Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Georgia Southern should drop football

EmperorEagle
School: Georgia Southern

Georgia Southern should drop football

Unread post by EmperorEagle » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:55 am

Given the situation, our downward spiral will be tough to pull out of. Geography, mindless choices, expectations, costs and abysmal leadership has signed our future akin to Idaho's. It is much more than a bad season as our complete program has been infected. We have turned our program over to a bunch of idiots who have no respect for history nor the intelkigence to drive what was once a Ferrari......best wishes to app as y'all seem to have it figured out.

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Georgia Southern should drop football

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:05 am

Any program can make a bad hire and every program has been there. It is one thing to change the culture of a losing program, it seems to be a mistake to try to do that with a successful one. It should serve as a cautionary tale to any program. Nor should one seek joy at your pain because it can happen anywhere.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:16 am

EE, this seems to be playing out how you wanted back in February if TK will pull the trigger on Summers and name Cooks interim.

"....our only hope is our new OC. Hopefully, we will have a new HC next year."
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 am

This might be blasphamisy, but maybe the problem is your beloved triple option offense. It is a unique offense that not many players want to play in and even fewer coaches are willing to coach against it. With all of the high school talent in the state, there isn't any reason that you shouldn't be getting better talent.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:53 am

I don't follow them closely but last year the new HC was going away from TO. Seemed to have a good young QB to lead the transition. Maybe just the other pieces not in place yet. From the sounds of it he ain't gonna have much time to find them.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:03 am

Ga Southern only has 8 Seniors on their roster. Attrition may be taking its toll.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 am

appbio91 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:53 am
I don't follow them closely but last year the new HC was going away from TO. Seemed to have a good young QB to lead the transition. Maybe just the other pieces not in place yet. From the sounds of it he ain't gonna have much time to find them.
That QB with a good arm played 1 year and decided baseball was a better option going forward.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 am
This might be blasphamisy, but maybe the problem is your beloved triple option offense. It is a unique offense that not many players want to play in and even fewer coaches are willing to coach against it. With all of the high school talent in the state, there isn't any reason that you shouldn't be getting better talent.
I believe they see the problem is that they have away from it and /or have a HC who doesn't understand it.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 am

Terrible Coaching.... that's the problem... go ahead and get rid of Summers or w/e his name is and put in an interim... start searching for the replacement now.

When unfortunately not if Satterfield moves on (and I hope that's a long time from now) I hope we don't also plug in the wrong replacement... the problem started with that hire...and the solution must start with that replacement.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:04 am

I went to an Atlanta Braves game back in June and struck up a conversation with the guy sitting behind me. Turns out he plays... or rather played OL for Georgia Southern. I asked him what the heck was going on down there and they must be happy with the new OC from Ga Tech... his response is that it is a dumpster fire. That he still has a year of eligibility and decided to forego it after initial meetings with their new And realizing nothing was going to change.... he said everyone thinks this means the return of the Triple-O - but that couldn't be further from the truth.

He spoke of being on the field last season and all of the players knowing a called play wasn't going to work as soon as it was signaled in. Described a very toxic environment.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:37 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 am
I believe they see the problem is that they have away from it and /or have a HC who doesn't understand it.
I would agree with that. But they don't understand, or it's arrogance that they think the TO is going to work. They should be fielding multiple offers for home and homes from schools that want access to the Georgia talent, but the risk isn't worth the reward having to play the TO.

CaliApp

Unread post by CaliApp » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:28 pm

EmperorEagle wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:55 am
Given the situation, our downward spiral will be tough to pull out of. Geography, mindless choices, expectations, costs and abysmal leadership has signed our future akin to Idaho's. It is much more than a bad season as our complete program has been infected. We have turned our program over to a bunch of idiots who have no respect for history nor the intelkigence to drive what was once a Ferrari......best wishes to app as y'all seem to have it figured out.
I hope we beat you by 100 this year. And I will enjoy it. Because I know sooner or later the roles will reverse, and y'all bastards will enjoy shoving it down our throats. I mean this in a hopeful way, and also in a way that I want us to beat you by 100.

You'll be back.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:50 am

I get that the TO offense has been good to GS historically and it's a tradition thing but Coach Moore ran the Power I for most of his life and then as an "old dog" made a bold move to the spread and basically re-set our football trajectory. The moral of the story is to celebrate and learn from the past but don't let it hold you back...

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:39 am

But, it was the existing coach who did it here. And, one who had the trust and respect of his players. GS has undergone this change with someone essentially from the outside. Could make a difference.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:39 am
But, it was the existing coach who did it here. And, one who had the trust and respect of his players. GS has undergone this change with someone essentially from the outside. Could make a difference.
Exactly. Somebody from the outside, and coaches with very little track record of success.

We also made that switch with a QB who was a perfect fit for the read option. GS last year had running backs playing QB who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn passing, and offensive staff with zero idea how to mold the offense around the players they had.

Now they're switching back, but without Ellison, Upshaw and Breida (and without veteran OL) to make plays for them.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Georgia Southern lost to THIS:

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:35 pm

It's not the culture, it's the coach. It was a really bad hire that is going to cost them years to rebuild the program. Get rid of him, take your lumps and start rebuilding.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Summers is rough. However, problem #1 for Ga Southern is 0 OL talent.

Btw this could have been App had Elliott been hired. Some guys are just meant to be coordinators.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Bad hire. Take your lumps this year and then try to go after Jamey Chadwell after Joe Moglia comes back from hiatus.

I can't see GASO faithful standing for being (realistically) 0-4 by the time Homecoming rolls around.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:51 pm

The simple fact is the TO is bullshit at the FBS level. The stink fans are living in the past and their program is failing in the here and now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”