Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Pro Day

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Pro Day

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Had something pop up on FB regarding John Law and his Pro Day. Unless I missed it was there any mention of our Pro Day here? Just curious

firemoose

Re: Pro Day

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:57 pm

No. Not that I've seen. Once I had some numbers I was going to put it in the Apps in the Pros section.

stafford

Unread post by stafford » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:03 am

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Looks like Jamie Collmar parlayed his pro day performance into a workout with the Panthers. Good to see.

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/201 ... a-panthers

Alan

Unread post by Alan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:04 pm

Some great performances. Mondo ran a 4.37. Looks like Collmar opened some eyes.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Can someone tell me why Marcus Cox is rated 50 out of 184 possible running backs by NFL Draft Scout. He's not the beast of Fournette and doesn't have the pedigree of McCaffrey but why is he not getting ANY love? 50????? A guy who ran over 100 yards against Tennessee, almost 50 in one quarter against Miami and 143 yards against Toledo (23 more than Kareem Hunt who Draft Scout rates 7th). Really??? He's got good hands is an okay blocker and has a knack for waiting for and finding holes. When there's no hole he doesn't usually lose yards and often times makes lemon drop shots out of lemons...always driving forward. I don't get it; can someone here tell me how this is?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Because NFL teams don't care about college stats. NFL scouts look at pro potential and intangibles and for whatever reason, some players you wouldn't expect are rater higher than others.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:05 pm

mikeyosef wrote:Can someone tell me why Marcus Cox is rated 50 out of 184 possible running backs by NFL Draft Scout. He's not the beast of Fournette and doesn't have the pedigree of McCaffrey but why is he not getting ANY love? 50????? A guy who ran over 100 yards against Tennessee, almost 50 in one quarter against Miami and 143 yards against Toledo (23 more than Kareem Hunt who Draft Scout rates 7th). Really??? He's got good hands is an okay blocker and has a knack for waiting for and finding holes. When there's no hole he doesn't usually lose yards and often times makes lemon drop shots out of lemons...always driving forward. I don't get it; can someone here tell me how this is?
Small, average speed, and I believe I read that his pass blocking was considered less than OK by some. That said, I have seen some positive reviews for him - believe he's been projected as a 7th round pick a couple places, for whatever that's worth.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:17 pm

"actually", he had about 130 in one quarter against Miami --- :o
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Testify WVAPPeer, Testify! :D

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Measureables are what that the teams look at first. Film and drills. YOu can never measure heart! Marcus is not the biggest, strongest or fastest. Not sure he could break the first contact against a pro D and get into the second tier.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Measureables are what that the teams look at first. Film and drills. YOu can never measure heart! Marcus is not the biggest, strongest or fastest. Not sure he could break the first contact against a pro D and get into the second tier

I understand that, which is why I mentioned both Tennessee and Miami; both of which will have guys from their defense in the PROs. I can add over 100 yards against Clemson, 1423 rushing yards in 2015, 1415 rushing yards in 2014. And, it's not like our opponents didn't know he was coming. I just think it's ridiculous to think he doesn't deserve a better look. Frankly when you hear all the wonderful comments about our program lately (which I love) you just can't move on without pointing out why we have been getting this press.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:53 pm

mikeyosef wrote:Can someone tell me why Marcus Cox is rated 50 out of 184 possible running backs by NFL Draft Scout. He's not the beast of Fournette and doesn't have the pedigree of McCaffrey but why is he not getting ANY love? 50????? A guy who ran over 100 yards against Tennessee, almost 50 in one quarter against Miami and 143 yards against Toledo (23 more than Kareem Hunt who Draft Scout rates 7th). Really??? He's got good hands is an okay blocker and has a knack for waiting for and finding holes. When there's no hole he doesn't usually lose yards and often times makes lemon drop shots out of lemons...always driving forward. I don't get it; can someone here tell me how this is?
He doesn't have the burst you see from a lot of NFL backs. Without that burst, he won't be through the holes quick enough or able to separate from defenders when in the route tree, or so they say. I believe that his tape against the big schools show that regardless of him lacking an extra gear, he will find the hole and hit it hard more often than not. He isn't a battering ram but in an offense like the 49er's will run this year under Shanahan he could be a 3 down back.

And to correct, Cox would've had around 108 yards against Miami if not for the hold called on Meadors; a hold that Miami receivers were executing the entire first half I might add.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:58 pm

John Settle was an Undrafted free agent and played in Pro Bowl. This lack of respect for our RBs is nothing new.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:15 pm

It is lack of knowledge of "small school" athletes. And by the by...Kevin Richardson got a look and that was all.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Rekdiver wrote:It is lack of knowledge of "small school" athletes. And by the by...Kevin Richardson got a look and that was all.
Richardson wasn't Marcus Cox, or even Jalin Moore for that matter. He was a solid runner for an FCS back but there wasn't much he could do at the NFL level that other backs could do.

People know who Marcus Cox is, and you can bet that scouts are well aware of him considering the Tennessee game was nationally televised and every time App has been on ESPN the past few years, Cox has run for 100+. Despite the holding call against Miami, scouts will still use that run as an evaluation tool.

The issue here is that you don't see the media picking up on small school guys because the media types don't get the exposure to the small school players, unless they are first round material, that scouts do. Surprisingly, I ran across an article that includes a blurb on Parker Collins. The aforementioned blurb states largely what we already know about him. Depending upon his value according to other teams, don't be surprised to see someone who really wants him to snag him in the 5th or 6th round.

Blurb, Go to bottom of page

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Alan wrote:Some great performances. Mondo ran a 4.37. Looks like Collmar opened some eyes.
To jump back on this, Mondo was projected in the latest NFL.com Mock Draft to go in the 7th round to the Lions. This is largely based on the video that Odell Beckham Jr. retweeted of Mondo snagging a ball with one hand.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:20 pm

A very good friend of mine was an NFL scout who spent time in Boone when a certain guy was playing. He and three other scouts from three other teams traveled together. I was at his house one night and listened to the three gang up on him about how this player was too small. My friend wanted him bad but could not convince his team. That guy was a third round draft choice. He was on the NFL all rookie team in 1997, 3 time Pro Bowl, and inducted into the College Football hall of fame in 2011.
Some scout somewhere is looking at Marcus. Don't know the path but he will get a chance.
That guy was "too small" Dexter Coakley.
Last edited by bcoach on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Marcus should get a shot........and he is definitely worthy of a late round pick and not a free agent!.....He waits and picks the hole as good as anyone.......he has the good quick first spurt, decent overall speed, good hands receiving, and plenty of heart and work ethic,. He is type I think if he bulked up a just a little more he would not lose anything.
KICK ASS!!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Marcus will get his shot. It's not like pro teams aren't aware of him. Plenty of RBs who were drafted late or not at all have had fine NFL careers. If he's good enough and lands in camp with the right team, he'll make it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”