Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Caruso transferring

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Re: Caruso transferring

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:13 am

bigCasu wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:And Moose, if I am not mistaken, it seems our coaches' philosophy is to rotate as many players as possible during the course of the game, whether we are way ahead or not? - Of course, QB has really not been one of those positions ---
Here is my exact point. You can never replicate the in game situation for a QB like you can any other position. The QB touches the ball every play, and must be on his game every single play.
And you just made the other point of getting the backup any in game reps whenever possible so they can be ready, just in case. I don't think anyone here is advocating putting a backup QB in when we're in a tight game just to get them reps. I believe most are saying if we're well up in the 4th does Taylor really need to still be in there or do you use that chance to get some live game reps for your backup, who has never seen live game reps, knowing that the next snap they could become the starter.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:24 am

Look at how many QB transfers there are all over the country - top programs as well - there is only one QB on the field at a time ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:06 pm

firemoose wrote:
bigCasu wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:And Moose, if I am not mistaken, it seems our coaches' philosophy is to rotate as many players as possible during the course of the game, whether we are way ahead or not? - Of course, QB has really not been one of those positions ---
Here is my exact point. You can never replicate the in game situation for a QB like you can any other position. The QB touches the ball every play, and must be on his game every single play.
And you just made the other point of getting the backup any in game reps whenever possible so they can be ready, just in case. I don't think anyone here is advocating putting a backup QB in when we're in a tight game just to get them reps. I believe most are saying if we're well up in the 4th does Taylor really need to still be in there or do you use that chance to get some live game reps for your backup, who has never seen live game reps, knowing that the next snap they could become the starter.
And what kind of reps is a backup getting when we are up enough to put said second string in the game? Its not like we are showing our hand, running complex plays or anything of the sort. The quality of the majority of the those repetitions are not very high. In this exact case, what did we gain by Caruso playing any number of snaps that he did play, besides, keeping the #1 off the field? Those snaps are obviously not going to pay off for Appalachian.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:13 pm

More than any other position, the QB is accustomed to being a leader. For a guy who was a start QB in High School to be recruited with full expectations of being the starting QB eventually (not a promise from the coach....his own expectation), it is really difficult to adjust to the idea of be stacked back and being a support player. It's hard for ANY player, but especially for a QB. When a kid like Caruso does everything asked of him (playing as backup, academics, etc.) and graduates early, I have no problem understanding the decision to go elsewhere and finish out his eligibility. I wish he were staying (for selfish reasons) but I hope Daniel has a great couple of years at Delaware.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:41 pm

firemoose wrote:
bigCasu wrote:
I won't go so far as to say I'm advocating that, but I do think it's worth considering if the coaches have a second QB they are reasonably confident in. I wouldn't do that against UGA or Wake. But the second game of the year is Savannah State. We could win that game with you or me playing QB. We know the backup is going to come in eventually, so instead of waiting until it's 49-0, maybe you do it when it's 14-0 (not necessarily permanently, but for a series of two). If he does well, you could take the same approach next week vs. Texas St. - tougher competition but still one we should win easily.

I'm not saying you do that when it's 17-14 late in the 3Q, nor if you simply don't think any backups are ready. But if you have a guy who seems like he can hold his own? We certainly wouldn't be the first school to take that approach.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:57 pm

bigCasu wrote:And what kind of reps is a backup getting when we are up enough to put said second string in the game? Its not like we are showing our hand, running complex plays or anything of the sort. The quality of the majority of the those repetitions are not very high. In this exact case, what did we gain by Caruso playing any number of snaps that he did play, besides, keeping the #1 off the field? Those snaps are obviously not going to pay off for Appalachian.
Because ANY live game reps against players that are not your teammates, where the speed is different, and where you are taking hits is better than having no live reps and only practicing where you're in the red jersey, not getting any hits, and where a touch is considered down. Even a little experience is better than no experience. And getting the starter off the field is important. How many times have starters been injured when a team was up big and fans say "why was he in there anyway"?

I'm out of this now. I'm glad to talk football with people who have actually played or coached the game. And especially those that have had that "last snap". I have the scars and a leg full of pins, screws, and a plate that runs the length of my left shin that says I know what it's like to be on the field. I wish JP the best and hope he brings a title to UD. Now the experts can take over from here.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Hell Moose, don't complain about a couple of "minor" injuries - You could be like me and played before we wore helmets --- :shock: :D :o
I do agree with you about your thoughts on QB play !!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:28 pm

I think the coaches did a pretty good job of getting Caruso on the field last year. Folks need to remember though that those easier games early in the season are not just used to get backups some reps, but that's when the starting QB gets a chance to get some reps throwing to new / young receivers. It's important to build that timing as well. I'll let SS decide how things should go.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:52 pm

It is nice that we are now in a position for our #2 guy to transfer to a top FCS and hopefully help them win a NC or at least compete for one. That just shows how far we have come in the last several years.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:35 pm

New article about JP Caruso with the blue hens.
http://delawarestatenews.net/sports/tra ... blue-hens/
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:15 am

Does anybody have any tangible read on JP's prospects of taking over the starting role for UD? I would really like to see him running the shiw for them.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:12 am

I'll say one thing about Mr. Caruso and, I'll admit that I didn't really know that much about him before, but from what I've been reading since his transfer about his work ethic...he's going to go far in life. I wish him all the best on the field at UD and later in his post-college life.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:17 am

Their starter does return so it should be an interesting competition.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Caruso is only a Jr. as far as eligibility. He stands a good chance of starting at some point.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Delaware has a new coach, so right now it's a complete toss up.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:18 pm

wan returning from back to back 4-7 seasons is not a lot to brag about. Seems like they needs some strong team leadership from someone used to winning.

JP looks like a good candidate to step in and take the reins to me. He will also be Rocco's guy not the dude picked by the coach that got fired.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:02 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:wan returning from back to back 4-7 seasons is not a lot to brag about. Seems like they needs some strong team leadership from someone used to winning.

JP looks like a good candidate to step in and take the reins to me. He will also be Rocco's guy not the dude picked by the coach that got fired.
My guess is that Rocco goes with the guy who performs best regardless of who recruited him.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:33 pm

I am just a fan speaking hypothetically. I heard a tappers talk radio dude in ATL the other day say "we are just having fun talking about teams so we can propose anything because we are not paid to deliver". So that is what I do on this board too.

If I am their coach I want to bring a stud leader in who is used to winning to drive my team. There will also be a bit of aura around the FCS guy that may help.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:14 pm

JP Caruso comes in, provides a spark, wins game and will probably be the starter for Delaware moving forward. Good Job JP!

http://www.wdel.com/news/facebook/video ... 6e3a5.html

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/spo ... 729121001/
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Glad he's having some success. He certainly has some wheels.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”