Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Playoffs or bowl game?

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Playoffs or bowl game?

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:29 am

Let's say (just theoretically) that at the FBS level the NCAA institutes a 16 team playoff- I know it ain't happening but "what if". Under this scenario App gets a bid but, based on us being in the lowest ranked conference and also based on a relatively low SOS we are given the number 16 slot and we have to play a team like Alabama in round one with a strong potential of getting blown out. The other option would be mid tier bowl game against a solid P5 team. What would we rather do?

CVAPP

Re: Playoffs or bowl game?

Unread post by CVAPP » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:33 am

Bowl. I am not missing living life week to week during the holiday season. Been there, done that.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:40 am

Would have to dance if invited. Just being there would be one of our football program's greatest accomplishments.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:08 am

Playoff, the ball is oddly shaped and can take some pretty funny bounces sometimes. Anyone, anywhere, anytime right?
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:20 am

Playoff for sure. Alabama would not be focused on us at all...get a few lucky breaks anything can happen. I'd have to believe it'd help with recruiting to be able to play on that stage.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:56 am

I'll take a 10 team playoff, we'd be the 7 or 8 seed playing either the weakest P5 or strongest G5 champ with a good chance to win either in round 1.

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:56 am

We have Georgia first......

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:58 am

Playoff.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:00 am

Playoff.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:03 am

Under the same scenario (just for the sake of discussion) let's say that we get throttled by Alabama in the first round which leads the national talking heads to say crap like- "see what happens when you open the playoffs to G5's!" I personally vote for playoffs. Kind of like March Madness. Rather be dancing as a 16 seed instead of a top seed in the NIT.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:18 am

bigdaddyg wrote:Under the same scenario (just for the sake of discussion) let's say that we get throttled by Alabama in the first round which leads the national talking heads to say crap like- "see what happens when you open the playoffs to G5's!" I personally vote for playoffs. Kind of like March Madness. Rather be dancing as a 16 seed instead of a top seed in the NIT.
Results of the six semifinal games that have been played in CFP history:

Oregon 59, Florida State 20
Ohio State 42, Alabama 35
Clemson 37, Oklahoma 17
Alabama 38, Michigan St. 0
Clemson 31, Ohio State 0
Alabama 24, Washington 7

I'm not sure the G5s could do much worse than that in terms of staging competitive games. Plus, if the bottom five seeds were G5 champions and four got blown out, I'm pretty sure the one that played tough or scored an upset would be the much bigger story.

It would be like the NCAA basketball tournament - people are willing to accept a bunch of 1st round blowouts because it's so exciting when one of the underdogs does pull an upset, or even comes close.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Take it one step further. Under this scenario APP gets the 16 seed based solely off of a tremendous undefeated season- bid not given because of a pre-determined format allowing the top G5 team. We basically have a Western Michigan type regular season. This scenario of course assumes 16 teams so we earned the bid straight up. The flip side would be that we ended the season 13-0 including the SB conference championship so we would also be in line for a New Years Day bowl. A lot of wild assumptions but whatever, 3 days to go!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 am

bigdaddyg wrote:Under the same scenario (just for the sake of discussion) let's say that we get throttled by Alabama in the first round which leads the national talking heads to say crap like- "see what happens when you open the playoffs to G5's!" I personally vote for playoffs. Kind of like March Madness. Rather be dancing as a 16 seed instead of a top seed in the NIT.
It's an interesting discussion and I wonder, if there was an expanded playoff such as this if it would allow the G5s to recruit stronger players? At least for the stronger G5 programs.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:35 am

If the playoffs were expanded to 16 teams with all of the G5 conference champs invited, I wouldn't think we would automatically be the 16 seed based on conference, so I'm not sure I buy that premise. Even if we were, I'd take the playoffs over a bowl. BigDaddy already said what I was thinking......it would be like turning down a bid to the NCAA Basketball playoffs so that you could "win" more in the NIT. Nobody does that.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:17 pm

CVAPP wrote:Bowl. I am not missing living life week to week during the holiday season. Been there, done that.
I agree. I like the bowl system, and want it to remain in place as long as possible.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Playoff. Always want to play the best teams possible.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:29 pm

Playoff without a doubt.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:44 pm

AppinVA wrote:
CVAPP wrote:Bowl. I am not missing living life week to week during the holiday season. Been there, done that.
I agree. I like the bowl system, and want it to remain in place as long as possible.
I don't think 15-17 game seasons are reasonable. 12 reg, a conference championship (13), and a first round playoff gets you to 14. It appears most around here need to think with their big heads instead of their little heads.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:04 pm

CVAPP wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
I don't think 15-17 game seasons are reasonable. 12 reg, a conference championship (13), and a first round playoff gets you to 14. It appears most around here need to think with their big heads instead of their little heads.
Fair point. I wasn't really thinking too far into the logistics of it, more on the relative appeal of a championship playoff vs. a midtier bowl game.

That said, what people consider acceptable is heavily influenced by what they're accustomed to. 20 years ago most bowl teams played 12-game seasons. Now the teams in the title game play 15, and they still sit around for a month in between their conference title games and the semifinals. And I've heard little outcry about the length of those teams' season.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:14 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
CVAPP wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Fair point. I wasn't really thinking too far into the logistics of it, more on the relative appeal of a championship playoff vs. a midtier bowl game.

That said, what people consider acceptable is heavily influenced by what they're accustomed to. 20 years ago most bowl teams played 12-game seasons. Now the teams in the title game play 15, and they still sit around for a month in between their conference title games and the semifinals. And I've heard little outcry about the length of those teams' season.
The objective of this topic was to gauge whether folks would prefer being in a playoff- with very long odds against winning the first round versus playing in a really good bowl game- let's throw in, with lots of exposure and excellent recruiting opportunities. Really wasn't meant to extend into the added game argument.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”