Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2019 Schedule?

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2019 Schedule?

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:27 pm

I admit that I don't know much about how 2 for
1 contracts work so I am going to base my answer off of assumption. If the opponent l, lets use UNC for example, sets it up to play two in Chapel Hill and then one in Boone, then I would want some assurance that the return trip would happen. Using ticket prices for Miami as a base line, I would ask the buyout to equate to season tickets x the premium charge of the ticket.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:49 pm

So our second visit would be minus any revenue for traveling to a P5?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:58 pm

I apologize. I misunderstood your question. I thought you were referring to the buyout clause. Admittedly I know nothing about 2-1 deals but I think that somewhere north of 7 figures.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:00 pm

@bcoach, right question...I'm just not knowledgeable on the topic to give a credible answer.

As a fan, I'd be willing to do it for nothing, but I realize the ignorance of my statement. Ideally the UNC game would not be a money game for us, similar to this seasons Miami or Akron games.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:05 pm

Boone Goon wrote:@bcoach, right question...I'm just not knowledgeable on the topic to give a credible answer.

As a fan, I'd be willing to do it for nothing, but I realize the ignorance of my statement. Ideally the UNC game would not be a money game for us, similar to this seasons Miami or Akron games.
I don't know the answer either. My problem with a 2-1 is if there is no pay for the second game we either play 2 P5 in one year with one for no pay or we give up a payday we can not afford to do.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:16 pm

I wonder what it would cost to host a 'home game' at Panthers' stadium? Just the straight cost of renting the stadium. My thinking is if we did a H&H with UNC but also had a neutral site game in Charlotte could it be more attractive financially than a home game in Boone or a money game in Chapel Hill. It would have to count as one of our road games for the season, leaving us with 6 in Boone.

I think if it is the first game of the 3 game series it would work, but if it's not the first people wouldn't be as excited. Is a $50 ticket something 50,000 fans would go to? Would 60k?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Boone Goon wrote:I wonder what it would cost to host a 'home game' at Panthers' stadium? Just the straight cost of renting the stadium. My thinking is if we did a H&H with UNC but also had a neutral site game in Charlotte could it be more attractive financially than a home game in Boone or a money game in Chapel Hill. It would have to count as one of our road games for the season, leaving us with 6 in Boone.

I think if it is the first game of the 3 game series it would work, but if it's not the first people wouldn't be as excited. Is a $50 ticket something 50,000 fans would go to? Would 60k?
A guess is that it would not draw many unc fans so 50,000 I don't think so, 60,000 I see no way at all. Now I will say that it is a great idea but I just don't see the numbers. Again only a guess but I think you could get closer to the numbers if it were State. Now with that said I will tell you I come with a bias. There are not many things that would keep me away from an APP football game but unc as an opponent is one. So lets hear from some others.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:07 am

2 and 1's are different depending on the scenario.

We'd have to get a sweetheart deal with BoaA to make as much money as a Boone home game.

When the city of Charlotte paid part of the last BoA Stadium upgrades, they got a number of free uses of the stadium per year. I don't know if they use them all or not.

Only a very select number of opponents at BofA make sense. Chapel Hill, IMO, is not one of them.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:19 am

Living in the Triangle area, Durham specifically, I see how many of the teams in this area (UNC, Duke, NC State) travel. It's not a perfect science by any means, but I see a TON of NC State car flags and magnets going to and from the Raleigh area on Saturdays. Very few UNC flags & magnets and next to none for Duke. So I would say a game at BOA would draw much better for a game against State. That school knows how to tailgate and cares much more about their football then either UNC or Duke. Maybe not as exciting since they haven't been as good recently and we played not too long ago but playing them would sell a lot more tickets than either of the other two.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:24 am

The one thing I miss about our days in the SoCon is the drivable away games. It would be great if the '19 remainder of the schedule could be filled with teams in the surrounding area.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:06 am

T-Dog wrote:2 and 1's are different depending on the scenario.

We'd have to get a sweetheart deal with BoaA to make as much money as a Boone home game.

When the city of Charlotte paid part of the last BoA Stadium upgrades, they got a number of free uses of the stadium per year. I don't know if they use them all or not.

Only a very select number of opponents at BofA make sense. Chapel Hill, IMO, is not one of them.
They didn't even draw well there against Carolina. Of course, nose bleeds were over $100 for that game. Which also brings in an important factor, price point for tickets.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:57 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:" but if what you want UVA, Duke, State and god forbid unc to come to Boone you have to give them a reason. "I want you to" is just not going to work."

What in the world would be a "reason"?
Would probably have to convince them that it somehow makes economic sense and/or would somehow benefit them from a marketing standpoint.

Honestly I suspect that this is why App produces social media graphics that rate us ahead of other area teams, like the "best record in the state" one last year, the one showing us at #33 in CBS rankings this year and of course the one putting us in a hypothetical CFP field.

Are those logically dubious or even absurd on their face? Sure, but I don't think we care, and in fact I'm not sure we don't do it in part BECAUSE of that. The more far-fetched the premise, the more likely it is to raise some eyebrows and draw a response. In other words, we're trolling. If we do it enough, maybe people around those other schools (boosters, fans... perhaps even a coach?) decide, "screw it, let's shut those guys up and put them in their place."
Ahem...

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:01 am

EastHallApp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:" but if what you want UVA, Duke, State and god forbid unc to come to Boone you have to give them a reason. "I want you to" is just not going to work."

Would probably have to convince them that it somehow makes economic sense and/or would somehow benefit them from a marketing standpoint.

Honestly I suspect that this is why App produces social media graphics that rate us ahead of other area teams, like the "best record in the state" one last year, the one showing us at #33 in CBS rankings this year and of course the one putting us in a hypothetical CFP field.

Are those logically dubious or even absurd on their face? Sure, but I don't think we care, and in fact I'm not sure we don't do it in part BECAUSE of that. The more far-fetched the premise, the more likely it is to raise some eyebrows and draw a response. In other words, we're trolling. If we do it enough, maybe people around those other schools (boosters, fans... perhaps even a coach?) decide, "screw it, let's shut those guys up and put them in their place."
Ahem...
Yes, EastHall...you called it right on this one...a rare occurence..so enjoy the moment...

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:33 am

Rick83 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Ahem...
Yes, EastHall...you called it right on this one...a rare occurence..so enjoy the moment...
I will, as soon as I'm done deleting all the old posts where I was wrong. ;)

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:49 am

You really think that graphic trolled UNC into playing us? I really don't think it was a factor at all.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:03 pm

Probably not, actually. Might have raised awareness a bit and opened the door, but that's about it. I do think that may have been part of the intention, though.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:31 pm

T-Dog wrote:I'm fine with playing ETSU if we need to play an FCS. They're my first, second and third FCS choice. Rather ETSU than Elon, Furman or that ilk.

I don't know what it'll be, but Doug Gillin was really excited about 2019 on Mountaineer Talk a few weeks ago. No specifics given or known.
Now you know why.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Gonzo wrote:You really think that graphic trolled UNC into playing us? I really don't think it was a factor at all.
As HC famously said ,"At this point what difference does it make?" ;) What I look at is that we have 3 chances to upset the Heels.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:01 pm

NewApp wrote:
Gonzo wrote:You really think that graphic trolled UNC into playing us? I really don't think it was a factor at all.
As HC famously said ,"At this point what difference does it make?" ;) What I look at is that we have 3 chances to upset the Heels.
Maybe by the time we play them, they will be the ones aiming for the upset.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”