Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Announcement?

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Announcement?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:47 pm

As far as alternate uniforms - yes, there are a few schools who have been powers for 100 years that haven't done them, but they're the exceptions. FSU, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Miami etc. have all worn alternates, not to mention most of the non-blue-bloods (which, sorry to say, includes us).

I'm not saying you have to like them. But I will say this - compared to what a lot of teams do, our alternate unis have been fairly reserved. Other than the "Always Attack" ones from a few years back, they've just been the same basic design as the regular unis, but with the colors inverted or switched around. No chrome helmets, no quasi-futuristic fonts, no non-school-colors, no giant alternate helmet decals... just mixing up the combinations of black, gold and white.

If you're in the traditionalist camp (and for the most part, I am), just know it could be a lot worse.

S.Lewis15

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:21 pm

To be considered a traditionalist school as far as uniforms go, I think we'd have to have worn the same uniforms since the 1960s, like Alabama and Penn State have. Alone, we wore 11 different helmets between 1960 and 1994. Alabama over that same time period wore 4. I'm fine with alternates as long as we wear all black against rivals.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:27 pm

S.Lewis15 wrote:To be considered a traditionalist school as far as uniforms go, I think we'd have to have worn the same uniforms since the 1960s, like Alabama and Penn State have. Alone, we wore 11 different helmets between 1960 and 1994. Alabama over that same time period wore 4. I'm fine with alternates as long as we wear all black against rivals.

That 83-88 design is my favorite.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:41 pm

You know, I might as well go ahead and say this, even though some may consider it sacrilege: That snow-capped A helmet is fugly, and so are all the ones before it.

Sorry elder statesmen.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:55 pm

EastHallApp wrote:You know, I might as well go ahead and say this, even though some may consider it sacrilege: That snow-capped A helmet is fugly, and so are all the ones before it.

Sorry elder statesmen.
And I'd agree. All those golden helmets are giving me Wofford Vibes. We got a classy look going on as long as we always keep the "A"

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:14 pm

It is funny how many have complained over the past few years about the "new" people (players, AD's, etc) not honoring App's traditions, but from 1928 until Mack arrived in 83' our colors were Old Gold and Black, just as the helmets show. I may not be as elder a statesman as many on here but since I was born and raised in Boone and started going to games as an infant back in the Messer era, and grew up in Jim Brakefield's time, I've been to a lot of games which we were wearing our original 55 year tradition of Old Gold. Traditions sometimes only go back as far as when some first came to App. ;)

However, even though I grew up with Yosef on the helmet and the Jug is from my family, I prefer the Block A now. Like everything else it's a personal preference.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:29 pm

firemoose wrote:It is funny how many have complained over the past few years about the "new" people (players, AD's, etc) not honoring App's traditions, but from 1928 until Mack arrived in 83' our colors were Old Gold and Black, just as the helmets show. I may not be as elder a statesman as many on here but since I was born and raised in Boone and started going to games as an infant back in the Messer era, and grew up in Jim Brakefield's time, I've been to a lot of games which we were wearing our original 55 year tradition of Old Gold. Seems some people's "traditions" only go back as far as when they showed up at App. ;)
Very true, myself included.

Then again, "traditional" isn't a synonym for "good." Little else about App's football program, or university overall, looks like it did 40 years ago. So why should the uniforms?

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:38 pm

No doubt things change. We've nearly always been good all the way back to the early 30's but Boone/App is most definitely not the same as it was back then nor is it the same as it was when I grew up here in the 70's-80's. Not even close. You quoted me before I went back and edited the post to add that last line that's there now. Shows that some of us can adapt to change... :D

WVAppsfan

Unread post by WVAppsfan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:37 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
S.Lewis15 wrote:To be considered a traditionalist school as far as uniforms go, I think we'd have to have worn the same uniforms since the 1960s, like Alabama and Penn State have. Alone, we wore 11 different helmets between 1960 and 1994. Alabama over that same time period wore 4. I'm fine with alternates as long as we wear all black against rivals.

You beat me to the punch, I was going to post that was my favorite one as well. I agree with you.
"Always give your all"

bh2oson

Unread post by bh2oson » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:50 am

WVAppsfan wrote:

You beat me to the punch, I was going to post that was my favorite one as well. I agree with you.

I like it too. I use it as my avatar. Of course I was in school from 85-89 so that was the first helmet I knew. :D
bh2oson aka Bill Waterson

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:23 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

There will be a lot of aluminum showing at the opening kickoff. And I agree with picking a different game. For that matter, I think they should have picked a different game to honor '07.
I get what you're saying but don't you think that they picked that game to honor the '07 team because it's our weakest opponent coming to Boone with not even conference implications? So the game is not going to draw people up there (except for the hard-core) so add something big for the fans to enjoy and be a part of. It's an experience that they're selling/marketing. There are only 6 Saturdays to work with and they want to maximize not just the attendance level but also the quality of the experience, it'll actually be perfect if we pull off the upset at UGA. So to me, it makes sense...
What's the experience though? We've seen the all yellow uniform look at home before. I doubt they will be handing out free shirts so you have to buy one. Sounds like a normal football Saturday in Boone to me.
The added experience I was referring to was honoring the '07 team at that first game...not the "Gold Out"...although I don't really have a problem with even that except that they "over-teased" the importance of the announcement and also that they should have called it the "Gold Rush" instead. I wouldn't miss the day of honoring that '07 team even if we were playing Wautaga High School JV team. There's not much I can find to criticize our current athletic department for...they are doing a helluva job up there IMO.
I'll be there and I look forward to it also. But how many people who otherwise wouldn't come will do so because of that ceremony? I doubt many. I'd rather them do it during a big game when the atmosphere will be live already. Can you imagine what it would be like to bring that team out at halftime vs. Wake, or on national TV vs. GS?
I totally get what you're saying but I feel like if someone is on the fence about driving up for the SSU game but see a chance to cheer one more time for the '07 team...it might just push them over to make the drive. I wouldn't pick the Wake game as time to honor that team because it's going to be loud and crazy already...now the GS game being a Thursday night game making it challenging to get to the game could add to the draw plus the national TV audience I'd agree with that choice as well.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:58 am

Regarding the honoring of the '07 game, if Armanti isn't able to physically be there because of his Argos commitment, I hope they arrange for him to be video skyped in on the mega video board or something...that would be awesome.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:34 pm

'07 grad. All I ever knew was the uni we wore in the early/mid 2000s and white block A but I tell you, I think the unis we have now are the best looking ones we've ever worn. I love the black block A. I don't see the need to change it and constantly alternate, I like having some normalcy. But I'll say this, I think we needed an image change for the FBS transition. The change ushered in a new era.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 am

WVAppsfan wrote:

I liked the overall design of the 83 - 88 helmets IF they would replace the sanitized Yosef with a true Victory / Vintage Yosef. that version of Yosef was created by the PC folks who wanted to "clean up" our image. It just looks like a dude with a beard and hat. No character at all.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Being a '70's alumnus I'm always partial to the gold helmet and old school Yosef. That being said I also understand current branding becoming more contemporary. The brand that is most recognizable is the Block A on the black helmet, IMO. Case in point: is was behind a small SUV this past weekend and from about 4 car lengths away I could make out a 4" tall block A.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:22 pm

I actually miss the helmet stickers.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:05 pm

My favorite is 77-79. Understand the whole branding marketing thing, progress stuff. It seems some schools decide their color / logo / pattern is their identity and are not going to deviate to far from it. Others have recently determined their identity is to change uniforms & color combinations as often as they change underwear. (Sports teams look identity). We voted for white block A over black. The white A is tradition/the new traditional? Due to demand for traditional / old Yosef that is now part of the logo group. I would not be surprised to see old gold if some type of use were to be voted on. my 1st ASU game was at Lenor Rhine, when the Mountaineers took the field in those gold helmets my love affair began and my heart still throbs for old gold. I also love black with white A. I feel a little guilty saying that.... Don't tell old gold.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 am

Not a huge fan of Yosef on the helmet mainly because if that's what we go with for a national televised game the announcers would butcher it and make us sound stupid. I just think the black helmet with the white block A is bad ass. But if uniform and helmet combos translate into W's because 18-22 year olds dig them then I'm a fan!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”