Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New video board

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Re: New video board

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Thanks, T Dog for the superb documentation.

As I posted three weeks ago, controlled blasting was always in the cards for this project. I visited campus with my family on a half-dozen occasions in '61-'62 before deciding to make App my college home. Conrad Stadium (now KBS) was under construction at that time and was quite literally being blasted out of a mountainside. More recently, it took a month of controlled blasting to make way for the Athletics Center construction. "Heavy duty" blasting will most definitely be an issue if/when any serious discussion of "lowering" the playing surface ever gets into the conversation between the AD and the Chancellor. The risk of damage to the foundations of the East and West Stands and the Athletics Center would be off the charts.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 am

Did they blast the track too?
:lol:
wile blast.jpg
wile blast.jpg (14.94 KiB) Viewed 6520 times

Unread post by 8993 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 am

Just an update:
I was able to make it out to KBS last evening and the gate at the top of the hill (where the block A garden is) was wide open! They should probably be locking that gate up once the workday is over, seeing as they have millions of dollars worth of equipment lying around the stadium that somebody could haul into a truck and drive away with.

Anyways, the ribbon boards are up on both sides of the stadium! They look great. I wish they stretched the entire length of both sides, but beggars can't be choosers.

The base of the new video board is coming along nicely. All three holes are fully dug out, with one being concreted in already. The other two are still in the works, as they are constantly sucking water out of both of them. I'd guess they would have those filled in with concrete within the next week or so. They haven't started disassembling the old video board just yet, but once they start pushing the new one into the sky, I'd bet they'd make that happen pretty quickly.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:32 am

Great pictures. Thank you!
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Brian Tracy said last night that this was the first time ever that this particular video board company has had to blast ... interesting from a company the size of Daktronics.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Since App has gone with the black block A moniker mostly, maybe its time to paint the field A black like the helmets

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:04 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:Brian Tracy said last night that this was the first time ever that this particular video board company has had to blast ... interesting from a company the size of Daktronics.
Title says it all.

http://www.geotimes.org/mar07/article.h ... ophen.html
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:16 pm

yosef95 wrote:Since App has gone with the black block A moniker mostly, maybe its time to paint the field A black like the helmets
As much as I like the white A I think black would work better on the field. The white always looks dirty with the black turf bits showing through. The black A would have a much cleaner look.
The mountains are calling and I must go

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:43 pm

I know I don't get a vote but I REALLY don't like the black A. I will keep all my white A gear for ever.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:32 pm

CheckYosef94 wrote:
yosef95 wrote:Since App has gone with the black block A moniker mostly, maybe its time to paint the field A black like the helmets
As much as I like the white A I think black would work better on the field. The white always looks dirty with the black turf bits showing through. The black A would have a much cleaner look.
White A would look better on black helmets, but unfortunately my Yosef Club donation isn't enough to have much say in the matter.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:16 am

8993 wrote:Just an update:
I was able to make it out to KBS last evening and the gate at the top of the hill (where the block A garden is) was wide open! They should probably be locking that gate up once the workday is over, seeing as they have millions of dollars worth of equipment lying around the stadium that somebody could haul into a truck and drive away with.

Anyways, the ribbon boards are up on both sides of the stadium! They look great. I wish they stretched the entire length of both sides, but beggars can't be choosers.

The base of the new video board is coming along nicely. All three holes are fully dug out, with one being concreted in already. The other two are still in the works, as they are constantly sucking water out of both of them. I'd guess they would have those filled in with concrete within the next week or so. They haven't started disassembling the old video board just yet, but once they start pushing the new one into the sky, I'd bet they'd make that happen pretty quickly.

Man' that's a lot of rebar in pic number three.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 am

Anyone hear what we're doing with the old ribbon boards? Reusing them elsewhere or selling/donating them for tax purposes?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:44 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
CheckYosef94 wrote:
White A would look better on black helmets, but unfortunately my Yosef Club donation isn't enough to have much say in the matter.
Having graduated in 07 I see the merits of both. I also didn't hate the "face in the mountain" Yosef. But Appalachian has moved forward into a different era and for its purpose I really like the black block A.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:26 am

APPdiesel wrote:Anyone hear what we're doing with the old ribbon boards? Reusing them elsewhere or selling/donating them for tax purposes?
The old ribbon boards and old scoreboard will both be sold for whatever salvage value they may have. The athletic department looked at a couple of things - putting the old video board on top of Owens or putting the old video board at the baseball field. Neither of those were feasible. Owens does not have the structural capacity to hold the old board. Updating the board and moving it to the baseball field would have been a six figure project. Add to that the fact that the old video board is about 10 years old. In the computer / technology world to which video boards belong that number might as well be 80 years old.

Lest any of you think that six figures to move a scoreboard should be "peanuts" in the athletics department's priorities, consider that field hockey has neither restroom facilities nor any sort of shelter at their field (talk about killing recruiting!). If a game is delayed because of lightning, the players and coaches go to their cars while the visiting team goes to their bus. The port-a-johns have been in place long enough that bees routinely build nests in them. Those six figures will ... and should ... go to fund a 1900 square foot locker room / meeting room facility for field hockey before they're spent on the old video board.

Of course, if folks would commit now to giving something through the Mountaineer Impact campaign, field hockey would get their locker room sooner rather than later.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:52 pm

The Athletic department had a Twitter vote on whether the Block A on top of the scoreboard should be white or black. Over 1,600 voted and by a sizable majority, the Block A will be white.

https://twitter.com/appstatesports/stat ... 8200239104

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:37 pm

T-Dog wrote:The Athletic department had a Twitter vote on whether the Block A on top of the scoreboard should be white or black. Over 1,600 voted and by a sizable majority, the Block A will be white.

https://twitter.com/appstatesports/stat ... 8200239104
"By a sizable majority" is what I love to see. Thanks for sharing T Dog

Appstate3481

Unread post by Appstate3481 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:20 pm

I like both block A's.. wouldn't of mattered if it was black or white I think it would of been gorgeous regardless!! Glad the white A will be on it tho matches the rest of the facilties! Black A will be around for a long time might as well get used to it! It's used as a recruiting tool and it's worked very well so far even tho that's not the main part of it just a small part but that stuff matters!!

Can't wait to see this beautiful board at The Rock!!

Go App

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:13 pm

Appstate3481 wrote:I like both block A's.. wouldn't of mattered if it was black or white I think it would of been gorgeous regardless!! Glad the white A will be on it tho matches the rest of the facilties! Black A will be around for a long time might as well get used to it! It's used as a recruiting tool and it's worked very well so far even tho that's not the main part of it just a small part but that stuff matters!!

Can't wait to see this beautiful board at The Rock!!

Go App
Is the black A really used as a recruiting tool? Uniforms, yes, but even then a white block A on a helmet would be a doubtful deciding factor.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:20 pm

Can't help but notice from the practice picture post in the WSJ article that the new board is gonna be huge- based partly on the current board in the background.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”