Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Way too early starters

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Re: Way too early starters

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Evans' roll is going to be as a slot WR/jet sweeper/RB/KR/out of the backfield pass catcher/whatever they need him to be. We are going to be using him where he practiced all last camp before Boyd/Upshaw were out. He will be the do all/everything guy. That's how it was in spring and I don't see anything causing that to change for now except he'll get a little more concentration at the slot with Lewis out for however long that takes but he'll be doing the rest as well. Only injuries will change that.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:46 pm

ericsaid wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:QB- Lamb
Rb1- Moore
RB2- Upshaw
WR1- Shaedon
WR2- Mock Adams
WR3- Evans
TE1- Reed
TE2- Nunn
LT- Vic Johnson
RT- Beau Nunn
LG- Gossett
RG- Chandler Greer
C- Macaulay
Trade Evans for Adams and I think you have it right. He needs to be on the field as much as possible.
I read that as WR2=outside and WR3=slot. I wouldn't expect Evans to be lined up on the outside in many two-receiver sets. Of course our WR depth charts have surprised me before.
I believe Evans needs to be lined up at both. Sure he has the size of a slot receiver but if he can school his route running to become a complete receiver, he could be dangerous anywhere they decide to put him. I personally would like to see a Deltron type role for him save for more routes being run.
I think you'll see that. In fact, I have a feeling Evans' emergence is part of the reason Hopkins decided to transfer.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:QB- Lamb
Rb1- Moore
RB2- Upshaw
WR1- Shaedon
WR2- Mock Adams
WR3- Evans
TE1- Reed
TE2- Nunn
LT- Vic Johnson
RT- Beau Nunn
LG- Gossett
RG- Chandler Greer
C- Macaulay
Trade Evans for Adams and I think you have it right. He needs to be on the field as much as possible.
I read that as WR2=outside and WR3=slot. I wouldn't expect Evans to be lined up on the outside in many two-receiver sets. Of course our WR depth charts have surprised me before.
I believe Evans needs to be lined up at both. Sure he has the size of a slot receiver but if he can school his route running to become a complete receiver, he could be dangerous anywhere they decide to put him. I personally would like to see a Deltron type role for him save for more routes being run.
I think you'll see that. In fact, I have a feeling Evans' emergence is part of the reason Hopkins decided to transfer.
I'm not sure I like that Deltron left. He, in my opinion, is more dangerous than both Evans and Meador's when used correctly. Meador's is a role playing type guy as he doesn't do anything exceptionally well, however he does make contested catches fairly easy. He isn't going to seperate from man to man coverage. Hopkins is too quick to not have utilized more in the underneath passing game to draw in linebackers. Evan's, while tough, isn't a quick twitch guy that will demand the same type of attention that Hopkins would have if used differently.

The problem against the P5 teams is that none of the skill position players can separate from their coverage very well, it showed up in 3 quarters plus overtime of Tennessee and against Miami for 4 quarters.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:12 pm

ericsaid wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
I'm not sure I like that Deltron left. He, in my opinion, is more dangerous than both Evans and Meador's when used correctly. Meador's is a role playing type guy as he doesn't do anything exceptionally well, however he does make contested catches fairly easy. He isn't going to seperate from man to man coverage. Hopkins is too quick to not have utilized more in the underneath passing game to draw in linebackers. Evan's, while tough, isn't a quick twitch guy that will demand the same type of attention that Hopkins would have if used differently.

The problem against the P5 teams is that none of the skill position players can separate from their coverage very well, it showed up in 3 quarters plus overtime of Tennessee and against Miami for 4 quarters.
I'm probably going to have to disagree with you on Hopkins, Evans, and Meadors. First, I would love to have all three. They are all playmakers with different skill sets. In my personal open that is just relying on my own two eyes; Hopkins while extremely fast is basically a one trick pony and that could be on the coaching staff for underutilizing him. Meadors is a big physical receiver that other teams have to take very seriously due to his catch radius which opens up the middle of the field. Now we come to Evans, yes youre right he is not as fast as Hopkins in straight line speed but his vision and lateral quickness I would dare say trumps Hopkins. Also and this is just my own personal observations Evans has that something special about him, a wiggle, a slippery player but man he just makes things happen. Again I'd love to have all three but if you make me choose two I personally am taking Meadors and Evans.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:39 pm

ericsaid wrote:I'm not sure I like that Deltron left. He, in my opinion, is more dangerous than both Evans and Meador's when used correctly. Meador's is a role playing type guy as he doesn't do anything exceptionally well, however he does make contested catches fairly easy. He isn't going to seperate from man to man coverage. Hopkins is too quick to not have utilized more in the underneath passing game to draw in linebackers. Evan's, while tough, isn't a quick twitch guy that will demand the same type of attention that Hopkins would have if used differently.

Just curious what you're basing your evaluation of Evans on. Hopkins was a 4.43 guy out of HS, Evans 4.48. Evans has more AP yards (814) after one year than Hopkins had after three (278). He's bigger and stronger than Hopkins was. But more importantly he had to move back to the 3rd RB roll last year due to the Boyd/Upshaw situations after practicing for most of fall camp in the slot position. We haven't even seen him fully in the multi-purpose role yet, which he's spent all spring and summer working on.

Hopkins left on his own terms. We didn't force him out. He decided he had been passed on the depth chart and wanted to go somewhere else to finish.

Call me crazy but we might want to actually see Evans in the roll/position Hopkins played in before passing judgement on what he can and can't do. I'm not saying he will or won't be better but we need to see it first before we know.
Last edited by firemoose on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:47 pm

And since people have brought up Evans' speed I thought it might be nice to re-post something from our max days I put in the S&C thread.
And I want to Edit this post to say one more thing before anyone decides to comment on it. I like Hopkins. Have even before he signed with us. Many of you don't know this but the young man paid his on way up here to watch the last Western Carolina game in the snow in 2013, after playing a game the night before. I was impressed with him then and had no issues with him ever. So there isn't any axe to grind or anything else at all. Just wanted to be clear that I was just pointing out facts in the previous post.
Last edited by firemoose on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks Moose - that's what I was thinking as well - wasn't Evans a track sprint champion? ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Have to go back to double check but I believe his 4X100 team won the Fl state title, he was 2nd in the 100, and 4th in the long jump in those same state championships. I know he won some 100m races in meets as well. I've got the info in my notes but have some other things going right now. I'll take a look back when I get a chance.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:47 pm

It makes one wonder where one gets some of his/her info? :?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASUBlack Diamond

Unread post by ASUBlack Diamond » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Can anyone tell me what happened to Deltron??---I liked that kid. I hate to hear that he left. Any update would be appreciated

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm not sure Hopkins caught five balls past the line of scrimmage. Maybe we didn't utilize him there enough, but Evans is a stud, excited to see him at WR.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:39 pm

ASUBlack Diamond wrote:Can anyone tell me what happened to Deltron??---I liked that kid. I hate to hear that he left. Any update would be appreciated
He decided to transfer. The thought is he saw writing on the wall about playing time. Kid is definitely a speedster, good kid, and plays with heart. I liked him a lot, but don't think we will miss a beat in the WR corps without him.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:21 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
ASUBlack Diamond wrote:Can anyone tell me what happened to Deltron??---I liked that kid. I hate to hear that he left. Any update would be appreciated
He decided to transfer. The thought is he saw writing on the wall about playing time. Kid is definitely a speedster, good kid, and plays with heart. I liked him a lot, but don't think we will miss a beat in the WR corps without him.
Agreed. I think this will be one of the best WR groups we've had in a long while. Satt was on the David Glenn show this week and mentioned Jalen Virgil as the guy to look out for, said he had the best spring of any WR. I think the younger guys, along with Meadors, if he stays healthy, could have a big year.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Agreed. I think this will be one of the best WR groups we've had in a long while. Satt was on the David Glenn show this week and mentioned Jalen Virgil as the guy to look out for, said he had the best spring of any WR. I think the younger guys, along with Meadors, if he stays healthy, could have a big year.[/quote]

I have been excited to see Virgil since the day we signed him. You read about his speed and then see he is listed at 6'2 210 and you can't help but dream about the havoc he can create for a defense.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 pm

I am very ready to see Virgil take the field. Judging from his physical attributes, 4.27 speed while measuring 6'2 210, along with the glowing reviews coaches have given him since fall camp last year, he should be a fun one to watch.

I'm not sure I agree with ericsaids analysis of Meadors. The guy, though not blessed with blazing speed, has the ability to get very good separation because he's a good route runner. His yard totals have increased every year and I think his last year should be his best, as long as the other receivers are as good as advertised and take some of the defensive focus off of him. I do feel bad for him a bit as he has been stuck with Lamb as his qb for his entire career. His deep threat ability isn't utilized as much as it could be because of Lambs lack of arm strength.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:02 am

Appdoggy wrote:I am very ready to see Virgil take the field. Judging from his physical attributes, 4.27 speed while measuring 6'2 210, along with the glowing reviews coaches have given him since fall camp last year, he should be a fun one to watch.

I'm not sure I agree with ericsaids analysis of Meadors. The guy, though not blessed with blazing speed, has the ability to get very good separation because he's a good route runner. His yard totals have increased every year and I think his last year should be his best, as long as the other receivers are as good as advertised and take some of the defensive focus off of him. I do feel bad for him a bit as he has been stuck with Lamb as his qb for his entire career. His deep threat ability isn't utilized as much as it could be because of Lambs lack of arm strength.
Let me add this about Meadors, that broken leg he suffered two years ago was nasty looking from afar. He meets my standard for being a tough guy and I was impressed with his play last year returning from that injury.

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:27 am

I do not feel bad one bit that we have had Lamb as QB for the last four years... he has been a part of some good football and a lot of wins.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:10 am

If our WR corps steps it up this year...and these posts are getting me excited about that prospect. If we can open up the field with an effective air attack...Moore could have a beast of a season.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:44 pm

firemoose wrote:
ericsaid wrote:I'm not sure I like that Deltron left. He, in my opinion, is more dangerous than both Evans and Meador's when used correctly. Meador's is a role playing type guy as he doesn't do anything exceptionally well, however he does make contested catches fairly easy. He isn't going to seperate from man to man coverage. Hopkins is too quick to not have utilized more in the underneath passing game to draw in linebackers. Evan's, while tough, isn't a quick twitch guy that will demand the same type of attention that Hopkins would have if used differently.

Just curious what you're basing your evaluation of Evans on. Hopkins was a 4.43 guy out of HS, Evans 4.48. Evans has more AP yards (814) after one year than Hopkins had after three (278). He's bigger and stronger than Hopkins was. But more importantly he had to move back to the 3rd RB roll last year due to the Boyd/Upshaw situations after practicing for most of fall camp in the slot position. We haven't even seen him fully in the multi-purpose role yet, which he's spent all spring and summer working on.

Hopkins left on his own terms. We didn't force him out. He decided he had been passed on the depth chart and wanted to go somewhere else to finish.

Call me crazy but we might want to actually see Evans in the roll/position Hopkins played in before passing judgement on what he can and can't do. I'm not saying he will or won't be better but we need to see it first before we know.
Hopkins physical traits were very much in the mold of a Darren Sproles type player. With short strides and quick feet he could easily change direction and given the chance, I think he could've been better suited to play in the slot more often. I understand Evans is extremely talented and likely a better all around football player, but this is a running team. Evans role should not be as a receiver because in my opinion, he won't be touching the ball enough.

In a nutshell, I believe Hopkins role could have been expanded to take advantage of an ability to separate. 40 yard dash times are straight ahead speed, the 3 cone would illustrate the point I am trying to make better. It's a moot point because as you mentioned, he is gone.

I personally believe Evans should be a 150 touch guy, though I doubt he gets anywhere close.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:15 pm

Just so you know their 3 cone numbers coming out of HS.

Hopkins: 4.03
Evans: 4.09

As I said given we haven't seen Evans in that role yet I'm going to withhold judgement on what he can or can't do. And I'm done discussing it now. Too many other things going on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”