Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNCCH to Boone?

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNCCH to Boone?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:42 pm

NewApp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
NewApp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
NewApp wrote:
The loss of athletic scholarships likely won't hurt them. They'll just award bogus academic scholarships in their place. That's what the so-called non-scholarship colleges do.
That has to my knowledge never happened at any school that lost scholarships due to NCAA probation, including UNC.
Chapel Hell has had Morehead Scholars on their team in the past. So, yes, it has happened.
Not denying that there's ever been a Morehead Scholar play football at UNC in school history. But they didn't have anyone on academic scholarship to get around scholarship reductions. That's just fiction.
How do you know it is fiction? Evidently you have more faith in the integrity of UNC-CH athletics than most of us on this board.
Because it's not hard to get scholarship information on ACC football teams. They kind of make a big deal about who they sign every year, and their rosters are all easily available. Same for every other D1 team that's had scholarship reductions in recent years. But if you want to cite an actual example of this happening, please do. Otherwise maybe we can put this silly argument to bed.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:34 am

EastHallApp wrote:
NewApp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
NewApp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
That has to my knowledge never happened at any school that lost scholarships due to NCAA probation, including UNC.
Chapel Hell has had Morehead Scholars on their team in the past. So, yes, it has happened.
Not denying that there's ever been a Morehead Scholar play football at UNC in school history. But they didn't have anyone on academic scholarship to get around scholarship reductions. That's just fiction.
How do you know it is fiction? Evidently you have more faith in the integrity of UNC-CH athletics than most of us on this board.
Because it's not hard to get scholarship information on ACC football teams. They kind of make a big deal about who they sign every year, and their rosters are all easily available. Same for every other D1 team that's had scholarship reductions in recent years. But if you want to cite an actual example of this happening, please do. Otherwise maybe we can put this silly argument to bed.
I wasn't referencing scholarship reduction per se, just academic vs athletic scholarships
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:46 am

NewApp wrote:
asu1978 wrote:What if UNCheaters get the death penalty from the NCAA...just a thought :roll:
I couldn't tell if you were being facetious or not, but if the Nittany Lions didn't, there's no way the Tar Holes would.
Two completely different situations...Penn State was moral corruption among its coaching staff...punishing the current players to that degree for their coaches' past behavior would've been wrong. UNC is systematic academic fraud. Coaches, professors, academic advisors, tutors, and players were all complicit. Borderline, but a case could easily be made for the death penalty here.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:52 am

APPdiesel wrote:
NewApp wrote:
asu1978 wrote:What if UNCheaters get the death penalty from the NCAA...just a thought :roll:
I couldn't tell if you were being facetious or not, but if the Nittany Lions didn't, there's no way the Tar Holes would.
Two completely different situations...Penn State was moral corruption among its coaching staff...punishing the current players to that degree for their coaches' past behavior would've been wrong. UNC is systematic academic fraud. Coaches, professors, academic advisors, tutors, and players were all complicit. Borderline, but a case could easily be made for the death penalty here.
Because of what happened at SMU a school will never again get the death penalty.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:15 pm

UNC is too much of a cash cow especially in basketball and at times baseball to be given the death penalty. When I think of the SMU death penalty I think of no sports at all. Essentially a start over from scratch approach. Doubtful NCAA will do something like this to UNC, but the lingering effects are already being felt in the form of recruiting.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:59 pm

NewApp wrote:
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
fjblair wrote:
NewApp wrote:
fjblair wrote:

LOL, you can't be serious. UNC not only has ACC status but they are *gulp* an ACC school and the flagship school in our state and university system. It's kind of a really big deal, the biggest home/home in our history as far as I know.

We haven't ever beat them, so I would pump the brakes on the sweep. Also "those types of series" are here to stay.

We haven't played them in football since the late 1930's you know.
No I obviously didn't know, lol.
Actually it was 1940. September 21 according to College Football Data Warehouse.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active ... esults.php
According to our media guide, it was 1940, but Sept 20th. We lost 56-6. At least we scored on them. Big deal though because we lost to Elon, Rollins by a 30 point shut out, and Lenoir Rhyne. We were 6-4 that year and were 2-2 in the North State Conference.Now if we had played them in 1937, when we were undefeated and unscored on in the regular season, it might have been a competitive game.
21st was a Saturday and the 20th was a Friday in 1940. The UNC-CHeat guide has it listed as the 21st also. I think the App guide is wrong here. Every date listed is on a Friday. I doubt we played every game on a Friday that year, and most likely did not play any games on Friday that year, given ESPN was not around. I think someone was off on the calendar by one day and no one has detected the error when making the media guide at some point in the past. I doubt this is retyped every year. I wonder how long this has been incorrect. (God I hate writing that UNC-CHeat is correct and we are not on this.)
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”