Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Paint the track black?

yosef95
School: Appalachian State

Paint the track black?

Unread post by yosef95 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:30 am

I know everyone wants the track gone, and hopefully with Watauga's land, this will happen sometime soon. In the meantime, why not paint the track black instead of its current reddish/orange color? Would look way better than current

Boone Goon

Re: Paint the track black?

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:33 am

Green

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:41 am

It's too late.

They're not going to paint the KBS track black just so a group of alums can feel better about it six times a year until halftime when they get in line for Dan'l Boone Inn for the next 2-3 years.

Paint the future track at the old WHS black and gold, absolutely. Use the money and resources there.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:49 pm

T-Dog wrote:It's too late.

They're not going to paint the KBS track black just so a group of alums can feel better about it six times a year until halftime when they get in line for Dan'l Boone Inn for the next 2-3 years.

Paint the future track at the old WHS black and gold, absolutely. Use the money and resources there.
Every cent and man hour at our disposal should be devoted to the task of preparing the new land for receiving the track and FINALLY taking a jackhammer to Kidd Brewer Stadium's worst feature. The goal should be full removal by the 2018 season. They shouldn't buy another roll of toilet paper for the athletics facility before they do so.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:32 pm

If nothing else, maybe they can purchase some field turf remnants to cover the track. 8-)

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:55 pm

MDaniels84 wrote:If nothing else, maybe they can purchase some field turf remnants to cover the track. 8-)
That's one suggestion that's already been made, along with a few others, given that in a few weeks we won't need the outdoor track again until spring of next year. Long time to get the other track ready for practice and competition. Looking forward to seeing what happens.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:15 pm

I was in Boise last Fall for work and was able to get into the Boise State stadium. If you've not seen the evolution of their stadium it's worth a quick Wikipedia search. They're very much our "western cousin". While they've done a lot of great work to their stadium, its not something we should emulate. For all intent they still have their track. Similar to us, they put bleachers over top of one end zone. Because of this, their stands are still a long way from the field. I hope once we remove the track we're able to adjust the stadium in a way that we can get our fans closer to the action.

As for the the WHS space, we get one chance to get this right. I'd be alright if they take their time and lay out a master plan for its development so we're still in a good spot 15 years from now and not talking about bulldozing anything. Listening to the BGP last week, David Jackson mentioned the possibility of approaching this space as a blank slate as opposed to just "updating" the current track at the HS. I suspect several years of sitting there its going to need some significant work before its ready for D-I competition.

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:49 pm

I heard that tracks don't come in black
The mountains are calling and I must go

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Boone Goon wrote:I was in Boise last Fall for work and was able to get into the Boise State stadium. If you've not seen the evolution of their stadium it's worth a quick Wikipedia search. They're very much our "western cousin". While they've done a lot of great work to their stadium, its not something we should emulate. For all intent they still have their track. Similar to us, they put bleachers over top of one end zone. Because of this, their stands are still a long way from the field. I hope once we remove the track we're able to adjust the stadium in a way that we can get our fans closer to the action.

As for the the WHS space, we get one chance to get this right. I'd be alright if they take their time and lay out a master plan for its development so we're still in a good spot 15 years from now and not talking about bulldozing anything. Listening to the BGP last week, David Jackson mentioned the possibility of approaching this space as a blank slate as opposed to just "updating" the current track at the HS. I suspect several years of sitting there its going to need some significant work before its ready for D-I competition.
WOW - Boise stadium makes our distance from stands to the field look like nothing to fuss over.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:15 pm

Just to be clear no one is suggesting we piece mill anything and right now the property is a blank slate given that nothing much is there. And I do know all about the track/field and what it will take to bring it up to collegiate standards. There's a reason why that track and the one at the new high school are named after my mom. She is the one that came up with the idea of building one there in the first place, brought it to the school board and county commissioners, set up the fund raising campaigns, and got it built before cancer took her. She lived long enough to see the construction begin but was too sick to come to the first meet held there and passed soon after.

The property is a blank slate but as anyone who went to school there knows, and I did, the spot where the current track and football field is is pretty much only conducive to that type of facility. The other types of fields can be moved to several different places on the property but the hole where the track is now can only really house that type of venue, without a lot of construction, due to the layout of the land. The bank where the concrete bleachers have been forever is only on one side and is pretty much straight. The ski slope area on the 105 side, behind the endzone, would require a ton of work due to the way it angles away from the current field and the other length side of the field is flat. Thus a track/field type venue sets up better there than say a softball or baseball field, just due to land shape. Plus those fields are already in other places on the property.

No one knows exactly what is going to happen. Lots of unknowns at the moment since so much is dependent on funding that hasn't been secured yet. It's all been theory and wishing until now. Whether we get things moving quickly or it takes some time I trust we will set it up the best way for the long haul.

jlm11

Unread post by jlm11 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:25 pm

CheckYosef94 wrote:I heard that tracks don't come in black
I went to HS with a black track... had to be replaced due to temperature concerns both when putting hands down at the starting blocks and radiating off the track itself on sunny days.

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:47 pm

jlm11 wrote:
I went to HS with a black track... had to be replaced due to temperature concerns both when putting hands down at the starting blocks and radiating off the track itself on sunny days.
I was referring to something Cobb said while he was at App. I don't know/remember all the details but from what I do remember we were looking at track options or something like that and some fans asked for a black track and Cobb said they don't come in that color.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Two quick things to add to that last post.

Boone Goon: That was not directed at you but a for the board post. I've seen some of those same things mentioned on other sites and I decided it was a good time to respond.

And second, based on things I've heard it sounds like our piece mill days, for now, ended when DG came to town. I have faith that whatever we do up there will be in the best interest of App for the long term.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:13 pm

We all just need to give more money, encourage others to start giving and support what DG is doing. After watching him for two years, I trust he is and will direct App State athletics in the right direction. In DG we trust...Nuff Said. :D
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:20 pm

CheckYosef94 wrote:
jlm11 wrote:
I was referring to something Cobb said while he was at App. I don't know/remember all the details but from what I do remember we were looking at track options or something like that and some fans asked for a black track and Cobb said they don't come in that color.
Give credit where it's due. Roachel Laney said that.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:24 pm

AppinVA wrote:
CheckYosef94 wrote:
jlm11 wrote:
Give credit where it's due. Roachel Laney said that.
Thank you. I've tried to block that part of App's history out of my mind, luckily it seems to be working.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 pm

firemoose wrote:Two quick things to add to that last post.

Boone Goon: That was not directed at you but a for the board post. I've seen some of those same things mentioned on other sites and I decided it was a good time to respond.

And second, based on things I've heard it sounds like our piece mill days, for now, ended when DG came to town. I have faith that whatever we do up there will be in the best interest of App for the long term.
Moose, we're always "all good". Never a need to qualify.

For me it's been almost 25 years since I was last on the WHS property. And even then it was limited to the one semester I coached at the school while at App.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:42 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Boone Goon wrote:I was in Boise last Fall for work and was able to get into the Boise State stadium. If you've not seen the evolution of their stadium it's worth a quick Wikipedia search. They're very much our "western cousin". While they've done a lot of great work to their stadium, its not something we should emulate. For all intent they still have their track. Similar to us, they put bleachers over top of one end zone. Because of this, their stands are still a long way from the field. I hope once we remove the track we're able to adjust the stadium in a way that we can get our fans closer to the action.

WOW - Boise stadium makes our distance from stands to the field look like nothing to fuss over.
The distance between their sideline and first row seems a lot more than KBS.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:07 pm

yosef13 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:

The distance between their sideline and first row seems a lot more than KBS.
Yes, that's what I meant to convey. That looks like 20 yards At Boise.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Gonzo wrote:... They shouldn't buy another roll of toilet paper for the athletics facility before they do so.
Obviously not someone that identifies as a female. ;)
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”