Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Entrance fireworks

AppStateMtneer
School: Appalachian State

Re: Entrance fireworks

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm

MDaniels84 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 am
Questions about fireworks, video board volume, and others are answered in this segment from Doug Gillin. :D

http://appstatesports.com/news/2017/9/1 ... ition.aspx
Best AD in the country.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:39 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:35 pm
mom_n_buggie wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:24 am
I didn't get a ticket booklet. My tickets have come through campus mail for about the last 7 years. Do all the tickets that arrive USPS have a booklet?
Yes, season tickets that came via UPS came in a spiral bound booklet which included the clear bag notice. But the athletic department has put out info in multiple sources, (AppStatesports.com, Twitter, FB, Winston-Salem Journal and other spots). I hate you had a bad experience, but I'm not sure how much more the university could have done. Tennessee did it last year, others too.
Slight edit, @Boone Goon. Season tickets ordered before the July 15th cutoff came in the bound booklets. Tickets ordered after the cutoff were "plain print" tickets from the ticket office.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

mountaineeryosef

Unread post by mountaineeryosef » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:18 am

My seats are directly behind the student section, and I paid particular attention to their response to the music during the last game. I've heard for several seasons that the music choices are to keep the students engaged. I did not see a single one who looked as if they even heard the music. The selections were often not high energy, and didn't seem to motivate anyone to do anything. Some of the more cheesy songs that were played late in the game got much more response. So, I get that the students have different musical tastes, but it doesn't seem that those songs are expected or valued at games. And they certainly are not going to get the crowd into the game. WIth a little help from the cheerleaders and the new board, some short, high energy band selections could really rev up the fan base. Just like with the "App...State" chant that never got going at the last game...some arrows on the video board, some prompting by the cheerleaders...it could be loud and proud. All it would take is a little direction. Just my opinion.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:14 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 am
moonshine wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:31 pm
I'm a fan of Back in Black. What other songs with the color black could be used?

Blue Days, Black Nights
Paint it, Black
Little Black Book
Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress
Baby's in Black
Black Magic Woman
Black Fool's Gold
Black Betty
Say it Loud-I'm Black and I'm Proud
Black Sabbath
Man in Black
Black Dog
Black Water
Baa Baa Blacksheep
Fade to Black
Black
Black Gold
Fell on Black Days
Black Coffee
Men in Black
Blue on Black
Blackitolism
Black Hole Sun
Paint the White House Black
Blackout
Black and Yellow
Black or White
Of which the students will know about 2 of those songs. When will the 40+ crowd get it through your thick skulls...THE. MUSIC. PLAYED. IN. THE. STADIUM. IS. NOT. FOR. YOU. It's to keep the 18-22 year old student section happy and hyped. Pure and simple.

If they played Fleetwood Mac would your entire section stand up, dance, cheer, go nuts? No. You'd sit there and quietly nod or tap your toe. When they play that "hip hop crap" our student section who paints their bodies, shows up to pack their section an hour before kickoff, brings flags, screams APP...STATE...APP...STATE at the top of their lungs, and does pushups when we score touchdown, they dance and goes nuts which looks good on tv.

Get over your "I'm a man, I'm 40" sense entitlement.
So...could we get some Neil Diamond?!?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:24 am

Rick83 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:14 am
APPdiesel wrote:
moonshine wrote:
I'm a fan of Back in Black. What other songs with the color black could be used?

Blue Days, Black Nights
Paint it, Black
Little Black Book
Baby's in Black
Black Magic Woman
Black Fool's Gold
Black Betty
Black Sabbath
Man in Black
Black Dog
Black Water
Baa Baa Blacksheep
Fade to Black
Black
Black Gold
Fell on Black Days
Black Coffee
Men in Black
Blue on Black
Blackitolism
Black Hole Sun
Blackout
Black and Yellow
Black or White
Of which the students will know about 2 of those songs. When will the 40+ crowd get it through your thick skulls...THE. MUSIC. PLAYED. IN. THE. STADIUM. IS. NOT. FOR. YOU. It's to keep the 18-22 year old student section happy and hyped. Pure and simple.

If they played Fleetwood Mac would your entire section stand up, dance, cheer, go nuts? No. You'd sit there and quietly nod or tap your toe. When they play that "hip hop crap" our student section who paints their bodies, shows up to pack their section an hour before kickoff, brings flags, screams APP...STATE...APP...STATE at the top of their lungs, and does pushups when we score touchdown, they dance and goes nuts which looks good on tv.

^^^^^^^
MAN LAW VIOLATION

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:33 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:24 am
Rick83 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:14 am
APPdiesel wrote:
moonshine wrote:

Blue Days, Black Nights
Paint it, Black
Little Black Book
Baby's in Black
Black Magic Woman
Black Fool's Gold
Black Betty
Black Sabbath
Man in Black
Black Dog
Black Water
Baa Baa Blacksheep
Fade to Black
Black
Black Gold
Fell on Black Days
Black Coffee
Men in Black
Blue on Black
Blackitolism
Black Hole Sun
Blackout
Black and Yellow
Black or White

^^^^^^^
MAN LAW VIOLATION
UMMM...it's for my wife...yeah for her..

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 am

I see the music and BAND tunes played at other stadiums that get the students going and we play very few of any of those tunes...........We have "neutered" the impact of our Band because no one can hear them. The Biggest improvement to the "Fan Experience" would be to either mic them and/or move them

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:31 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 am
I see the music and BAND tunes played at other stadiums that get the students going and we play very few of any of those tunes...........We have "neutered" the impact of our Band because no one can hear them. The Biggest improvement to the "Fan Experience" would be to either mic them and/or move them
I feel like it's really as simple as this and would make an immediate impact. DG has been really good with getting the "little" details right that have positive downstream impacts that possibly this could be added to the list. Just seems like the band has taken a step back ever since that one band director (shorter guy, glasses, always wore a wool trench coat during the colder games) left. Or at least I think he left...something has definitely changed and it's quite evident with the absence of the band on game days.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:54 pm

It's always a work in progress. The DJ needs to be constantly looking at trends and watching crowd interaction with each song and tweaking his/her playlist accordingly. He/she shouldn't cut an entire generation's music because the vocal minority doesn't like it. Nor should they try to force something down everyone's throats that doesn't garner any interaction.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:38 pm

OR just get rid of the DJ and let the band play like the big boys do.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:16 pm

This post may not be popular but I feel the band's stand music arsenal is weak. It seems they play the same short bits every year, most of which nobody, or very few people, especially students, recognize. It comes off as lazy and old fashioned. If you want the band to engage the students and fans more, the music selection has to be updated every so often.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:33 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:16 pm
This post may not be popular but I feel the band's stand music arsenal is weak. It seems they play the same short bits every year, most of which nobody, or very few people, especially students, recognize. It comes off as lazy and old fashioned. If you want the band to engage the students and fans more, the music selection has to be updated every so often.
Back during the Championship years the APP band was GREAT!!! - they always had everyone rocking - there was no need for any piped in music - I remember near the end of NC Game#1 when it looked like we were going to win and they pumped out "Hey Baby" and the entire stadium was singing --- Ah, the good ol days --- :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:56 am

I think you would be surprised what the 18-20's are aware of musically speaking. My kids remember a lot from their car seat days and I hear some of my +40 music sprinkled in their Spotify. Heard some Rage Against the Machine the other day....proud moment. Frankly I think the mix is okay in the stadium it just comes down to do you appreciate music at the game and the timing. Timing is the issue in my opinion.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:15 am

bcoach wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:38 pm
This would be nice but you know as well as I do the place would be silent most of the time w/o the piped music. Let's face it the crowd has changed over the past 5 years. We had a rowdy crowd during the bandwagon years but they are far from that now. Not bitching, I am happy for every single fan in the stadium and feel they should enjoy the game as they wish (and then leave at halftime to get a no-wait seat at Woodlnds).

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:06 am

appbio91 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:15 am
bcoach wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:38 pm
This would be nice but you know as well as I do the place would be silent most of the time w/o the piped music. Let's face it the crowd has changed over the past 5 years. We had a rowdy crowd during the bandwagon years but they are far from that now. Not bitching, I am happy for every single fan in the stadium and feel they should enjoy the game as they wish (and then leave at halftime to get a no-wait seat at Woodlnds).
I think what is is this:

Once the piped in music started in earnest about 5 years ago, it overwhelmed everything else during the break between plays. The music starts blasting as soon as the ball is set and blasts right up until the qb snaps. It wasn't like that during the years we had huge crowd participation, yelling our as*s's off on defense. I used to be hoarse till Monday after every game... Now we hold up 3 fingers...(lame as all).
Last weekend the PA was so loud during the breaks with both announcements and music that you couldn't even talk with those around you and/or the crowd was really given no chance to "get loud" ...although I will say against SS and during many of our ho-hum blowout games against weak conference opponents there is no reason to get loud...

And as far as the band music playlist, I remember when they were in 206 they had like 25 cards they shuffled to signal the next piece for the next break and they got it in gear at the right time w/ the right piece, often just a quick little ditty that fit the moment...I don't think I heard more that 5 different things played by the band this past weekend.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:51 pm

The two biggest changes in The Band of Distinction between 2005 and 2017 are...

A.) The band's membership (all 150+ of them)
B.) The band's leadership (the director came from Northwestern State U., LA, methinks five short years ago and *bless his heart* hasn't shown me much). I associate the current director with having the band run *helter skelter* to formation rather than march. That makes his job so much easier, but it denigrates the total performance in my view. Tip of the iceberg, IMO!

Sadly, the band's continuity with our "national champ run" exists only in our memories and videos. I don't want to be misunderstood. The members of today's Marching Mountaineers are doing exactly what they're being taught and instructed to do. The director has them meeting his expectations. Expectations seem to have changed rather significantly during his tenure!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Bring this back up for what I saw in the What's new for GameDay article:
http://www.appstatesports.com/news/2017 ... 0.facebook

" PREGAME FESTIVITIES – Get to your seats early as the game balls are scheduled to be delivered to midfield by skydivers during the pregame show, weather permitting. There will also be fireworks that coincide with App State taking the field right before kickoff."

ASUGrad2014

Unread post by ASUGrad2014 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Well... Everyone that was complaining about the lack of entrance fireworks should have been happy today! Seemed like they went on for a long time as the team came on the field! Loved it!

Go Apps!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Definately improved.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:27 pm

Fireworks, sound system, band, what a great day. This was like a REAL big time stadium.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”