Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

National take on Wake's season

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: National take on Wake's season

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:22 pm

App used to pack the house for the Wake game. Many times we had as many or more fans than Wake. I was there many times. Would they call it rivalry? I don't really care what they call it but it can again be a great series.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Here's another thing, back in the day...Western Carolina was our big rival and it was fun because you actually knew WCU people and could smack talk all day long...it was fun. The Georgia Southern rivalry has been great but I've only met, that I can remember, one GSU person and that was a brief encounter and the girl didn't really follow football so..I still talked some smack, but it wasn't the same since she didn't really care. I know many Wake people and they care about football and, if they win, I'll hear about it endlessly and vice versa...which makes it fun...I really hope this becomes a rivalry.

App74

Unread post by App74 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Call it a rivalry or not, full stadiums make a statement.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:36 pm

https://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/7/5/ ... c-football

Interesting statement in article, "Boston College and Appalachian State both made bowl games last year, but App should fall off a bit as they have a lot of attrition." While true we do have some attrition, writer doesn't seem to even consider the possibility that our replacements may be as good or better on average than the guys that graduated. If we can generally assume an across the board improvement in our level of recruiting during our FCS to FBS transition then that would be reasonable.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:28 am

AtlAppMan wrote:https://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/7/5/ ... c-football

Interesting statement in article, "Boston College and Appalachian State both made bowl games last year, but App should fall off a bit as they have a lot of attrition." While true we do have some attrition, writer doesn't seem to even consider the possibility that our replacements may be as good or better on average than the guys that graduated. If we can generally assume an across the board improvement in our level of recruiting during our FCS to FBS transition then that would be reasonable.
Note that the writer goes on to assign a .45 win percentage for WFU for that game, making it the only projected loss of that 4-game stretch. So I agree that the writer has some faulty assumptions about our incoming talent, but given they're hoping for a 3-1 record after that 4-game stretch and have us as the most likely loss, I think they're still giving App a significant amount of credit.

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:11 pm

Rick83 wrote:Here's another thing, back in the day...Western Carolina was our big rival and it was fun because you actually knew WCU people and could smack talk all day long...it was fun. The Georgia Southern rivalry has been great but I've only met, that I can remember, one GSU person and that was a brief encounter and the girl didn't really follow football so..I still talked some smack, but it wasn't the same since she didn't really care. I know many Wake people and they care about football and, if they win, I'll hear about it endlessly and vice versa...which makes it fun...I really hope this becomes a rivalry.
This is why I want so badly to create a rivalry with Charlotte or ECU. I grew up an NC State fan (dad went there back when they won their basketball NC) and coming in contact with someone wearing UNC clothes was all part of the fun. I'm a huge fan of in-state and regional rivalries.
The mountains are calling and I must go

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”