Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Dangerously over capacity

97grad
School: Appalachian State

Dangerously over capacity

Unread post by 97grad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:46 pm

As happy I am to see we've packed the house, attendance should have been cutoff sooner. The situation under the East stands is completely unsafe. If an evacuation were necessary people would be trampled no question about it. That said, GO APPS!

AppDawg

Re: Dangerously over capacity

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:07 am

At the end of the game, we need to open the track and let the students on the west side exit the stadium that way. While letting the upper part of stadium use the west concourse.

Also, WHY do the band/cheerleaders/ trainers insist on carrying equipment in the opposite direction of the crowd after a game... can they not have access to the field/track and use the ramp the team uses?

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:14 am

AppDawg wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:07 am
At the end of the game, we need to open the track and let the students on the west side exit the stadium that way. While letting the upper part of stadium use the west concourse.

Also, WHY do the band/cheerleaders/ trainers insist on carrying equipment in the opposite direction of the crowd after a game... can they not have access to the field/track and use the ramp the team uses?
I agree, at first I thought they were carrying a stretcher over the heads of the crowd but it was a flag. A second flag then started making its way upstream through the crowd and some students grabbed the trailing end as a joke which caused the chearleaders to pull harder which almost hit an older fan right in the face with the end of the pole. Totally unnecessary and dangerous, like they couldn't wait 10 or 15 minutes for the crowd to filter out?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 am

I asked the cheerleaders why they were going up the stands after the game and they said they couldn't exit via the field.

It took way too long for some people just to move from their seats.

At least EPI Security secured the football field that no one was using. Thank goodness for that.

If there was a real emergency, thousands of people would have been in trouble.

Unread post by 8993 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:41 am

There were at least hundreds of fans (including myself) who remained in their seats for 15 to 20 minutes after the game, just because there was no organization to leaving the stadium and it resulted in bottlenecks at every single exit that was open. All exit gates need to open at the end of the gate, regardless of whether they were an entry gate or not. Additionally, I noticed the same stuff with the cheerleaders and interns. I'm sure they're in a rush to get home, too, but let most of the fans get out before you rush up and cause even more chaos and traffic problems.

From what I can remember, there are five exit gates that people should be able to utilize at the end of the game. For massive games like this, those five gates need to be open. I noticed that the fire alarm in the Athletic Center was going off at the end of the game last night, and had that been real, I can't imagine how many people would have been trampled and seriously injured. If we're making a plan to pull so many people into the stadium, we have to make a plan on how to push so many people out of the stadium as fast as possible.

Here are those five gates that need to be opened:

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Dangerous? Couldn't be any more Dangerous than sitting in section 603 at the UGA game.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:54 pm

It was great to see 25-30k inside KBS at the end of the game. If we would have won, no one would care about waiting a little while to exit. It was not dangerous. Just had to be patient. Let the students go first and then the upper sections can exit. Why does every have to complain about something? Just glad we broke an attendance record at the Rock and I was glad to be a part of it.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Could have been handled better. I am sure it was observed and a plan will be put in place for next time. More often than not you don't get solutions until there is a problem.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Ever been to a Panthers game? Takes just as much time to get out and it's elbow to elbow.....

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:15 pm

This didn’t seem worse than Miami or even some of the big homecoming games from the mid to late 00’s.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Everyone staying until the end is a great problem to have.

jm18668

Unread post by jm18668 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:59 pm

Having been at a game where they did evacuate due to lightning the track is opened for students to exit as soon as the teams clear the field.

Crowd barriers allowIng students to enter and exit via the track would be a great help for crowd flow.

I’m looking forward to having to find solutions to these type of problems.
Brad Manning '99
Raleigh, NC

MarxistMountaineer

Unread post by MarxistMountaineer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:54 pm
It was great to see 25-30k inside KBS at the end of the game. It we would have won, no one would care about waiting a little while to exit. It was not dangerous. Just had to be patient. Let the students go first and then the upper sections can exit. Why does every have to complain about something? Just glad we broke an attendance record at the Rock and I was glad to be a part of it.
I think this is a valid concern. No one is concerned about having to wait a few extra minutes to leave the stadium because that is normal most places, but if there was ever an emergency where the stadium had to be evacuated immediately things could get disastrous quickly. If you're a fan of soccer, there have been incidents in the past where exit (and entrance) ways are limited/poorly planned and it's lead to the death of hundreds.

No reason for being extra cautious here.

appst1992

Unread post by appst1992 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:16 pm

I loved it. Wish every game was as crowded as yesterday.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm sure our school has a plan in the event of a stadium emergency situation. Our school even put instructions of what to do on the videoboard during pregame. The five gates we did not use to enter the stadium were not locked. There was at least one person at each of those gates for the whole game. I'm sure all exits in a real emergency would be used and the PA announcer would give instructions. People were simply directed to go out the way they entered.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:45 pm

I was in a room of 200 that was rocketed, and dozens were injured from that trampling. It is dangerous, it does need to be remedied. Go Apps.

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:14 pm

To clarify, I was not talking about exiting after the game, though obviously some are. I was talking about the situation under the stands *during* the game. I stand by my comment; there were too many people and it was neither safe nor enjoyable. The location of the vendors should be looked at and ribbons need to be added to manage concession lines, which otherwise stretch the width of the concourse and beyond. That would not have helped much yesterday, but it still needs to be done. Hell, they ran out of water and were selling stadium cups of tap water for $5. This game was sold out quite a while ago, there's no excuse for not being better prepared.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:48 pm

97grad wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:14 pm
To clarify, I was not talking about exiting after the game, though obviously some are. I was talking about the situation under the stands *during* the game. I stand by my comment; there were too many people and it was neither safe nor enjoyable. The location of the vendors should be looked at and ribbons need to be added to manage concession lines, which otherwise stretch the width of the concourse and beyond. That would not have helped much yesterday, but it still needs to be done. Hell, they ran out of water and were selling stadium cups of tap water for $5. This game was sold out quite a while ago, there's no excuse for not being better prepared.
You likely witnessed the 1-2000 GA folks who weren't sitting on the hill. We need some bleachers on the hill.

dtrain4prez

Unread post by dtrain4prez » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:08 pm

97grad wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:14 pm
I agree completely. Near the end of the 2nd quarter, I went to use the restroom and pick up a couple of $4 bottles of water. It was a madhouse under there. No organization. Heck, no movement period for several minutes. After finally making it to the restroom, I stopped by 3 vendors who were completely out of drinks. I eventually found a couple of guys who had some Mtn. Dew left and settled for that. Everyone knew 35,000 were going to be there....why not have a better plan to accommodate that many folks?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”