Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Tailgate Survey

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

Tailgate Survey

Unread post by moonshine » Tue May 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Got an email about a tailgate survey. Takes a few minutes.

https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketLand ... M_ID=21500
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

NO.2

Re: Tailgate Survey

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Survey wrote:7. Would you be interested in participating in a premium tailgating service that would consist of concierge service, tents, TV packages, tables with linens, chairs, coolers with ice and other amenities on Appalachian State's campus?

Where was the "Hell No" option? :lol:

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Tue May 02, 2017 12:31 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Survey wrote:7. Would you be interested in participating in a premium tailgating service that would consist of concierge service, tents, TV packages, tables with linens, chairs, coolers with ice and other amenities on Appalachian State's campus?

I can see how this would appeal to some, especially those who like to network and schmooze and such. Also those who have a lot of money lol. It's a good enough idea and if it raises additional revenue, go for it. Like the tailgating equivalent of club seating. Just not for me.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Depending on cost it may be worthwhile to do something like this for 1 game a year for us especially for a Thursday night game that can make it difficult to have a normal tailgate. Our group certainly couldn't afford it for multiple games.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Tue May 02, 2017 1:08 pm

JTApps1 wrote:Depending on cost it may be worthwhile to do something like this for 1 game a year for us especially for a Thursday night game that can make it difficult to have a normal tailgate. Our group certainly couldn't afford it for multiple games.
The Thursday night games would be a perfect time for something like this! We are all racing up the mountain from all over and not having to juggle food, beer, etc, would be a great help.

I've got to say, I appreciate DG and team doing these surveys. They're getting a sense for where the broader Yosef Club is on topics and not just the vocal minority or the big donors. Smart!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:55 pm

NO.2 wrote:

My exact response to this question....

8. You indicated that you would not be interested in a tailgate service. Please describe why this is something that would not appeal to you.

If I wanted this I would attend more Wake and UNC games. What made me fall in love with App State football games even at a young age was the traditional tailgate atmosphere present in Boone on gamedays.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Tue May 02, 2017 2:05 pm

Those of you that went to the Tennessee game last year could see this set up there. They had a field about the same size as the Duck Pond Field with individual tents, tables, chairs and satellite TVs. You could opt in for an additional charge to get food, drinks, catering services, etc. I think it makes sense for App to do this and I think there is definitely a crowd who would take advantage of it. I've said for a while Sanford mall would be a great spot to tailgate, as long as I didn't have to drag all of my stuff in and out...this opens up mid-campus tailgate spots!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue May 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Boone Goon wrote:Those of you that went to the Tennessee game last year could see this set up there. They had a field about the same size as the Duck Pond Field with individual tents, tables, chairs and satellite TVs. You could opt in for an additional charge to get food, drinks, catering services, etc. I think it makes sense for App to do this and I think there is definitely a crowd who would take advantage of it. I've said for a while Sanford mall would be a great spot to tailgate, as long as I didn't have to drag all of my stuff in and out...this opens up mid-campus tailgate spots!
One thing I suggested was to have 2 family zones with one being in Sanford Mall (and one on West side) and to offer more shuttles. However, I like your suggestion for using Sanford for this "tailgate service". This untapped green space is tailor made for tailgating and could ultimately turn into a nice revenue stream.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Tue May 02, 2017 2:41 pm

moonshine wrote:
Boone Goon wrote:Those of you that went to the Tennessee game last year could see this set up there. They had a field about the same size as the Duck Pond Field with individual tents, tables, chairs and satellite TVs. You could opt in for an additional charge to get food, drinks, catering services, etc. I think it makes sense for App to do this and I think there is definitely a crowd who would take advantage of it. I've said for a while Sanford mall would be a great spot to tailgate, as long as I didn't have to drag all of my stuff in and out...this opens up mid-campus tailgate spots!
One thing I suggested was to have 2 family zones with one being in Sanford Mall (and one on West side) and to offer more shuttles. However, I like your suggestion for using Sanford for this "tailgate service". This untapped green space is tailor made for tailgating and could ultimately turn into a nice revenue stream.
Ole Miss' The Grove meets The High Country!

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Tue May 02, 2017 2:45 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
NO.2 wrote:

My exact response to this question....

8. You indicated that you would not be interested in a tailgate service. Please describe why this is something that would not appeal to you.

If I wanted this I would attend more Wake and UNC games. What made me fall in love with App State football games even at a young age was the traditional tailgate atmosphere present in Boone on gamedays.

My note-Too corporate. I like the homegrown feel to App State Tailagte

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue May 02, 2017 3:05 pm

The toughest part about this idea, is that most on this board don't like change, and really enjoy that traditional aspect of tailgating, whether that be with picnic baskets or stick burning smokers. This might not be for the season ticket holding crowd, but more of the one-off folks who comes to games based on convenience. I have a hard time believing I'd ever consider this.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:11 pm

bigCasu wrote:The toughest part about this idea, is that most on this board don't like change, and really enjoy that traditional aspect of tailgating, whether that be with picnic baskets or stick burning smokers. This might not be for the season ticket holding crowd, but more of the one-off folks who comes to games based on convenience. I have a hard time believing I'd ever consider this.
I agree with this absolutely. This idea is really primarily valuable for the one game only crowd. Like others have said above, for the Miami, Wake, ECU type games this is probably a good add for alumni that only travel up the mountain once or twice a year.

Even going to away games, if I know a home fan who tailgates, I'd generally prefer to hangout in the parking lot than a tent. Generally speaking, it all depends on the fan base and tailgating. I tailgated with IPTAY folks in the RV lot a couple years ago at Clemson and really enjoyed that experience, but doubt I'll tailgate with any Holes in CH . . .
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:39 pm

We're a blue collar school with majority blue collar fan base, or at least blue collar mentality and adding the VIP tailgating, to me, is very hoity toity and that's not who we are in my opinion
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue May 02, 2017 9:28 pm

appaneer1984 wrote:We're a blue collar school with majority blue collar fan base, or at least blue collar mentality and adding the VIP tailgating, to me, is very hoity toity and that's not who we are in my opinion
DG is asking and not accepting the status quo. Perfect. Pushing the envelope. Awesome. I love the idea and if it improves the experience for some Im all for it. And it's never too corporate. This is a business and we finally have a CEO who knows how to run one. Ask, experiment and succeed. I see A mini-corporate village who invites customers!!! Do it Doug!!!!!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue May 02, 2017 9:43 pm

I won't take part in a VIP-style tailgating experience, but if it's a revenue-generator for the athletic department, they can go for it.

Another big point was the biggest detraction from the current tailgate scene question. I said the "can't drink more than 3.5 hours before kickoff in tailgating lots" rule because I believe it encourages students to binge drink. Relax the rule and many students will tailgate for 6-7 hours, bring food, not rush to drink and be more responsible. Some students will still rage 1-2 hours before kickoff, but it can be mitigated.

What I forgot to put is that I feel it also contributes to people leaving early once their buzz wears off in the stadium.

HBTApps

Unread post by HBTApps » Wed May 03, 2017 6:39 am

I think if it builds revenue that's great.
The idea someone said about having a family zone would be great. I along with many bring their little ones to all the games. Having a place for them to run around with other kids and maybe having a few activities for them would be a huge upgrade for us.

HBTApps

Unread post by HBTApps » Wed May 03, 2017 6:44 am

It would also be nice if they could figure out a daycare during the games. They could make it yosef club members only or charge what they want to justify it, many of us would pay it. Partner up with a third party, doesn't matter, but it would definitely help attendance and keep family's connected with the school during the years where travel is tough.
That 2-5 range is difficult to keep engaged for the entire game and especially difficult for all ages when it's extra cold or raining. I have a lot of friends that would make it to more games with something like this.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Wed May 03, 2017 6:46 am

Rekdiver wrote:
appaneer1984 wrote:We're a blue collar school with majority blue collar fan base, or at least blue collar mentality and adding the VIP tailgating, to me, is very hoity toity and that's not who we are in my opinion
DG is asking and not accepting the status quo. Perfect. Pushing the envelope. Awesome. I love the idea and if it improves the experience for some Im all for it. And it's never too corporate. This is a business and we finally have a CEO who knows how to run one. Ask, experiment and succeed. I see A mini-corporate village who invites customers!!! Do it Doug!!!!!!
I logged in just to thank this post

If the demand is there, do it. I don't think it's stuck up to have something like this, it's an option for folks who want something else. I personally would not be interested in this now, but who knows later in life. I say start off small, do it really well and expand as the demand grows. It's like lux boxes, just in another location, Great way to grow capacity while not having to expand facilities. Heck, do it in sofield during the cold months. Either way, I would not do it, but if the data suggests many would, who are we to say no to giving the people what they want while improving our ability to generate revenue.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:03 am

One thing I would like to see, that the survey prompted me to share, would be the ability to leave and reenter at/after halftime like at State and Clemson. Going out to snag a burger or another couple of beers is a nice touch mid game. Also I think it might help with the pregame binge drinking that T-Dog was discussing.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed May 03, 2017 9:47 am

MtnMan09 wrote:One thing I would like to see, that the survey prompted me to share, would be the ability to leave and reenter at/after halftime like at State and Clemson. Going out to snag a burger or another couple of beers is a nice touch mid game. Also I think it might help with the pregame binge drinking that T-Dog was discussing.
That would be good...I'm always running out of mini bottles................ :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”