Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

IT'S THE WAKE FOREST GAME ---

WVAPPeer
School: Other

IT'S THE WAKE FOREST GAME ---

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:01 pm

OK - the week is here - I have said this before and will say it again - In my mind this is the most important game APP has played since the 3rd National Championship game against Delaware - As most long-timers know, I don't often make these kinds of statements ---

My point is about the impact of this one game and this one game only - Win or lose we still will be favored to win the SBC and go to a SB bowl tie-in game - In fact, we most likely will end up in the same bowl game whether we go 11-1 or 9-4 (or worse) ---

This game is important for the psyche of the program - our standing locally and regionally - If APP wants to continue to "rise" we MUST BEAT a mid-level ACC team on our home field and that is said without taking into consideration the past rivalry and victories as a 1-AA program which make it more relevant!!!

No excuses --- don't care if we win by 1 point UGLY --- a MUST WIN game!!!
I think we will see our guys play their best game in some time ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Re: IT'S THE WAKE FOREST GAME ---

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:32 pm

Yep!!! We got that Miami egg laying incident out of our system...they were overly -scythed and it didn't end up like we wanted...but miamis tradition and wakes tradition are very different. I like our chances...tremendously and I love our 12th man!!!!

biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by biggie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Based on yesterday I severely worry about a repeat of Miami.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:55 pm

On another note, this game is the most important game on Satt's resume to date. He has yet to get a win over a P5 team, a win against Wake would go a long way for his future pursuits.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:16 pm

App cannot simply try to play bleed the clock on offense and hope the defense plays flawlessly to keep it close. Wake has a very good defense and what looks like a more productive offense then they usually do. I really hope we don't go into our 4 corners offense like we are prone to do.

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:33 pm

No pressure

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:00 pm

this is not the Wake Froest of yesteryear (when we were FCS). I feel like their recruiting/athleticism, schemes, etc. are far superior to what they fielded in the old days, when WF and Duke were perennial ACC football doormats.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:12 pm

I hope for great weather, a sell out crowd and and a good game. My confidence has eroded tremendously, but I hope to enjoy the game and beam with Mountaineer pride on Saturday.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:14 pm

biggie wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:54 pm
Based on yesterday I severely worry about a repeat of Miami.
I'm hoping that they played crappy bc they were looking over Texas State and already thinking about Wake. Just gotta shake it off and refocus.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Seems like a good post to make a few requests.

- If we lose, please do not post that "all our goals are still attainable."

- If we lose badly, please do not post that we played them evenly except for the quarter(s) that they blew us out.

- If we lose a close one, please do not post that we played evenly against "an ACC team," earned respect, etc.

No moral victories this week. Either we score a major win or we suffer a damaging loss.

YOSEFRULES

Unread post by YOSEFRULES » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:09 pm

I went to the Wake game Saturday and their fans and the stadium atmosphere are pathetic, definitely a wine and cheese crowd. I was however very impressed with how well they played on both sides of the ball but a lot of that could have been Utah State. What scares me is their hurry up offense and there where several times they lined up with 5 wide receivers. Who's going to cover all those receivers and we always seem to struggle against a hurry up offense. We are going to have to get some quick pressure on their quarterback.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:44 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:29 pm
Seems like a good post to make a few requests.

- If we lose, please do not post that "all our goals are still attainable."

- If we lose badly, please do not post that we played them evenly except for the quarter(s) that they blew us out.

- If we lose a close one, please do not post that we played evenly against "an ACC team," earned respect, etc.

No moral victories this week. Either we score a major win or we suffer a damaging loss.
I pretty much agree with you and I say that because this game has very little to do with the rest of our season - it is about this game only ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:18 pm

This is a game that will define our program either way. We are at that point. Win and we validate ourselves. Lose and we are just another G5 that maybe comes close but cannot beat even a mid level (or lower) P5 at home. We are playing a good football team but definitely a team we can beat. I don't like the term "must win" but this is as close to that as it gets. Hopefully, we win and earn the added respect that comes with it. This is an opportunity that we cannot let slip by us.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:20 pm

This would be our first P5 win in ten years. I view this as the next step as a program.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:23 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:18 pm
This is a game that will define our program either way. We are at that point. Win and we validate ourselves. Lose and we are just another G5 that maybe comes close but cannot beat even a mid level (or lower) P5 at home. We are playing a good football team but definitely a team we can beat. I don't like the term "must win" but this is as close to that as it gets. Hopefully, we win and earn the added respect that comes with it. This is an opportunity that we cannot let slip by us.
I agree - I don't like the term "must win" especially in an early season game which has virtually no bearing on our seasonal goals - that is why I am using the terms "this game only"
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:31 pm

I don't care how "over dramatic" this may seem: I will never get over a loss to Wake on Saturday. I'm speaking only for myself and don't expect anyone else to join me if I jump off a cliff.

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:52 pm

I think we will be ok vs wake. Yea they are good and it will be a tough game. I think we will play hard and win a close one. I hope the coaches prep for the fast tempo and quick plays that killed us vs Miami. Though I am not sold that wake has the talent to do the quick game Miami did last year.

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:57 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:18 pm
It's an important game because it's one of the first manageable P5 games we've played where we aren't two TD dogs before kickoff (at least I hope not 😳). But program defining...eh I don't think so. I mean USA beat Miss St last year and that win seems so much more impressive than a win over Wake but what did it really do for them? However, with Wake there's history and a local interest that will bring more than just another W in the win column. It's going to be a tall order from what I've seen from WF so far..

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:21 pm

I will say this about Wake Forest. They have looked good but they did it against crappy defenses. I am not one to believe in transitive properties when it comes to common opponents, but take a look at what they have done on offense and against who. BC is by far and away the best defense that Wake has faced and they averaged 3 yards a carry. Respectable until you look at what Notre Dame did to them yesterday. The Irish rolled up 512 yards rushing on BC at an average of 10 ypc. Our defense has some opportunities, particularly on the opposite side of Duck. We will be the best defense that they will face this year, and we get Exford back from his one game suspension.

MarxistMountaineer

Unread post by MarxistMountaineer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:41 pm

I agree and disagree with a lot of what is being said so far in this thread. I agree that we're literally going to have zero chance if we just try to "wear them down" with the run and then hope our defense plays lights out. If that is the game plan - which I deeply fear it is - it's going to be a repeat of Miami and there's nothing we can do about it.

I still think some of you are overhyping the importance of this game. Would a win be great? Absolutely. Would a loss be damaging? I don't think so. I don't want to already be making excuses, but it does suck this is looking like the best Wake team in over 10 years. They have a scary good QB and athletes every where. Clawson has done a tremendous job there. We have to be realistic and take into consideration how many more resources they have than we do. I think some of you are getting carried away with the current status of our program. We have been dominant in conference recently, a huge accomplishment this early into our FBS era. Do you know how many teams would kill to just compete for their conference on a yearly basis? Even if we lose to Wake, 10-2 and 8-0 in the conference is absolutely on the table and you're insane if you would consider that a bad season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”