Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Appalachian State still haunts Michigan Fans

CheckYosef94
School: Appalachian State

Appalachian State still haunts Michigan Fans

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:06 pm

So I work as an adventure guide at a resort in Colorado and today I had two different couples that happened to sign up for a UTV tour with me. I was doing my usual job checking drivers licenses and happened to see that one guy was from Michigan. I said something like, "Oh so you're from Michigan?" He said yes and before I could say anything else the guy in the other couple said, " Are you Go Blue or are you a Spartan?" He said look at my helmet as he pointed to his blue helmet. Turns out they were both Michigan grads. At this point I spoke up and said, "I graduated from Appalachian State!" The collective groan proved to me that there is still a sore spot.
The mountains are calling and I must go

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: Appalachian State still haunts Michigan Fans

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Funny you bring this up today as I had a Michigan story yesterday.

I was wanting a sleeved house flag for each school my daughters are attending. I have been spending hours getting a house flag for Meredith. A block "A" was easy and Davidson sells a flag like I wanted as well, but Meredith did not sell a two-sided flag except for a small garden flag. After countless hours trying to find a suitable Meredith flag, I track down someone that sells the flags through his NC State fan store. I mentioned Appalachian, and he said he was the first person to have a t-shirt out the night of the Michigan win that was officially licensed. At one point he had licenses for about 50 schools but seems to have scaled back. The way he said it it sounded like he had $ in his eyes.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

dmarmins
School: Georgia State

Unread post by dmarmins » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:10 am

In the book about the game, we quote Michigan's Terrance Taylor as saying it is the worst loss in Michigan sports history. As I travelled around researching the book on the game, or whenever I saw a Michigan fan - at an airport, etc.. - I would try to ask what their worst memory of Michigan sports was, and every time the immediate answer is identical - App State winning in the Big House (which bothers them the most). If you say App State to almost anyone, Michigan is the next word out of their mouth.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:10 am

dmarmins wrote:In the book about the game, we quote Michigan's Terrance Taylor as saying it is the worst loss in Michigan sports history. As I travelled around researching the book on the game, or whenever I saw a Michigan fan - at an airport, etc.. - I would try to ask what their worst memory of Michigan sports was, and every time the immediate answer is identical - App State winning in the Big House (which bothers them the most). If you say App State to almost anyone, Michigan is the next word out of their mouth.
Even though we were FCS and they were royalty in FBS by being ranked 5th in the nation, I never felt like it was truly the biggest upset in NCAA football history and maybe not even Michigan's worst loss in their history due to the fact we were defending National FCS Champions. It's not like we were WCU in FCS. Having said that, I don't know exactly what would have been the worst loss.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

dmarmins
School: Georgia State

Unread post by dmarmins » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 am

Well, the more recent Michigan State game certainly ranks up there. And, yes, part of the reason the Michigan game was not a fluke (although still the biggest college football upset because of the scholarship difference, overall size, etc...) is because these coaches recruited and trained up a group of fast kids with tons of character who did special things for 3 years in a row. They were winners and, as Coach Moore kept telling them, Michigan had no idea what was coming.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:08 pm

IMO, Michigan's worst loss came the the following year to Toledo.

At least the App loss could be considered a one-off fluke loss to the defending FCS champ. But coming on the heels of that loss, to then fall to a local school from a conference they hadnt lost to in 50 years and who is only FBS because Michigan and Ohio State wanted a pushovers to beat back in the 80s. That must have been a dagger to the heart of Michigan fans.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:19 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:IMO, Michigan's worst loss came the the following year to Toledo.

At least the App loss could be considered a one-off fluke loss to the defending FCS champ. But coming on the heels of that loss, to then fall to a local school from a conference they hadnt lost to in 50 years and who is only FBS because Michigan and Ohio State wanted a pushovers to beat back in the 80s. That must have been a dagger to the heart of Michigan fans.
Possibly, but that season they weren't pre-season #5 with several seniors deciding to come back to school instead of going pro for the definitive purpose of winning the national championship which slipped out of their hands the year before being 10-0 and losing at Ohio State 42-39 ---
As the headline of the Ann Arbor paper said the day after our victory - ONE AND DONE -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 am

Can confirm.

I'm an avid USMNT fan and go to pretty much any match on the east coast. Anywhere I go, my ASU tailgate tent follows. My favorite part of every trip (especially Columbus, DC, and Nashville) is the amount of free drinks I get from OSU fans. Every tailgate, never fails. I'll have 8-10 interactions with OSU fans walking up to the tailgate thanking us for beating Michigan or Michigan fans telling me how bad it still hurts. I honestly didn't realize how much that game put Boone, NC on a map, nationally speaking.

Jacksonville is fun too, just because you get a lot of Stink fans that like to talk smack. They haven't had too much material in recent years

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:27 am

I actually ran into a Michigan alumnus while I was on vacation in Hong Kong in 2013. Both of us were wearing tshirts from our respective schools and although we briefly talked about the game he did not want to pose for a picture. lol

Mountaineer

Unread post by Mountaineer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:46 pm

I work at Michigan where I proudly display my "34-32" poster at my desk. I've had quite a few upset Wolverines notice it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”