Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

My honest outsiders view of this App State team

AppStateNews
School: Appalachian State

Re: My honest outsiders view of this App State team

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 am

Quoted directly from the original post...
JustVisiting wrote:-- QB #11 Taylor Lamb: He's a veteran and I'm sure he'll be up for this game with all of his Georgia ties, but this guy shouldn't concern UGA at all. He is a very average runner in an zone read offense and he really struggles to push the ball down the field in the few instances per game that they try to do so. You have to make him throw the football down the field.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

JustVisiting
School: Georgia

Unread post by JustVisiting » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:10 am

AppStateNews wrote:Quoted directly from the original post...
JustVisiting wrote:-- QB #11 Taylor Lamb: He's a veteran and I'm sure he'll be up for this game with all of his Georgia ties, but this guy shouldn't concern UGA at all. He is a very average runner in an zone read offense and he really struggles to push the ball down the field in the few instances per game that they try to do so. You have to make him throw the football down the field.
He's not a Peyton Manning statue and he's more athletic than Jacob Eason for sure, but he's not the style of QB you expect to hurt you in a zone read type of offense. If you don't respect him then he can get first downs, but Lamb is not an explosive athlete that will concern many teams. That was my point.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:15 am

Games are played on the field and not on paper. Paper does not show the heart, desire and the intestinal fortitude.....guts......a player has. We ll see on 9/2 which team has more. The number of stars by a player's name means nothing at crunch time.

JustVisiting

Unread post by JustVisiting » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:18 am

WataugaMan wrote:
JustVisiting wrote:
GreatAppSt wrote:
JustVisiting wrote:I'm a Dawg fan who went back and watched your game's against Tennessee and Miami from a year ago. I admittedly didn't watch any games other than those two, but I wanted to post my impressions here and see how much you guys may agree or disagree with what I saw.

Here's my post from a Georgia forum:

What forum? I'd like to see any responses please?
It's a premium forum that you won't be able to read the responses to unfortunately.

For the most part Notre Dame is getting all of the discussion on the Georgia sites. That game is the most expensive ticket in college football right now on Stubhub.

I think the general mood on the Georgia side is that they should beat App State, but it might be close for a while. People see that ASU name and they're immediately going to think of Michigan, so there's always that doubt back there. Fortunately as a Dawg fan, this Mountaineer offense doesn't have anyone close to the level of Armanti Edwards.
Hopefully your team has the same line of thinking.
I'm honestly not trying to disparage Appalachian State in any way, I'm just giving the general feel of the UGA boards and then my opinion as well. I hope it's not coming across in that manner. Every team has shortcomings (lord knows UGA does) and I wanted to know if any of you saw the same things did.

I can't lie and say that I didn't feel better after watching the Tennessee and Miami games. I think that your strength (running the football) matches up with Georgia's strength which is on defense and it eased my mind a little.

JustVisiting

Unread post by JustVisiting » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:20 am

appstate77 wrote:Games are played on the field and not on paper. Paper does not show the heart, desire and the intestinal fortitude.....guts......a player has. We ll see on 9/2 which team has more. The number of stars by a player's name means nothing at crunch time.
While true to an extent, talent matters. You can have the most heart and guts of any guy around, but physical ability counts.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:45 am

"For the most part Notre Dame is getting all of the discussion on the Georgia sites."

"I think the general mood on the Georgia side is that they should beat App State, but it might be close for a while."

"Fortunately as a Dawg fan, this Mountaineer offense doesn't have anyone close to the level of Armanti Edwards."

Once again, hopefully your team has that same mindset.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:52 am

As an App alum and die hard fan who was raised a Georgia fan (father and most of my relatives graduated from UGA), I've been waiting for this game for a very long time. Both teams have offensive questions to be answered that will have major impacts on how this game plays out. Georgia's D is outstanding and I'm concerned about our ability to move the ball consistently. The variable here is whether our WR unit shows the improvement that many (including myself) are hoping to see. They will be more experienced than last year (a transition year following the graduation of an unbelievable WR class) and should have better speed as a unit. Last year Meadors had more trouble getting open down field because he was really our only legit down field threat. If some of the young speed this year can give him some company, our ability to stretch the field (like we did in 2015) will make a big difference.

I don't doubt Eason's talent, but he struggled last year because he was a true freshman QB playing behind a BAD OL (by SEC standards). Georgia has a monster recruiting class at OL but the experience they have returning is their Achilles heel. If Georgia continues to struggle protecting Eason and App can get pressure, we have a game on our hand! If the Georgia OL has improved significantly and controls the line of scrimmage, it will be a long day for the Apps because stopping the Chubb/Michel combined with Eason having time to throw will be hard for ANYONE to stop.

Nobody is staying that App SHOULD win this game, but I firmly believe we an play Georgia tough and absolutely COULD win the game. I expect a defensive game, so honestly 17 points wouldn't be bad. I do think Georgia (including the OP) underestimate the one/two RB punch that App will bring. Call it a triple option or an "option read" or whatever....Georgia has a history of stumbling against option teams.

I can't wait for September 2nd!
GO APPS!!!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:53 am

appstate77 wrote:Games are played on the field and not on paper. Paper does not show the heart, desire and the intestinal fortitude.....guts......a player has. We ll see on 9/2 which team has more. The number of stars by a player's name means nothing at crunch time.
Ehhh

I think the paper shows him as an effective and efficient passer who get huge first downs with his legs whenever the situation calls for it. It also shows him to be one of the winningest QB in the FBS.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:53 am

double post :oops:
Last edited by GreatAppSt on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:54 am

JustVisiting wrote: What forum? I'd like to see any responses please?

It's a premium forum that you won't be able to read the responses to unfortunately.

I half expected this type of response. Some of us may actually be able to scrape together enough deer skins and beaver pelts to pay a premium just for kicks before a game, ya know. It sounds though this "mysterious forum" may just be a place that discusses Double secret probation and the like.

Bring it out into the light, Just Visit, what forum?? :D Is this you Kirby?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:22 am

AppStateNews wrote:Quoted directly from the original post...
Knew I should have gone back and read the OP before I responded... especially since I think I actually disagreed with that same point earlier. :lol:

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:27 pm

JustVisiting wrote: He's not a Peyton Manning statue and he's more athletic than Jacob Eason for sure, but he's not the style of QB you expect to hurt you in a zone read type of offense. If you don't respect him then he can get first downs, but Lamb is not an explosive athlete that will concern many teams. That was my point.
Thats fair that he isn't a Peyton manning or a Jacon Eason. But, the reason he does hurt you with the zone read is because he is so smart and our misdirection with motion. Add in a few draws and counters, and your front 7 will have to second guess everything on the runs. Lamb reads this all very well and only keeps it when the read is there. When he does keep it, it means the oline was blown up (very rare) from the get go or the front 7 are all going after the RB or motion man. He will not outrun many LBs or secondary head to head. But, if the read gives him a step advantage (and it does since he reads it so well), he is athletic enough to gain a lot of yards.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:25 pm

One of the keys will be the UGA O-line. They weren't great last year and have to replace at least 2 starters, likely with highly recruited freshmen. I expect the small quick APP 3-4 will cause some confusion for the UGA line and that their best bet will be straight ahead power running with their huge linemen and really good RB's. If App can show the running game without putting 8 in the box they should fair well. If they have to stack against the run, Eason could have a big day. Hopefully a lot of what worked against UT will work against UGA as there are some similarities in their offenses. And hopefully Apps WR's can catch the ball when they have the opportunities.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”