to give them a reason. "I want you to" is just not going to work."

Would probably have to convince them that it somehow makes economic sense and/or would somehow benefit them from a marketing standpoint.

Honestly I suspect that this is why App produces social media graphics that rate us ahead of other area teams, like the "best record in the state" one last year, the one showing us at #33 in CBS rankings this year and of course the one putting us in a hypothetical CFP field.

Are those logically dubious or even absurd on their face? Sure, but I don't think we care, and in fact I'm not sure we don't do it in part BECAUSE of that. The more far-fetched the premise, the more likely it is to raise some eyebrows and draw a response. In other words, we're trolling. If we do it enough, maybe people around those other schools (boosters, fans... perhaps even a coach?) decide, "screw it, let's shut those guys up and put them in their place."

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:51 am

EastHallApp wrote:

Would probably have to convince them that it somehow makes economic sense and/or would somehow benefit them from a marketing standpoint.

Honestly I suspect that this is why App produces social media graphics that rate us ahead of other area teams, like the "best record in the state" one last year, the one showing us at #33 in CBS rankings this year and of course the one putting us in a hypothetical CFP field.

Are those logically dubious or even absurd on their face? Sure, but I don't think we care, and in fact I'm not sure we don't do it in part BECAUSE of that. The more far-fetched the premise, the more likely it is to raise some eyebrows and draw a response. In other words, we're trolling. If we do it enough, maybe people around those other schools (boosters, fans... perhaps even a coach?) decide, "screw it, let's shut those guys up and put them in their place."
That's a pretty sharp analysis there EastHall...those graphics are also fun for App fans to share on Facebook, etc. Something else that'll hurt us with scheduling those guys is, and I could be wrong, but I read somewhere hopefully from a reliable source (as opposed to this MMB!), that the ACC schools were going to have to schedule 2 OOC P5 games going forward. So, out of the 4 OOC games they play, you know 1 will be an FCS team so that only leaves 1 spot for G5s, like us. Not sure if it matters to the big schools like UNC, NCSU, Duke but playing us reduces travel costs and travel time for a game...probably not a huge factor though.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:35 am

The #1 motivator (aka: reason) are the Benjamins! If a game against App generates more money than a game against any other G5 option then they will book it.

Some on the board won't like this, but I'd sign up for a 2:1 with UNC any day of the week. Spread it out over 9 years so we're not playing them consecutively, but lets go. I realize I have the luxury of not worrying about the athletic budget, I'm simply speaking as a fan. But I want a piece of the Tarheels in the worst way. I'd love to see them shuffling down stadium drive after a loss! But I'd just as well enjoy getting to celebrate on Franklin St.

Anytime! Anywhere!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:43 am

I'd like to schedule some cupcake games with the AAC

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:28 am

Boone Goon wrote:The #1 motivator (aka: reason) are the Benjamins! If a game against App generates more money than a game against any other G5 option then they will book it.

Some on the board won't like this, but I'd sign up for a 2:1 with UNC any day of the week. Spread it out over 9 years so we're not playing them consecutively, but lets go. I realize I have the luxury of not worrying about the athletic budget, I'm simply speaking as a fan. But I want a piece of the Tarheels in the worst way. I'd love to see them shuffling down stadium drive after a loss! But I'd just as well enjoy getting to celebrate on Franklin St.

Anytime! Anywhere!
I don't think that a 2 for 1 is unreasonable. As long as there is no escape clause. I am all for 2-1's when prudent and H&H with the state schools, but in reality we need to ask the chicken and the egg question when it comes to stadium size. As much as I liked the fact that Miami played at the Rock, but we need more permanent seats to make more money. I understand the sentiment that some have about seeing empty seats on TV, but 10k additionl, available seats for games such as these could generate additional revenue for games like these. I am of the opinion that we need at least 35k in permanent seats, like Boise, before we can think about getting the P5s into Boone on a consistent basis.

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:32 am

I found this interesting. I looked at the 44 bowl teams from the P5 and identified the following relating to FCS teams they played during this season.

Teams that played Zero FCS = 11 (6 from the B1G)
Teams that played one FCS = 32
Teams that played TWO FCS = 1 (Our friends UNC)

Of coarse we played no FCS teams this year an I hope that would reflect in our year-end rankings along with our record.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:41 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Boone Goon wrote:The #1 motivator (aka: reason) are the Benjamins! If a game against App generates more money than a game against any other G5 option then they will book it.

Anytime! Anywhere!
I don't think that a 2 for 1 is unreasonable. As long as there is no escape clause. I am all for 2-1's when prudent and H&H with the state schools, but in reality we need to ask the chicken and the egg question when it comes to stadium size. As much as I liked the fact that Miami played at the Rock, but we need more permanent seats to make more money. I understand the sentiment that some have about seeing empty seats on TV, but 10k additionl, available seats for games such as these could generate additional revenue for games like these. I am of the opinion that we need at least 35k in permanent seats, like Boise, before we can think about getting the P5s into Boone on a consistent basis.
What monetary conditions would you want to accept for a 2 for 1.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”