Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

IT'S THE WAKE FOREST GAME ---

JTApps1
School: Appalachian State

Re: IT'S THE WAKE FOREST GAME ---

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 pm

MarxistMountaineer wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:34 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:02 pm
MarxistMountaineer wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:29 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:06 pm
ukappfan wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:52 pm
I think we will be ok vs wake. Yea they are good and it will be a tough game. I think we will play hard and win a close one. I hope the coaches prep for the fast tempo and quick plays that killed us vs Miami. Though I am not sold that wake has the talent to do the quick game Miami did last year.
At least we know what's coming with Wake this year unlike a Miami team that hadnt really shown much of that prior to playing us. Also, thanks to Miami being so successful with it plenty of other teams tested us with up tempo, and by the end of last year we were defending it better.

I don't believe their QB is overly mobile so hopefully we won't have the same issues with that like this week.
False. Wolford has almost 200 yards on the ground through three games. He's clearly the best QB we will face all year.
Fromm and Willaims are better QB's than this kid. He had a career completion percentage of 55% coming into the year, and has played 3 bad to terrible defenses so far. Let's see what happens Saturday.
You are crazy if you think the Tx St QB is better than Wolford. I'm sure Fromm will be better at some point if not by the end of this year, but I truly think Wolford would be starting for UGA right now over Fromm.
You realize that kid played 4 years at Miss. State right? He didn't get a ton of PT, but he was behind that Dak guy for 3 years there.

I'm not saying we won't have to play much better on offense to win, but I also don't think their offense is as good as it appears based on who they've played.
Last edited by JTApps1 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:14 pm

It's fun to speculate. Wait until Saturday evening to form any opinions.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:23 pm

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/ed ... 318cc.html

"The biggest football game in the state this week will be played in Boone. It will also be the most important."
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:36 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:23 pm
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/ed ... 318cc.html

"The biggest football game in the state this week will be played in Boone. It will also be the most important."
Great article, thanks for sharing.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:00 am

This is a good article and if you haven't seen Dave Clawson's presser on the App game you should. And if I were more high tech I would have had the link here. It is in the same vein as article. It's good.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:39 am

It's amazing how perspective changes. Back in the day we used to beat Wake as an FCS team. As far as School size goes App has grown while Wake has stayed relatively the same (I believe). I agree with another poster, Wake is P5 by conference affiliation only. Except for the magical year under Grobe they have only been an ok team. This is the first P5 we have played since the moveup that is closer to our current level. If we get boat raced by this squad we really have work to do. Obviously they are able to get a few athletes that we would love to get but come on now. We should absolutely be able to win a game like this. We will need to pull out a couple of plays that haven't shown up on film. If our offense stays completely within the frame of a television screen it will be tough. We need plays that requires the camera to actually move.

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:44 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:39 am
It's amazing how perspective changes. Back in the day we used to beat Wake as an FCS team. As far as School size goes App has grown while Wake has stayed relatively the same (I believe). I agree with another poster, Wake is P5 by conference affiliation only. Except for the magical year under Grobe they have only been an ok team. This is the first P5 we have played since the moveup that is closer to our current level. If we get boat raced by this squad we really have work to do. Obviously they are able to get a few athletes that we would love to get but come on now. We should absolutely be able to win a game like this. We will need to pull out a couple of plays that haven't shown up on film. If our offense stays completely within the frame of a television screen it will be tough. We need plays that requires the camera to actually move.
This WF squad is better than any team they've had since 07, just for context.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:47 am

ASU2012 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:44 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
I am not saying you are wrong - just wondering what this assumption is based on? ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

dubs21

Unread post by dubs21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:48 am

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:02 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:47 am
ASU2012 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
I am not saying you are wrong - just wondering what this assumption is based on? ---
Anyone who has kept up with Wake football knows this is the best team they have had in a while. Does that mean we can't play with them? No, but to say this is the Wake teams of 2010,2011 would be wrong. Clawson has done a good job rebuilding the culture around that program and I hope he gets his wish and we continue this series. It is to good for both programs to not happen.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 am

Clawson is a great coach that has now turned around FOUR programs that historically are in the bottom half to third in their respective conferences. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some calls for another job either next offseason or the following. Wake however has more talent than App according to recruiting sites and has a top flight coach. We are going to need the ball to bounce our way a couple times.

Check out year four of each stop along his career:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Clawson

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 am

Thanks dub for putting the link here!!

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 am

It will be interesting to see how Wake performs over their next 6 games. I don't think it's put down to say that App State and GaTech are their best shot at a W over the next 6. FSU, @Clemson, Louisville and @Notre Dame is one tough stretch of football, but I think this is a team that could steal one in there and then finish strong against @Syracuse, NC State and Duke. On the other hand, other than the 'Cuse, there's really not a slam dunk left on their schedule including this Saturday at the Rock. Worst case for this Wake team 4-8 beating only the Orange. Best case, I could see Clawson stealing a 9-3 record (dropping only 3 of the 4 against FSU, Clemson, Louisville and ND).

All that is to say what has been mentioned before in this thread, Wake is no Georgia, but they are no pushover either. I think this Wake team can compete with the big boys and App will have to have their best game this year.

I'll be there yelling my fool head off to help rock The Rock! Go APP!
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 am

I would be a little humble at this point cuz crow tastes like crap.

buffaloklaus

Unread post by buffaloklaus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:16 am

Hey guys new to the forum. Wondering if anyone can field this...

With the offensive struggles last week vs Texas State. Does anyone think (or maybe heard) that coach will want to play more aggressive/more passing game, much like we did vs Savannah State. I mean Lamb looked amazing that game. Granted that's Savannah State, but if we are nearly losing to Texas State, probably need to get some offense going. Any word from coach on figuring out the offense?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:29 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:47 am
ASU2012 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
It's not a big leap - they had one more good year under Grobe in '08 (8-5), but after that they were pretty bad every year until last. If one assumes they're improved this year over last (which they look to be), then there you go.

dubs21

Unread post by dubs21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:48 am

Wake was pretty good in '10. Missed a fg to beat clemson. If they had they would have gone to the ACC title game. They lost a tough bowl game in Nashville to Miss St. But Grobe left the cupboard very very bare for Clawson. His first couple years were a serious rebuilding job.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:18 am

dubs21 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:48 am
Wake was pretty good in '10. Missed a fg to beat clemson. If they had they would have gone to the ACC title game. They lost a tough bowl game in Nashville to Miss St. But Grobe left the cupboard very very bare for Clawson. His first couple years were a serious rebuilding job.
Went to law school at Wake and some of my friends from that time were Double Deacs. Watching that game in '10 with them was something else. Grobe playing Grobe ball. Up two touchdowns playing aggressive, then abandoned the pass and tried to start milking the clock at the BEGINNING of the 3rd quarter as if Clemson didn't have the ability to comeback from that margin.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:50 am

Clawson seems to be a great guy as far as coaching NCAA FB. I liked his comments.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:50 am

Clawson seems to be a great guy as far as coaching NCAA FB. I liked his comments.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”