Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ASU / ECU Weather... the early look...

WXAPP
School: Appalachian State

ASU / ECU Weather... the early look...

Unread post by WXAPP » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Looking like Issac shouldn't be an issue for the game. Here's hoping that trend holds.

Another year and proud to be a MOUNTAINEER!
Twitter: @wxcrum

firemoose

Re: ASU / ECU Weather... the early look...

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Don't want to alarm anyone and AccuWeather long term is usually off this far out but they are calling for Extreme Heat on the 31st and the 1st with highs at 96. Let's hope that is way off. I've seen it say that we were going to be -10 in the same extended forcast during the winter and by the time the date rolls around we're 30 so let's everybody cross their fingers that, in this case, they are WAY OFF!!! But as WXAPP said this is the early look. I'm sure he'll keep us posted as game day gets closer.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:22 pm

WRAL just said that we might not see 90 until possibly Labor Day Monday or even Tuesday. Presumably Greenville would be the same.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Yeah take those long range forecasts with a grain of salt. Trends are what to monitor for now. Reality may be something different. Either way, keep in mind, if it's sunny, it just gets flat out hot in the stands. With direct sunlight, add another 10 to 15 degrees on top of the actual temp. The impact is substantial especially when you are wearing all black. Hydration (non-alcoholic beverages )and breaks in the shade are key to surviving the last heat of summer and life in the stands.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:14 pm

Yeah....I know about the direct sunlight. I worked for the railroad in both Florida and the Richmond/Petersburg VA areas (or as I like to call it "the seventh circle of Hades"). Believe it or not, night was sometimes worse than day. Think about working at 4:00am when it's 85-90 and foggy. That's nuts and it felt like you needed an IV of Gatoraide just to make it through.

I put some nice lines about trends and current patterns in my first post but I lost it somehow. Just love when that happens. Oh well...I'm only a storm chaser and spotter with a minor in Meteorology and my concentration is tropical weather anyway. WXAPP is the man for gameday weather. I'll leave the forcasting to him. ;)

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Nice! BTW anyone named Firemoose is OK in my book. My roommate my SR year at app was a guy we called Moose! To this day, I know several! You have put in your outdoor time for sure!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Born in Petersburg many moons ago.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:10 am

So sorry for you.... :lol:

I spent a lot of time working out of the Petersburg NS yard; working Hopewell, CSX Collier, the Auto Ramp, and the Atlantic Waste dump in Waverly while splitting time coming out of Crewe. Leaving Petersburg at 2 or 3 in the morning was always a thrill, trying to wind through the projects to get to 85/95. The drug dealers got to know my truck so well they would wave at me.

I saw you're in Rocky Mount. I qualified all seven directions out of Roanoke, including running on the "Pumpkin Vine" by you hauling coal to the Belews Creek plant and freight to Winston Salem. Anyone that's been to a race in Martinsville; I was on a few of those trains that they would film passing the track. I was a conductor during the time that they were building the new section of track so I got to run on both the old and new. Caught a few laps as we were passing. It felt like you were going to go right onto the track on the old layout. Lots of fun.

strongwxnc

Unread post by strongwxnc » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:52 am

Looking forward to any updated Crum.

Speaking of long range, I find it hard to think it will be as hot at Accu is stating. Unless Issac brings in the heat.

Here is to no rain on 9/1 :)

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:59 am

firemoose wrote:So sorry for you.... :lol:

I spent a lot of time working out of the Petersburg NS yard; working Hopewell, CSX Collier, the Auto Ramp, and the Atlantic Waste dump in Waverly while splitting time coming out of Crewe. Leaving Petersburg at 2 or 3 in the morning was always a thrill, trying to wind through the projects to get to 85/95. The drug dealers got to know my truck so well they would wave at me.

I saw you're in Rocky Mount. I qualified all seven directions out of Roanoke, including running on the "Pumpkin Vine" by you hauling coal to the Belews Creek plant and freight to Winston Salem. Anyone that's been to a race in Martinsville; I was on a few of those trains that they would film passing the track. I was a conductor during the time that they were building the new section of track so I got to run on both the old and new. Caught a few laps as we were passing. It felt like you were going to go right onto the track on the old layout. Lots of fun.
I actually grew up in Hopewell and had a neighbor that worked for Norfolk and Western in those days. My dad worked for Allied Chemical and in the summers I worked at Continental Can. In my day, Hopewell and Petersburg were bitter rivals. Of course, they had Moses Malone on their side.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Early scan of the medium range data suggests mid 80s, partly cloudy skies and the chance for a shower / storm. It appears, on the first glean of the data, if you were at the last matchup with ECU, it will likely feel as hot and humid. So, I'd wear the GOLD (cooler) and limit the Black (hotter).

No tropical systems should be in the chute, thus, have at it and enjoy a worthy rivalry.

I'll have a better grasp on the data and meteorological reality next week.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:46 pm

I sure hope your crystal ball holds true, the WC site has it changed now to 60% chance of rain!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:09 pm

hapapp wrote:

I actually grew up in Hopewell and had a neighbor that worked for Norfolk and Western in those days. My dad worked for Allied Chemical and in the summers I worked at Continental Can. In my day, Hopewell and Petersburg were bitter rivals. Of course, they had Moses Malone on their side.
Ah the good ol' days of working the Allied/Honeywell plant. Shoving 10 to 15 cars from the NS Hopewell yard across the two crossings, into the plant and then having to cut them off and take the units, walk the spiderweb of tracks trying to find the empties they had put throughout all their tracks, and then dig them out from among the loads still waiting. I hated that plant worse than any one that we worked. At least the Hercules plant had most everything moved where we could get it.

BTW, when I was there, people in Hopewell and Petersburg still didn't care too much for one another and those in Colonial Heights didn't like either one... :)

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:37 pm

firemoose wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Ah the good ol' days of working the Allied/Honeywell plant. Shoving 10 to 15 cars from the NS Hopewell yard across the two crossings, into the plant and then having to cut them off and take the units, walk the spiderweb of tracks trying to find the empties they had put throughout all their tracks, and then dig them out from among the loads still waiting. I hated that plant worse than any one that we worked. At least the Hercules plant had most everything moved where we could get it.

BTW, when I was there, people in Hopewell and Petersburg still didn't care too much for one another and those in Colonial Heights didn't like either one... :)
I doubt much has changed. When I grew up there I thought it was wonderful living in the "Wonder City." When I now go back there, it seems so different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”