Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

IT'S THE WAKE FOREST GAME ---

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Re: IT'S THE WAKE FOREST GAME ---

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Am I crazy? Last weekend, two days ago, San Diego St. beat Stanford, Memphis beat UCLA, Northern Illinois beat Nebraska, and Ohio beat Kansas. We not only have to beat Wake convincingly (24-13ish) and need UGA to look good against Miss St., or we are nothing more than a nice little P5 program.
Last edited by appgrad95&97 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ASU_MBA

Unread post by ASU_MBA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:24 pm

A couple points:

Many people tend to have the assumption that our issue on offense and vanilla playbook are a result of missing "veteran" WRs. I am not so sure that is the case. Meadors is the only one with any meaningful game experience. Evans played RB last year and at this point Malik Williams has more game experience in the slot than he does. Sure Evans has practiced but he has never played a game in the slot. Mock Adams has 6 lifetime receptions for 63 yards, not exactly a veteran.

The only known component that is missing is Meadors and honestly on the short to middle routes Henningan is probably just as good. The issue is the deep threat that Meadors gives us, but with this Oline I am not sure that matters as Lamb doesn't have the time for that to develop and let's be honest, Lamb is not strong or accurate enough to hit a deep ball while he is on the run. As shown against Tx State if Lamb gets happy feet and scrambles rarely is an accurate throw made. That is just not his strength. Also, those long balls to Meadors were all over play action. It is hard to get play when the running game has no action.

The Offense is what it is at this point. The Oline play at Center and LG has taken a serious step backwards. I don't blame Hannon as he is one gutsy guy to go against a NT that has 40+ pounds on him. But if anyone thinks we can replace a Parker Collins with a true freshman and have no drop off besides less unsportsmanlike penalties....well you are nuts. I am not sure running between the tackles is going to work with much consistency this year. Teams have seen Lamb, they know we are young at WR and if I'm a D Coord., I make Lamb beat me with his arm. That's what all the P5s do and that is what Tx State did and had it not been for great red zone defense they would have prevailed.

Only chance we have is to pass to establish the run. If Satt keeps channeling his inner Jerry Moore/Brad Glenn and runs it up the middle for 2 yards and a cloud of dust over and over again Wake lays the smack down like Miami did.

Also, I think running the JET/hurry up against Wake would be the smartest thing Satt has done in a while. It seems to kill us, why not try it for a change. You know we don't have to snap the ball with 2 seconds on the play clock every down.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:30 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:26 pm
CornCobPipes wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:21 am
We can not blast Satts conservative schemes.....part of coaching is realizing what scheme best fits your personnel.....with three games under belt it hurts that we have not had 3 key offensive weapons in Meadors, Evans and Adams with any snaps......Evans is a dual threat in that he can carry the ball as well giving added dimensions.......OL is going to have to step up and Taylor has got to get his feet ready for a quicker release.....To me I thought his throwing mechanics and release time were much improved vs UGA it's just their defense was such a beast....UGA defense at this point is very underated......I am missing Cox big time in his ability to find the crease even when only one to find.....he was uncanny.....I just hope our coaching is able to make solid halftime adjustments.....to a degree they did a good job of that vs TSU......We have got to have some possession time on offense to avoid gassing the D again........so against the odds here is to beating the demon out of the Deacs!

Moore has to produce for us to win.
Ok I spent some time last night looking at some game footage from last year and our first three games. Moore is certainly faster and stronger than Cox in the open field. I think we all know that. All Moore needs to do to get similar results is not press. Try not to put the pedal to floor as soon as you get the ball. The O-line timing seems to be a little different this year, holes are smaller and may develop slower. Trust your line, Just take a deep breath before the snap, move with the O-line and let the blocking develop, keep your eyes open and scanning and keep a little more space behind the line to see and adjust, don't just commit to something that is not there expecting to use your strength to just bust through. Be willing to cut it back against the grain to find daylight. Once you find daylight then put the hammer down. Use your speed and strength on the second level and secondary. They are going to key on Moore so doing the unexpected (changing speed and direction) every few plays to keep them from just pursuing to our point of attack is the key as well as a Cox trademark. There are 11 players, try not to shoulder too much and Let it flow...and you will be back on track averaging 6+ a carry.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Right now I think it has to be about perfect for us to win.

We have to have no TOs and Wake has to turn it over.

We would also need Moore and Lamb at 100%, as well as get Meadors back (Evans/Adams would help as well). I'd hope that Adams could develop into a Quick-type threat as far as going up and winning 50/50 balls.

I worry about our D a lot less than I do our O.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm

MarxistMountaineer wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:34 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:02 pm
MarxistMountaineer wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:29 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:06 pm
ukappfan wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:52 pm
I think we will be ok vs wake. Yea they are good and it will be a tough game. I think we will play hard and win a close one. I hope the coaches prep for the fast tempo and quick plays that killed us vs Miami. Though I am not sold that wake has the talent to do the quick game Miami did last year.
At least we know what's coming with Wake this year unlike a Miami team that hadnt really shown much of that prior to playing us. Also, thanks to Miami being so successful with it plenty of other teams tested us with up tempo, and by the end of last year we were defending it better.

I don't believe their QB is overly mobile so hopefully we won't have the same issues with that like this week.
False. Wolford has almost 200 yards on the ground through three games. He's clearly the best QB we will face all year.
Fromm and Willaims are better QB's than this kid. He had a career completion percentage of 55% coming into the year, and has played 3 bad to terrible defenses so far. Let's see what happens Saturday.
You are crazy if you think the Tx St QB is better than Wolford. I'm sure Fromm will be better at some point if not by the end of this year, but I truly think Wolford would be starting for UGA right now over Fromm.
I think Wolford might be third string on UGA. He might not be starting for Wake if Hinton hadn't torn up his knee last year.

That said, sometimes guys do have the light bulb come on before their last year. Maybe he's one of them.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Will we have a Sun Belt officiating crew on Saturday?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:39 pm

biggie wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:34 pm

We would also need Moore and Lamb at 100%, as well as get Meadors back (Evans/Adams would help as well). I'd hope that Adams could develop into a Quick-type threat as far as going up and winning 50/50 balls.

I don't think the gap is so big that we need some kind of perfect storm. But I certainly agree that we need to be much better on offense than we've seen so far.

Wouldn't get my hopes up for Adams btw. Fingers crossed for the other two.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:44 pm

This is not meant as a knock in any way on Wolford because from what I have seen over the years he is solid but he is not a star-type who would be starting at UGA - I mean, really??? - nor would Taylor start at UGA - I believe it was "marxist" who has been plugging him and if he is a personal friend or relative then I don't blame you one bit --- If I remember correctly, wasn't he in a battle all spring and fall for the QB position and I don't believe he was named the starter until just before the season opener ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:49 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:39 pm
biggie wrote:

I don't think the gap is so big that we need some kind of perfect storm. But I certainly agree that we need to be much better on offense than we've seen so far.

If Adams is out I'd hope he'd look at a Med-RS.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:51 pm

ASU MBA; You make a valid suggestion that the missing players may not be the reason for the vanilla playbook. I would counter that even though the older guys don't have the experience, aside from Meadors, they do have a major advantage to knowing the full playbook. You can't call a play where the hot route is to one of these Freshmen if they don't know what to do with the call.

As for a perfect storm, Wake forced four turnovers against Utah St. we have a QB that doesn't turn the ball over. I will excuse the fumble Saturday as an effort play. It wasn't carelessness. Hold onto the ball, move the chains, ama don't let their QB have the game of his life and we should be fine.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:12 pm

biggie wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:49 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:39 pm
biggie wrote:

If Adams is out I'd hope he'd look at a Med-RS.
Remember that he already redshirted a year, and the rule is that he'd have to show that that year was for medical reasons also in order to get a sixth year.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:27 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:12 pm
Remember that he already redshirted a year, and the rule is that he'd have to show that that year was for medical reasons also in order to get a sixth year.
I'd forgot about he had already taken one.

dubs21

Unread post by dubs21 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Wolford was playing behind probably the worst offensive line in college football his freshman year and they were almost as terrible his sophmore year. He was a real warrior, with how many sacks and knockdowns he received. He has been in a battle with Hinton for the last three years. Hinton throws a better deep ball, and is the more elusive runner. Hinton is probably faster, way more quick. But Wolford is a much better game manager, throws a better screen pass, medium range pass. Fromm played well against us, but Wolford will probably be the best qb we play this year not counting a bowl matchup. Wake's run game is much improved the last two years. Freshman Arkeem Byrd (third string, but leading rusher) adds a much different breakaway speed element to the run game. The starter Carney and backup Colburn are both thick in between the tackles runners. They push the pile forward. The pass game is also improved from last year. Biggest reasons are a healthy Cam Serigne (TE) who was injured most of last year and couldn't get any separation in routes. Greg Dortch is a Devin Hester with better hands type of player. He is a redshirt freshman slot receiver and kick returner. He can take it to the house everytime he touches the ball. The App secondary will have to keep him contained.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:35 pm

The best passing QB App will see this year will be Linehan (Idaho), he just won't have the athletes Wolford will have around him.

App will need to score 30 to win Saturday, going to need a timely turnover or two.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Reminds me...Mr Duck was on the hunt Saturday. In addition to the timely pick he put some major league hits on some guys.

dubs21

Unread post by dubs21 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:35 pm
The best passing QB App will see this year will be Linehan (Idaho), he just won't have the athletes Wolford will have around him.

App will need to score 30 to win Saturday, going to need a timely turnover or two.
Forgot that kid. He's a great passer.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Wake may light us up. But I'm going to reserve judgment on that. They were not a very good offense last year, and the one time they've faced an opponent with a pulse this year their offense was so-so but their D turned it into a blowout for them.

I don't think we'll score a ton on them, but we may be able to win a low-scoring game.

dubs21

Unread post by dubs21 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Yeah, wake went very conservative against BC. Despite what ND did to BC last week, they have a very good defense. Wake got turnovers early and had the lead, no need to do anything fancy. I think App and Wake will matchup very well. We have had the tougher schedule so far and haven't looked as good, but the talent is there. Need to get the run game clicking for sure.

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:25 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm
Looking forward to the game but I am not sure this offense can score enough points against a good team. If we wait until halftime to adjust it might be too late. Agree fans will play a big part. Let's hope for a cool mountain day for the defense sake. Hoping my gut feeling about this game is very wrong.
This.

Defense will be just fine. Concerned w/ offense actually putting points on the board. We average 11 points against vs. P5 schools over the last 8 years.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:18 pm

ASUGoose wrote: This.

Defense will be just fine. Concerned w/ offense actually putting points on the board. We average 11 points against vs. P5 schools over the last 8 years.
Clawson has them headed in the right direction but they are P5 in name only. The Deacs ride coattails and collect a check. Those teams App only averages 11 points against are the upper echelon of the college football landscape. Let's please not place those yuppies on a pedestal with the likes of Clemson, VT, Michigan and UGA.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”