Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Remaining football parking

bigCasu
School: Appalachian State

Re: Remaining football parking

Unread post by bigCasu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:49 pm

EastHallApp wrote:I mean, regular old reserved and GA tickets have certainly not remained static in price. Wake is $60, every other game is $40. How much were those tickets five or 10 years ago? How much have season ticket prices increased?

If the rank-and-file folks can pay more every year even while there are plenty of empty seats most games, I think the premium seat owners can deal with an increase when there's a waiting list behind them.

I don't know East. Going up from $25 a ticket to 28, then 32, 35 and then 40 is different than going up several hundred dollars. I don't know what club seating costs at all, but I can't be too far off in assuming that its in that ballpark.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 pm

bigCasu wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:I mean, regular old reserved and GA tickets have certainly not remained static in price. Wake is $60, every other game is $40. How much were those tickets five or 10 years ago? How much have season ticket prices increased?

If the rank-and-file folks can pay more every year even while there are plenty of empty seats most games, I think the premium seat owners can deal with an increase when there's a waiting list behind them.

I don't know East. Going up from $25 a ticket to 28, then 32, 35 and then 40 is different than going up several hundred dollars. I don't know what club seating costs at all, but I can't be too far off in assuming that its in that ballpark.
But you just described a 60% increase over a few years. Now multiply that by 2x, 3x or 4x for people who bring their families. And multiply it a few more times for season ticket buyers. And these are mostly middle- and working-class fans, not those with the disposable income for premium seating and the YC donation that's a prerequisite for it.

Sure the dollar amounts are different for premium seating. But so are the customers. Otherwise they wouldn't be in those seats in the first place.

It just seems like basic supply and demand to me. You have one product (reserved/GA seating) for which you've raised prices repeatedly, and which has significant unsold inventory. You have another (premium seating) for which the price has remained flat and for which, if I understand correctly, you have a lengthy waiting list of potential buyers.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:06 am

EastHallApp wrote:
bigCasu wrote:

But you just described a 60% increase over a few years. Now multiply that by 2x, 3x or 4x for people who bring their families. And multiply it a few more times for season ticket buyers. And these are mostly middle- and working-class fans, not those with the disposable income for premium seating and the YC donation that's a prerequisite for it.

Sure the dollar amounts are different for premium seating. But so are the customers. Otherwise they wouldn't be in those seats in the first place.

It just seems like basic supply and demand to me. You have one product (reserved/GA seating) for which you've raised prices repeatedly, and which has significant unsold inventory. You have another (premium seating) for which the price has remained flat and for which, if I understand correctly, you have a lengthy waiting list of potential buyers.
I agree but you need to know if that backlog exists at a higher price which is not a difficult thing to determine. It is possible for demand to peak at a certain price level. With that said I totally see what you are saying. On the surface it does seem strange.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:17 am

bcoach wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
bigCasu wrote:

I agree but you need to know if that backlog exists at a higher price which is not a difficult thing to determine. It is possible for demand to peak at a certain price level. With that said I totally see what you are saying. On the surface it does seem strange.
I seem to recall an article last year stating there was a waiting list of over 100 individual requests for club-level seats. That tells me the demand is there.

Found it! See under club seat discussion: http://www.appstatesports.com/news/2016 ... 83601.aspx

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:18 am

bcoach wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
bigCasu wrote:

I seem to recall an article last year stating there was a waiting list of over 100 individual requests for club-level seats. That tells me the demand is there for the higher price.

Found it! See under club seat discussion: http://www.appstatesports.com/news/2016 ... 83601.aspx

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:38 pm

AppDawg wrote:
bcoach wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
bigCasu wrote:

I seem to recall an article last year stating there was a waiting list of over 100 individual requests for club-level seats. That tells me the demand is there for the higher price.

It may very well be, I can't say that it isn't but there is no price listed there. That means there is a list of 100 at today's price. that tells me there is that kind of demand at today's price. It is just valuable information to know if that 100 turns into 50 at a certain price. No argument just information you need to know in the decision process. I did find it interesting that I received an e-mail soliciting requests for club and boxes. That can only mean one thing. Either interest has dropped off ( I don't think so ) or they are doing the kind of homework I am talking about. I think the latter.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:58 pm

bcoach wrote: It may very well be, I can't say that it isn't but there is no price listed there. That means there is a list of 100 at today's price. that tells me there is that kind of demand at today's price. It is just valuable information to know if that 100 turns into 50 at a certain price. No argument just information you need to know in the decision process. I did find it interesting that I received an e-mail soliciting requests for club and boxes. That can only mean one thing. Either interest has dropped off ( I don't think so ) or they are doing the kind of homework I am talking about. I think the latter.
Oh, I have no doubt they're doing their homework now. The athletic administration is thorough and deliberate in decisions like this. I'm sure the goal will be to fill the seats with an effort at maximizing donations / seat price while maintaining constituent relationships as much as possible.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Perhaps also gauging interest to determine how large the market is for additional future premium seating.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:51 pm

That would certainly be part of a well done study.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:45 am

EastHallApp wrote:
bigCasu wrote:

There is a real possibility that people spent more than what they should have when these were first available, just to be the first to have them. For everyone, eventually the newness wears off, and its a good deal at current price, but wouldn't pay any more when the times comes for a contract renewal. If there are 100 on the waiting list now, what number do you expect to actually be interested if the opportunity exists to buy those seats?

GOAPPS37

Unread post by GOAPPS37 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:26 am

On April 4, 2009, I was invited to spend a Saturday at Owens Field House waiting for my number to be called to make my selection for the Club Seating. I was invited because I had given enough money over the years to the Yosef Club which put me in the top 200 donors. Let me first say, I am not a wealthy person but my passion has always been ASU football. I am 58 years old and I have been a Yosef Club member since 1998. I am not a Carolina Panther PSL owner, never been to a Charlotte Bobcat/Hornet game, do not play golf, nor hunt or fish. In the Fall, Mountaineer football is it!

On that Saturday in 2009 when my name was called, I sat down with Rick Beasley to select my 4 seats. I signed a five year commitment which cost me $2,000 ($500 per seat for the season). In 2014, I renewed for another 5 years at the same rate. In February of 2016, I was offered the choice of fulfilling my renewal agreement through the 2018 season at the $2,000 per year rate or "buying" a new 5 year renewal contract at the new rate of $3,000 per season, but this new agreement would go through the 2020 season. I chose the latter option because I didn't want to risk losing my seats after the 2018 season because of my point standing.

I fully understand that EVERYTHING is going to cost more as we get bigger games played at KBS, but my priority is ASU football and I for one will do all I can do to support this program. The problem I have is that there are many fans on Game Day who even tailgate with me that do not have a ticket for the game and will purchase from a scalper right before kickoff. Yes, they always come out much cheaper than most of us do whether you are a Club Seat owner, season ticket Reserved or General Admission but our program would benefit so much if these folks made a commitment to ASU football by becoming a season ticket holder. These folks are in Boone each Saturday anyway. They love APP football but not enough to invest in the program which I find puzzling.

GOAPPS37

Unread post by GOAPPS37 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:59 am

One other thing I wanted to add to my previous post is this. If I had chosen the first option...to keep my original agreement through the 2018 season at the $2,000 rate. I would have risked receiving a notice that my point standing had dropped to prevent me from renewing the Club Level thus not sitting in this section for the 2019 & 2020 seasons. If in fact, my point standing was still good enough to be in this section, I am confident I would see a new rate of possibly in the $3,500 -$4,000 range per season for my 4 seats.

For the young posters out there, time is on your side. Try to give to the Yosef Club now at the amount you can feel comfortable with and continue to give. When your job begins to pay you more, then give more to the YC. You will definitely reap the benefits down the road. That's why the system awards consecutive years of giving. For me, I feel that I have peaked in my giving but I will continue to give as much as I can because my passion IS ASU Athletics!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:25 am

bigCasu wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
bigCasu wrote:

There is a real possibility that people spent more than what they should have when these were first available, just to be the first to have them. For everyone, eventually the newness wears off, and its a good deal at current price, but wouldn't pay any more when the times comes for a contract renewal. If there are 100 on the waiting list now, what number do you expect to actually be interested if the opportunity exists to buy those seats?

I'm sure both of those things will happen in some cases. And that's OK. Maybe some of those people who decide not to renew their club seats will instead buy from the regular reserved seating pool - where, again, App has plenty of inventory available.

Plus, remember, whatever the waiting list for premium seating is, it's been amassed without ever offering them for public sale. What if App offered those seats like other stadiums do - those that aren't sold on a season basis to YC donors at a minimum level are offered up for public sale, either as season tickets or on a single-game basis? What do you think the demand would be then? Because right now only a small fraction of our customer base has even been offered a chance to buy them.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 am

EastHallApp wrote:
bigCasu wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
bigCasu wrote:

I'm sure both of those things will happen in some cases. And that's OK. Maybe some of those people who decide not to renew their club seats will instead buy from the regular reserved seating pool - where, again, App has plenty of inventory available.

Plus, remember, whatever the waiting list for premium seating is, it's been amassed without ever offering them for public sale. What if App offered those seats like other stadiums do - those that aren't sold on a season basis to YC donors at a minimum level are offered up for public sale, either as season tickets or on a single-game basis? What do you think the demand would be then? Because right now only a small fraction of our customer base has even been offered a chance to buy them.

Oh I'd know people that would gobble them up, but currently are "priced" out, but don't want to deal with hassle of reserved seating. Some want that space so kids can run around and be warm. Some want to purchase better concessions. People want them, but the price point is super important and not sure an increase helps.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:14 am

C, I don't doubt there are some people who would be priced out by an increase. Many are priced out already. I just prefer to deal with the empirical rather than anecdotal.

We've raised prices repeatedly on reserved/GA, and we aren't selling them all. (In fact our AD has been open about the fact that season ticket sales are well below what he'd like to see.) They even just created new parking tiers that make it less friendly for lower-level donors. Luxury seating pricing is the one thing that's stayed flat, and we have a waiting list without even offering them to the general public.

Is any solution going to please 100% of customers? No. But I think it's pretty clear what to do from an economic standpoint.

For the record, I hope the long-term solution to meet demand for luxury seating is to build more, not just keep raising prices on what we have now. I'd much rather make it more available to people who want it rather than just squeezing the current buyers harder.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:25 am

EastHallApp wrote:
We've raised prices repeatedly on reserved/GA, and we aren't selling them all. (In fact our AD has been open about the fact that season ticket sales are well below what he'd like to see.)
One of the answers is creating a culture in the high country that encourages everyone to come to games whether they're App alumni or not. Much of that has to do with engaging every single business in the high country. The new corporate packages are aimed precisely at that audience. I believe the current athletics administration is keenly aware of the branding and sales efforts needed to get us where we want to be. It's just going to take time ...
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:44 pm

EastHallApp wrote:C, I don't doubt there are some people who would be priced out by an increase. Many are priced out already. I just prefer to deal with the empirical rather than anecdotal.

We've raised prices repeatedly on reserved/GA, and we aren't selling them all. (In fact our AD has been open about the fact that season ticket sales are well below what he'd like to see.) They even just created new parking tiers that make it less friendly for lower-level donors. Luxury seating pricing is the one thing that's stayed flat, and we have a waiting list without even offering them to the general public.

Is any solution going to please 100% of customers? No. But I think it's pretty clear what to do from an economic standpoint.

For the record, I hope the long-term solution to meet demand for luxury seating is to build more, not just keep raising prices on what we have now. I'd much rather make it more available to people who want it rather than just squeezing the current buyers harder.
I'm all for building more club and luxury seating if the need is there, but the last thing I want is more visible club seating in the end zone that is empty. For years it seemed, the plan of attack for generating more funds was to ask more from those that already gave, versus generating new income. Once again, I'd love to have a new project in the works, but it seems its years down the road.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:49 pm

bigCasu wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:C, I don't doubt there are some people who would be priced out by an increase. Many are priced out already. I just prefer to deal with the empirical rather than anecdotal.

I'm all for building more club and luxury seating if the need is there, but the last thing I want is more visible club seating in the end zone that is empty. For years it seemed, the plan of attack for generating more funds was to ask more from those that already gave, versus generating new income. Once again, I'd love to have a new project in the works, but it seems its years down the road.

You know what would be great? If we knew how much it would actually cost for club seating. There may be hundred of accounts that are interested, but have no info about them. Let's make this a little bit more transparent instead of asking the fans to call those administrators for the price.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:54 pm

bigCasu wrote:
You know what would be great? If we knew how much it would actually cost for club seating. There may be hundred of accounts that are interested, but have no info about them. Let's make this a little bit more transparent instead of asking the fans to call those administrators for the price.

I'm with you 100% on that. Very difficult to find any info about those seats online.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:38 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
bigCasu wrote:

I'm with you 100% on that. Very difficult to find any info about those seats online.

We now know the current "new" price is $750 per seat.
Last edited by huskie3 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bring Your A Game!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”