Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The sad delusions of the FBS bottom dwellers - Weak Forest

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

Re: The sad delusions of the FBS bottom dwellers - Weak Forest

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:24 am

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:12 pm
For perspective, this week's CBS bottom 25 contains 7 SBC teams. That's 70% of the league. :oops:
If you include transitioning Coastal for 2017, it's only 58% of the Sun Belt. The conference is not looking good so far in the 2017 season. Only 2 teams (App & Troy) have a winning record, 2 at .500 and 8 below .500. Three teams (GS, GSU & ULM) are winless to date.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:59 am

That CBS Bottom 25 does NOT represent a valid picture of bad teams. They like to list traditionally good teams who struggle. For example, they have been including Arkansas State this year, but there is no way that ASU is one of the Bottom 25 in FBS. Frankly, I'm surprised App didn't make the list after our Week 1 loss to Georgia.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 am

MtnMan09 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:56 am

Can we revisit all of these "Texas State is a good/ much improved team" after they go 2-6 or 3-5 in conference? Why are some incapable of acknowledging we didn't play well and that its bothersome?
I think the comparisons to the Troy game a couple years ago seem valid. Troy WAS improving, but it didn't always show up that year, and they went 4-8. Then we saw the fuller product last year. But that game was also about us not playing well (in part due to injuries), which unfortunately continued the next game vs. A-State.

I think the last game was a combination of Texas State's young talent starting to show and us not playing well, mainly offensively.

I think your guess on Texas State's season will prove to be about correct. Truthfully, there's not much evidence to say they're so improved this year EXCEPT our game against them. But, I do think they've improved their talent level, and it will start to show in more wins over the next couple years.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 am

Texas St.'s run defense is really good, pass defense is still a weakness, offense is probably in the bottom third of the SBC. SBC teams that can pass the ball will be able to outscore Texas St. They would match up very well vs. GS this year, but they don't play.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:26 am

moonshine wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:24 am
Gonzo wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:12 pm
For perspective, this week's CBS bottom 25 contains 7 SBC teams. That's 70% of the league. :oops:
If you include transitioning Coastal for 2017, it's only 58% of the Sun Belt. The conference is not looking good so far in the 2017 season. Only 2 teams (App & Troy) have a winning record, 2 at .500 and 8 below .500. Three teams (GS, GSU & ULM) are winless to date.
Yeah but to be fair, if stAte played Miami we all know stAte would've walked away with a "W" :roll: :lol:
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 am

Per Texas State - none of us know how their season will turn out but the one very important factor that some are missing is this - this a program with a new but proven coach (he built JMU into a national champion) who had a strong recruiting class in a monster high school football state and a team which had been working very hard, I am sure, in the off-season to prepare for the SBC - they have the defending champion coming to town for the home opener - ANYONE on here who has been a player and/or coach will remember the excitement and enthusiasm and hope that comes with the beginning of a new season. You add to that that the head coach is an alumnus of the defending champion coming to town and there you have it - WHAT COULD BE BETTER THAN BEATING THE DEFENDING CHAMPION ON YOUR HOME FIELD IN THE FIRST CONFERENCE GAME - WHAT A HELL OF A START TO THE SEASON --- IT HAS SO MUCH MORE TO DO WITH OTHER THAN HOW GOOD YOUR TEAM WAS LAST YEAR OR HOW GOOD IT MIGHT BE THIS YEAR --- IT WAS ABOUT THIS SEASONS OPENING GAME !!! - and Texas State played well ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 am
Per Texas State - none of us know how their season will turn out but the one very important factor that some are missing is this - this a program with a new but proven coach (he built JMU into a national champion) who had a strong recruiting class in a monster high school football state and a team which had been working very hard, I am sure, in the off-season to prepare for the SBC - they have the defending champion coming to town for the home opener - ANYONE on here who has been a player and/or coach will remember the excitement and enthusiasm and hope that comes with the beginning of a new season. You add to that that the head coach is an alumnus of the defending champion coming to town and there you have it - WHAT COULD BE BETTER THAN BEATING THE DEFENDING CHAMPION ON YOUR HOME FIELD IN THE FIRST CONFERENCE GAME - WHAT A HELL OF A START TO THE SEASON --- IT HAS SO MUCH MORE TO DO WITH OTHER THAN HOW GOOD YOUR TEAM WAS LAST YEAR OR HOW GOOD IT MIGHT BE THIS YEAR --- IT WAS ABOUT THIS SEASONS OPENING GAME !!! - and Texas State played well ---
Great point, also that QB missed 3 weeks of camp prior to the season because of GRE scores or something so he was pretty new to their offense for their first 2 games. Probably started getting things figured out by the time we showed up and don't forget he's an SEC-quality QB and a big boy. I'm more concerned with our injury situation on offense...the defense is going to have to carry the team until the offense heals and the OL gels. Probably good that we have an open weekend following this one.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:16 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 am
I agreed. We really don't know who is good and who is not at this point in the season. Texas St could be a dog again this year, or they could finish top three in the SB. Time will tell. I think after three weeks at 2-1, your outlook should neither be too high nor too low.

At the beginning of the season it seemed our fan base was more confident we would beat Wake. Now we are not so sure because of a close road win, in Texas, in 90 degrees heat, with Moore a non factor?

Wake has not been challenged at all this season. On paper they should win this game, but in reality they are as beatable as we all thought they were at the beginning of the season. It will be close, but we win this game.

dubs21

Unread post by dubs21 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:25 am

MarxistMountaineer wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:29 pm
"The football team has always been like some kind of renegade biker gang that would take a ton of noon-qualifiers and Wake's castoffs and flunkies, who would then talk shit about Wake (Orlebar). They've always been a bunch of overmatched shittalkers willing to take it out on their superior opponents' knees, evidenced again by the first quarter of their first game of the year when they took out a 5-star sophomore quarterback on their way to falling behind 31-0 to a 4-star freshman quarterback.

And Armanti Edwards sucks. I know it's not his fault, but he took a valuable draft pick from the Panthers."

Said by a Wake fan on their forum today. As others have pointed out, a lot of the talk about this game shows excitement and respect towards our program. But some of those guys on there suck.
That guy is most likely a parody poster. He posts a lot of ridiculous stuff

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:27 am

dubs21 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:25 am
"The football team has always been like some kind of renegade biker gang that would take a ton of noon-qualifiers and Wake's castoffs and flunkies, who would then talk shit about Wake (Orlebar). They've always been a bunch of overmatched shittalkers willing to take it out on their superior opponents' knees, evidenced again by the first quarter of their first game of the year when they took out a 5-star sophomore quarterback on their way to falling behind 31-0 to a 4-star freshman quarterback.

And Armanti Edwards sucks. I know it's not his fault, but he took a valuable draft pick from the Panthers."

Said by a Wake fan on their forum today. As others have pointed out, a lot of the talk about this game shows excitement and respect towards our program. But some of those guys on there suck.
Same guy that used to extol the virtues of UNCC football............

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:29 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:27 am
dubs21 wrote:

Oh and I killed all your trees in the Quad....you POS w FU fam

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:35 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:29 am
Rekdiver wrote:
dubs21 wrote:

Wait what? I knew some of their trees had to be removed. What happened and how was it connected to that poster?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:38 am

MtnMan09 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:35 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:29 am
Rekdiver wrote:
dubs21 wrote:

Wait what? I knew some of their trees had to be removed. What happened and how was it connected to that poster?
Referring to the WFU fan.............(just stoking the fire)

Wally

Unread post by Wally » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:45 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:40 am
dubs21 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:33 am
Guys, i've been on OGBoards since it started. There are literally hundreds of parody accounts. Also, there are plenty of idiots in every fan base.

The post in question is just stupid, i wouldn't give it much thought.
Thanks to some lovely IRS deadlines, I was later than usual signing up for the visiting team's board. I usually offer a little help with things like parking, restaurants, etc. It's just the polite thing to do. I've registered for their board but haven't been "approved" yet. Do you have a sense of how long that approval process takes?
Sadly I was denied an account on the mighty OG&B forum... here is the email I received:

Unfortunately your registration at Old Gold and Black Forums did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted.

No Trolling for me!!!

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Wally wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:45 pm
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
dubs21 wrote:
Guys, i've been on OGBoards since it started. There are literally hundreds of parody accounts. Also, there are plenty of idiots in every fan base.

Thanks to some lovely IRS deadlines, I was later than usual signing up for the visiting team's board. I usually offer a little help with things like parking, restaurants, etc. It's just the polite thing to do. I've registered for their board but haven't been "approved" yet. Do you have a sense of how long that approval process takes?
Sadly I was denied an account on the mighty OG&B forum... here is the email I received:

Unfortunately your registration at Old Gold and Black Forums did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted.

No Trolling for me!!!
Hmmm. They actually let me in. Must be my granny status. :)
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Wally

Unread post by Wally » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:36 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:17 pm
Wally wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:45 pm
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
dubs21 wrote:

No Trolling for me!!!
Hmmm. They actually let me in. Must be my granny status. :)
Funniest thing to me is that I live in W-S and I have season tickets for soccer... take my kids to Spry Stadium all the time. Not sure what requirements I didn't meet! LOL! It just wasn't meant to be...

WakeFan
School: Wake Forest

Unread post by WakeFan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:17 pm

I think this will be a competitive game. My daughter has degrees from both schools, BA from App and MBA from Wake so I like both schools and really enjoy the games I have went to at each school. Every fan base has some jerks in it, but I think the vast majority of the fan bases at these fine universities are top notch. Wake is a very solid team with a lot of speed and a senior QB so don't expect them to roll over for anybody on the schedule and to play with effort. The issue at Wake is, and has been, depth after the first 30 or so players and that is the best hope App St has, get into the 2nd string and try to manufacture some turnovers. With the importance of this being the first time App has gotten Wake up to Boone for a game, I expect their fans and players to be really psyched up to start the game and for a tight first half. Unfortunately for your sake, I think Wake is the more talented team and their (our) talent will prevail after half for a final of 28-13 Wake. Football is a game of emotion (as well as talent) so that always gives a team maybe not quite as talented a shot to win just about any game. Regardless of the outcome, I pray for a clean, injury free game with both sides playing their best.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:54 pm

Boise State sucks, on a side note.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Their board cracked me up. They were going to murder us and we didn't deserve to be on the same field (and I unfortunately shared their speculation) after the game we were still "awful" and an FCS team and fans that "don't know football." Only they glossed right over that they only beat that "awful" "FCS" team by 1 point, that it took several mistakes on our part for them to do it, and that their big bad players ran out on the field in jubilant celebration like they had won a "meaningful" game after the block. Someone should've told them they were "just" playing Appalachian.

Also saw one of their posters claim the stadium wasn't "even close" to be being full. Besides objectively being a lie, of all the programs to take swipes at game attendance I think they rank at the bottom.

Hate we couldn't have made a few less mistakes, pulled it out, and really watch them melt down.

teaasu76

Unread post by teaasu76 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:30 pm

As far as attendance goes. It was announced on the post game show that the crowd for the game was the largest to ever witness an App-Wake game. Note that all previous games were played in W-S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”