Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SI.com ranks the CFB conferences

85gradinATL

SI.com ranks the CFB conferences

Unread post by 85gradinATL » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:32 pm

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: SI.com ranks the CFB conferences

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Great to see App carrying the conference but the comparison between SBC, CUSA and MAC seem to amortize multiple recent years rather than isolating to last year. Maybe that is a more fair comparison for predicting, I don't know. But that model favors MAC and CUSA over SBC. Only time will tell over next few years. The advantage given to MAC appears to be weighted on fact that that they had an undefeated Western Michigan and a previous NY6 school vs none for SBC and CUSA.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:20 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:Great to see App carrying the conference but the comparison between SBC, CUSA and MAC seem to amortize multiple recent years rather than isolating to last year. Maybe that is a more fair comparison for predicting, I don't know. But that model favors MAC and CUSA over SBC. Only time will tell over next few years. The advantage given to MAC appears to be weighted on fact that that they had an undefeated Western Michigan and a previous NY6 school vs none for SBC and CUSA.
Nah, there was no grand formula, they just did a shitty job.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:37 pm

Pretty fair assessment. This conference is less about who is at the top, and more about who is at the bottom.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Good lord the mac and mountain west TV deal makes us look like Tiny Tim.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:30 pm

What? I thought the Sunbelt (which I hadn't heard of before learning we were joining) was FAR more powerful. This is obviously an opinion piece. :)

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:02 pm

I don't think this is unfair. Based on their stated criteria, the only conference we have a case for being ahead of is CUSA. Western Michigan buoyed an otherwise-just-okay MAC. If we (or Troy or stAte) have a truly special season, we can climb a good bit, but our basement will keep dragging us down until ULM, TxSt, etc get things back on track.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:26 pm

It is hard to argue with this assessment. This goes back to a couple of my previous statements. We have an FCS team entering again and we could have used a strong GS. We as a conference have not proven much over the time period outlined. Hopefully GS will come back, Texas State will improve and GA STATE will prove that they really do belong in FBS which they have not done up to this point. What will Coastal do? One or two teams do not a strong conference make.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:51 pm

bcoach wrote:It is hard to argue with this assessment. This goes back to a couple of my previous statements. We have an FCS team entering again and we could have used a strong GS. We as a conference have not proven much over the time period outlined. Hopefully GS will come back, Texas State will improve and GA STATE will prove that they really do belong in FBS which they have not done up to this point. What will Coastal do? One or two teams do not a strong conference make.
Then maybe we should send refunds of the playoff dollars we received this year to other conferences that failed last year but have been more successful in years past. Really, what can the measurement of current conference strength be...other than most recent?

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:01 pm

I think it's a fair assessment. We all know how great we are, but it's a testament to how bad the conference has been that an FCS team can come in and dominate like we have. I do think it's on an upward trend though, and far better than where it was when we came on.
YNWA

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:31 pm

It's true the bottom of the SBC is putrid, you can say the same about CUSA and the MAC.

Plus, last time I checked, that awful Texas State team beat a MAC division winner, and a USA team that was 2-6 in the Belt beat Miss. St. and blew out the Mountain West champion.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:55 pm

As far as we're concerned, "what are we prepared to do", take care of our schedule/business and things will fall into place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09ePHx5ozo

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:02 pm

bigCasu wrote:Pretty fair assessment. This conference is less about who is at the top, and more about who is at the bottom.
Then we should be in good graces for every sport other than than football.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”